Autism & Role-Playing Games - Page 2 of 13

I have never looked at role-playing games - Page 2 - Psychology, Special Needs, Health - Posted: 19th Jun, 2015 - 11:10pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6  ...Latest (13) »
Best of  Autism & Role-playing Games RPGs for those on the Autism Spectrum. If you are autistic does being in a role-playing setting help with social skills? Does participating in online play by post methods allow a release?
Post Date: 16th Jun, 2015 - 3:40am / Post ID: #

Autism & Role-Playing Games - Page 2

Name: Steven

Title: Autism & Role-Playing Games

Comments: I'm 41 and haven't been professionally diagnosed, but should've been with Asbergers.

The one thing that's a major boon for Role-playing Game and hobby gaming community (Boardgames/etc) in general is there is an un-written rule:
.. If the event is public, act friendly to everyone even someone you don't like.

I'm friendly to everyone, because that's who I am. But, I didn't realize for years that this was something within the gamer culture that was always on the surface. I always felt welcomed, because that's the social norm.

Sure, there are times they go to their social circles that I wasn't a part of, but there was enough group activities at Role-playing Game events and LARPs that I always felt like part of something bigger than myself.

I was able to focus on my own social flaws and explore them in a fake environment to understand the triggers for wrong behavior occurred. It still took NLP classes (After learning of my diagnosis) to know the "right thing to do", but at the time knowing what not to do was so much better than doing the wrong thing.

Source: Personal Experience

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 16th Jun, 2015 - 10:57am / Post ID: #

Someone commented...

Games Role-Playing and Autism

Tim: I've just been diagnosed with Asperger's. (I'm 39.) I've always been quiet and had difficulty making friends. Playing Role-Playing Games ('live', not online) helps me to interact with people on a social level that I otherwise find difficult.

Post Date: 16th Jun, 2015 - 11:42am / Post ID: #

Someone commented...

Autism & Role-Playing Games Health & Special Psychology

Laurence: Good article. I would want to point out however how important it is to let other players know if they are to play with someone who has autism - and the nature of behaviours that might be exhibited. A couple of years ago I played a game at a convention where a 'difficult player' essentially wrecked it. It was only afterwards, when talking it through with an upset Dungeon Master that the behaviour was indicative of autism. I only know a very little bit about it, but in that situation I was 'the one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind.' I've played games since with people who have very mild autism, and they've been great, but it really helps to know in advance and have some advice about how to deal with upsets.

16th Jun, 2015 - 11:46am / Post ID: #

Page 2 Games Role-Playing and Autism

Good input. That is why in the thread I mentioned that not all those under the spectrum can handle a live session and the play by post method allows them to still participate without having to conform to a live social group. A proper explanation of this method and application: TextRPG.com.

Post Date: 16th Jun, 2015 - 12:17pm / Post ID: #

Someone commented...

Games Role-Playing and Autism

Pierre: There's something to that. It encourages participation if it's "Just a game," The kids are willing to try different things, take risks. There are no (Real) stakes involved, the pressure's off.

Post Date: 16th Jun, 2015 - 2:59pm / Post ID: #

Autism & Role-Playing Games

Name: Bryan

Title: Drama won't help

Comments: Roles in plays will not help at all. I am on the autism spectrum. Roleplaying games have entirely different effects than acting in a play. I've done both. Acting in a play is fun, but it's just going through the motions--just faking things. Big deal. I learn nothing except how to fool people intentionally. Roleplaying, on the other hand, requires real decisions.

Source: Personal experience

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 17th Jun, 2015 - 12:20am / Post ID: #

Someone commented...

Autism & Role-Playing Games - Page 2

Peter: Thanks for writing it. My oldest is on the spectrum and has a really hard time verbalizing and communicating though he is hyperlexi and showing a photographic memory of something interests him. I haven't been able to perk his interest in the game yet.

19th Jun, 2015 - 11:10pm / Post ID: #

Autism & Role-Playing Games Psychology Special & Health - Page 2

I have never looked at role-playing games as being therapeutic for those with autism but it certainly makes a lot of sense after reading JB's explanation. Maybe there should be a greater push for autistic individuals to learn about it.

+  1 2 3 4 5 6  ...Latest (13) »

> TOPIC: Autism & Role-Playing Games

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,