Players Waiting On Players Syndrome

Players Waiting Players Syndrome - Board, Card, RPG Reviews - Posted: 7th Jan, 2016 - 12:34am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

28th March 2024's Text Adventure:
Choose Your Medieval Fantasy Character:

Rogue
Rogue
Cleric
Cleric
Ranger
Ranger
Fighter
Fighter
Wizard
Wizard
Barbarian
Barbarian
Paladin
Paladin
Warlock
Warlock
Draconian
Draconian

+  1 2 3 
Top  Players Waiting On Players Syndrome
30th Nov, 2015 - 12:13am / Post ID: #

Do you ever get the feeling while playing in one of the Role-playing Games that players are waiting on players to "Say something" or make a move before they post? I've noticed that I will see a game get a little sleepy and then when I post suddenly there are like 2-3 successive posts right after as though they were waiting all this time on my to post first before they said something. What causes that?

Players Waiting On Players Syndrome (Hover)

Sponsored Links:
30th Nov, 2015 - 1:23am / Post ID: #

Syndrome Players Waiting Players

I know for me there have been times where I would post something and then be hesitant to post again until the other players have had a chance to respond to the situation or to my characters actions or statements. Sometimes a player has made a post and pretty much contributed what their character is going to do in the situation or scene and they are waiting on the game master to update the scene or for another player to post something that they can respond to. It slows down sometimes I think because a player can feel a little stuck until the situation updates either through the game master's post or another characters action. I think a bit of uncertainty regarding when it would be appropriate to simply skip over a player who has not contributed to the situation also plays into these periods of lulls followed by a flurry of activity.

30th Nov, 2015 - 1:35am / Post ID: #

Players Waiting On Players Syndrome Reviews RPG & Card Board

Good topic Txt. The cause most likely is the anticipation of what others are going to do like Aericsteele said.

What I've found works is to role-play in the mean time being more detailed or interactive with whomever is in the thread until the others arrive. It actually contributes to the others arriving quicker too because they probably get curious about all the notifications of replies. laugh.gif I know that has happened to me and then I'm like what's going on in the game and then I visit and end up responding.

Side note, don't let the role-play go on once everyone has put in time, once the GM shows up its time to move on. Some of you know how I feel about melodrama killing a good thing.

8th Dec, 2015 - 4:11pm / Post ID: #

In my experience as a player, I often feel that I'm posting much more often than other players. So, if I feel that I'm reaching a 2 posts per everybody else's one post rate, I tend to back off a bit and wait for everybody else to say something.

There are also times when a person makes a post either asking a question of another player or indicating he/she is waiting for another player to post an action before continuing that I feel sometimes gets lost and leaves a game hanging for a bit.

The only problem with that situation is that I'm not sure how to address it. If I'm the Dungeon Master, I'll give a player a day or two to respond, otherwise I'll move the game forward and see if they make up the actions in their next post.

8th Dec, 2015 - 5:31pm / Post ID: #

I think the main problem is a total dependence on the game updates in order to role-play. Players can role-play whenever. If they're camping they don't have to wait to be attacked. They can mention some camp talk, make plans for the next day, things like that until the game is updated.

international QUOTE (Falrun)
There are also times when a person makes a post either asking a question of another player...

Best way I see to get rid of that is to have them chat about it outside of the game thread.

Post Date: 9th Dec, 2015 - 7:22pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

I think something that might make things smoother is an email notification not whenever someone posts but when it is your turn to post. So as soon as every active player has made a post newer than your last post, you should get an email that says "You're up!"

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
9th Dec, 2015 - 7:54pm / Post ID: #

Players Waiting Players Syndrome

How would that work if your suppose to be reading everyone's post unless you in a solo game and don't care what the others are doing. Also, if there is role play going on then players will be doing multiple posts so its not like everyone accounted for who remains let's email him.

7th Jan, 2016 - 12:34am / Post ID: #

Players Waiting Players Syndrome Board Card & RPG Reviews

This Topic is very similar to Over Reliance On The Game Master To Have Fun. I have noticed what Txtrpg pointed out and it may come down to some Players taking on a leadership role while other Players tend to be followers waiting to see what kind of plan or direction the 'leader' gives. That can leave a Player feeling burdened because its like one brain and many bodies and that one Player has to do all the thinking.

It could also be that other Players are not sure of themselves and do not want to set a mode or trend for others to follow that might lead to the party's Characters being put in an unfortunate position. Regardless of the reason, Players can take the opportunity to role-play without making any decisive action until they feel comfortable - you do not have to wait for more experienced Players to Post before you do.

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Players Waiting On Players Syndrome

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,