Star Wars' Images Question

Star Wars' Images Question - Board, Card, RPG Reviews - Posted: 30th Sep, 2015 - 4:57pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

29th March 2024's Text Adventure:
Choose Your Medieval Fantasy Character:

Fighter
Fighter
Rogue
Rogue
Ranger
Ranger
Draconian
Draconian
Cleric
Cleric
Paladin
Paladin
Barbarian
Barbarian
Warlock
Warlock
Wizard
Wizard

+  1 2 3 
24th Sep, 2015 - 7:06pm / Post ID: #

Star Wars' images question - Soon I will be starting a Star Wars Play By Post Role-playing Game specific Board with the usual custom character sheet and so on but before I do that does anyone know of any written rules about the use of their images in a community environment? For instance Pathfinder and Dungeons & Dragons both allow certain images to be used and even provide fan kits. Now please understand, I need the actual policy governing this not just opinion. Thanks.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 24th Sep, 2015 - 8:02pm / Post ID: #

Someone commented...

Question Images Wars Star

Name: Michael

Comments: None that I am aware of. Star Wars images have been used off & on for so long that they are nearly a house hold name etc. If you are trying to SELL something using the images however, that might be a bit different. Maybe check with the Lucas films or Lucas Arts?

24th Sep, 2015 - 8:13pm / Post ID: #

Star Wars' Images Question Reviews RPG & Card Board

Even though it may be used by everyone it does not make it legal. I know from experience that a silly person can make it bad for you if you do not have authorization. Their site does not make contact easy but I did find an Email in their legal jargon that I used. Will wait to see if I get a reply.

UPDATE: For those wondering the same thing, Disney has a special page for licensing info: Source 2y and the person that currently handles Star Wars related items for Lucasfilm Ltd: Source 6v

Post Date: 25th Sep, 2015 - 5:08pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

JB if you would like I can begin reading those licensing sites for the information needed to post images to the site.

I love how you mention me without mentioning me. Lots of mystery.

25th Sep, 2015 - 5:16pm / Post ID: #

From what I understand the person here: Source 6v handles permissions. I did read on some of those other links that they give permission on a site by site basis. I sent an Email yesterday but no response yet. Perhaps you can give him a call if you can and nudge him to reply back.

Rather off topic, but...
Not sure I understand your mystery comment.

Post Date: 29th Sep, 2015 - 5:25pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

I have heard nothing back from Fantasy Flight Games. Disney/Lucas Arts Ltd. Has not responded back either.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
29th Sep, 2015 - 10:58pm / Post ID: #

Thank you for trying, which method of contact did you attempt? Email, phone, message board?

30th Sep, 2015 - 4:57pm / Post ID: #

Star Wars' Images Question Board Card & RPG Reviews

I got a reply and it is not a favorable one:

international QUOTE
Re: STAR WARS™ saga edition roleplaying game and any other proprietary elements from the Star Wars motion pictures in connection with your website

Dear Jean,

Thank you for your email dated September 24, 2015 requesting authorization to use STAR WARS™ saga edition roleplaying game and any other proprietary elements from the Star Wars motion pictures in connection with your website. Although we appreciate your interest, we cannot grant you the permission you seek. We receive many requests seeking permission to use material from the Star Wars motion pictures, and we are unfortunately unable to grant permission for uses that are not associated more closely with our films.

Lucasfilm Ltd. Is the sole and exclusive owner of the Star Wars motion pictures and any other Star Wars properties. These properties and unique elements that appear therein are protected by the copyright and trademark laws of the United States and other nations. Please note that any unauthorized use of these names, characters, music and images would, at a minimum, be inappropriate.

Sincerely,

CH
Business Affairs
Lucasfilm Ltd.

This was in answer to this Email:

international QUOTE
At one time Wizards of the Coast produced the Star Wars role-playing game under license which has since expired.

We run a free upstanding online community that wants to run a version of that called, 'play by post'. We do not charge anything. See to the bottom here: Source 6y

My question is what are the policies about the use of the Star Wars images for a fan site? Do you have a specific fan kit?

For instance Dungeons & Dragons and Pathfinder allow image usage on community sites and even supply a fan kit as they know it in turn benefits them.

I ask because I see many fan sites using the Star Wars images but did not want to venture into something that might be an issue later. Hoping to hear back from you soon.

So there you have it. We cannot have a Star Wars based Play By Post Role-playing Game . Those using images and content from Star Wars should take note - you don't have permission.

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Star Wars' Images Question

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,