Autism & Role-Playing Games - Page 13 of 13

I never thought text Role Playing Games can - Page 13 - Psychology, Special Needs, Health - Posted: 15th Nov, 2018 - 7:13pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 13 pgs.  9 10 11 12 13 
Best of  Autism & Role-playing Games RPGs for those on the Autism Spectrum. If you are autistic does being in a role-playing setting help with social skills? Does participating in online play by post methods allow a release?
Post Date: 23rd Jan, 2018 - 8:55am / Post ID: #

Autism & Role-Playing Games - Page 13

Name: TomsMom

Title: Role Playing and autism

Comments: I've been researching the topic of using role playing games to help teach communication and collaboration skills in junior high age students on the spectrum. My son, who is on the spectrum, has written a game to do just that. In conjunction with his therapist, they have beta tested the game now in groups of junior high students.
The students are asking for more nights/week and the parents are reporting huge changes for their child's self esteem and ability to cope and make friends at their respective schools.
These kids are going the extra mile to make sure to be at their game night! One young man who had his driver's permit but had been terribly frightened to drive even got behind the wheel when his mom who had had knee surgery earlier that day reported to her son that she could not drive him to the group. He wanted to be there so badly, that he actually did the driving. His mother was thrilled!
Another student had had an outpatient surgery one day and had no voice, yet he begged his mom to go to class that night and be with his role-playing friends.
We're hoping to get his launched in the next year!

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 24th Jul, 2018 - 6:27pm / Post ID: #

Someone commented...

Games Role-Playing and Autism

Name: Danny

If it was not for role-playing games I would never have socialized. I would have stayed awkward.

Post Date: 25th Jul, 2018 - 12:46am / Post ID: #

Someone commented...

Autism & Role-Playing Games Health & Special Psychology

Name: Charles

A friend of mine has children with Asperger's. He is using Dungeons & Dragons to introduce ambiguous ethical/moral questions (You see a basilisk chained up in a dungeon occupied by goblins. Do you free it, knowing it will immediately try to kill you, or do you leave it, a prisoner of the goblins?). Not everything is simple black and white, it's a very good way to allow her to explore the grey areas of life in a safe setting.

25th Jul, 2018 - 2:09am / Post ID: #

Page 13 Games Role-Playing and Autism

Its really great that Role-playing Games can positively affect some people that may have different challenges than others.

Post Date: 25th Jul, 2018 - 4:32pm / Post ID: #

Someone commented...

Games Role-Playing and Autism

Name: Scott

I actually have a theory I ran past a few of my psych profs involving using tabletop Role-playing Games as therapy for autistics to teach them how to be social. All were intrigued. I hope to get a doctorate someday, and I intend to do a study on this concept as my thesis.

Post Date: 6th Aug, 2018 - 11:49pm / Post ID: #

Someone commented...

Autism & Role-Playing Games

Name: Finnuval

Comments: Thank you! Thank you for writing that article!

I recently had a conversation with someone on this forum trying to explain why going on discord (And voice-chat) was such a problem for me as opposed to pm-ing here. I think I kinda explained it a bit in a way they understood the basic concept but I wish I had read your article sooner, I would've simply referred them to it smile.gif

The one thing I have always find hard to deal with is that most people have one vision of autism… rain man *stare*
Meaning that when you do function (Seemingly 'normal') people lose their understanding somehow. Luckily times are changing and more and more people are becoming more aware (Thanks to people like you I might add).

So, thank you. Thank you for writing that… and thank you for being a parent that sees what's 'wrong' *barf* and adjusting to it in the best interest of their child.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
15th Nov, 2018 - 7:13pm / Post ID: #

Autism & Role-Playing Games - Page 13

I never thought text Role Playing Games can help so many people. I will try even harder to increase traffic to this website. It is nice to see this kind of community.

+  « First of 13 pgs.  9 10 11 12 13 

> TOPIC: Autism & Role-Playing Games

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,