Dependable Game Master / Dungeon Master

Dependable Game Master / Dungeon Master - Board, Card, RPG Reviews - Posted: 21st Jul, 2015 - 12:30am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

28th March 2024's Text Adventure:
Choose Your Medieval Fantasy Character:

Barbarian
Barbarian
Paladin
Paladin
Fighter
Fighter
Rogue
Rogue
Wizard
Wizard
Ranger
Ranger
Warlock
Warlock
Draconian
Draconian
Cleric
Cleric

+  1 2 3 
Discuss  Dependable Game Master / Dungeon Master Commitment, reliability, and enthusiasm.
18th Jul, 2015 - 1:00am / Post ID: #

I was looking over some of the threads earlier today and it got me to thinking about the really dependable Game Master's / Dungeon Masters I've known both online and off. No one thanks them for what they do and yet if they miss an occasion everyone is like what the heck is going on!? There is always an issue with having dependable players, I don't think that will ever change but finding a dependable GM / Dungeon Master is a whole other thing! Any thoughts?

Dependable Game Master / Dungeon Master (Hover)

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 18th Jul, 2015 - 1:12am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Master Dungeon Master Game Dependable

Yes I understand that having dependable Gm/Dungeon Master is a must especially on line. I know I slacked off back a few years ago and in that time talked with other game masters to get a much better understanding of the 3.5 rules. I am old school Dungeons & Dragons and that is why I also added a old school style game. Over the amount of time I have been here and even gone and now back I can see that many come and go. The faces always seem to change for a lot of us but we are slowly developing a core of some players.

Playbypost you have been here for a long time you can see this like I do I believe.

18th Jul, 2015 - 1:46am / Post ID: #

Dependable Game Master / Dungeon Master Reviews RPG & Card Board

Of course I can relate that's why I started the thread. From what I've seen for the few years of my membership there are those that come hard core and stay and then there are those that from the beginning cause some sort of trouble or start going into all kinds of tangents rather than just doing some good Role-Play Gaming. Those are the types that never last. You can also tell if someone will last because they really get into the site and not just one thing. Even so some of the core Game Master's have been you, Icon and of course JB. There are a couple of names I could mention that did stay for awhile but they were either deleted for rebelling against the force (Star Wars) laugh.gif or other life matters.

18th Jul, 2015 - 1:47pm / Post ID: #

The key is finding a Dungeon Master that loves his role and doesn't wish he was a player or on a cruise. Nothing wrong with those but if you're going to run a game you have to be there not only physically but in mind. You're right about Dungeon Masters not getting any credit for what they do and that's because everyone takes for granted that they will be there for their enjoyment each time. When you get a really good narrator then you have a prize. I've seen many games that left you scratching your head because the story doesn't make sense or lacks flowing from one scene to the next.

Post Date: 18th Jul, 2015 - 4:20pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

international QUOTE (Hunter @ 18-Jul 15, 1:47 PM)
The key is finding a Dungeon Master that loves his role

I'd like to start with a thanks here to Kntoran for his devoted GMing - I've only been playing for a couple of weeks but I've read back through years of thread. It takes a big commitment to keep this going. Well done - and respect to Icon and JB too, though I'm not in their games.

Life can always get in the way, at least temporarily, but for dependable GMing I think Hunter's point must be right - they need to love the experience. But how can they know if they will until they try? I'm sure the experience of Play By Post is very different from tabletop GMing and some may not enjoy it as they expected. And if they find they're not enjoying the experience, what can they do?

I have a suggestion: when a (Non-established) GM posts a new Thread in the [+] Board, Card, & RPG Reviews detailing a proposed Role-playing Game, the GM and the players should agree to (Approximately) a 6 month commitment. If at the end the GM finds that (S)he enjoys the experience, then (S)he's welcome to continue. If however, the experience isn't what (S)he hoped, then (S)he can round up the game without disappointing the players or rebelling against the force.

I also think that Game Master's of on-going games should be allowed to announce a break from play - obvious whenever needed for life events, but programmed in advance to re-charge batteries. I imagine that GMing without a pause could lead to burnout, for some at least. This possibility may well exist already - its a very well thought-out site - but I haven't seen it yet.

18th Jul, 2015 - 6:52pm / Post ID: #

Not all games may run for six months, some might even be shorter like two months. That is where the Dungeon Master needs to distinguish between runing a Play By Post one shot, a scenario or a campaign. Therefore, a valid point by the previous poster - state what you will do and what you will not do.

Reconcile Edited: Txtrpg on 18th Jul, 2015 - 6:56pm

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
18th Jul, 2015 - 10:09pm / Post ID: #

Funny, because my main exposure to Role-playing Games is from this site and I've never had to worry about the GM being dependable or not. wink.gif

21st Jul, 2015 - 12:30am / Post ID: #

Dependable Game Master / Dungeon Master Board Card & RPG Reviews

international QUOTE (Hunter)
The key is finding a Dungeon Master that loves his role...

Yeah, some approach it like its a burden. That's why I started this topic in the first place because of how easily I've seen some Game Master's give up or don't want to be told anything. (That might be a good topic by itself).

international QUOTE (Adelardus)
Well done - and respect to Icon and JB too, though I'm not in their games.

Adelardus, well you can fix that for yourself, just join in theirs.

international QUOTE (Txtrpg)
That is where the Dungeon Master needs to distinguish between...

Yeah stating exactly what you're going to do and how often can help players decide if they want to join up or not.

Fair, laugh.gif true that, I wonder why you never had that problem.

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Dependable Game Master / Dungeon Master

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,