Just Who Did Jesus Die For?

Just Jesus Die For - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 22nd Sep, 2004 - 10:08am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Post Date: 30th Mar, 2004 - 8:08pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

This has been touched on a couple of time in various classes at church with about half of the group feeling one way and half feel the other. I am referring to the role of the atonement Jesus Christ. Was it for the inhabitants of this Earth only, or for worlds without number? If you research the topic, you will find statements from GA's on both sides.

Brigham Young said that each world has its own savior and tempter. So, not only is the role of Christ done again and again all over the universe but so is the role of the Devil.

Other church leaders have claimed Christ's atonement is infinite which means it applies to other worlds as well. I have problems with this position because worlds have been created for eons of time and people have lived out their mortality, died, been resurrected and attained their final glory. They could not have done this on a world that existed 100 trillion years before Christ came here to atone for them, unless they had to wait 100 trillion years for this to happen.

Others feel Christ's atonement is for other worlds, but only those created by our Heavenly Father that are going through their probation at the same time.

Does anybody have any thoughts on this? I tend to lean toward Brigham's statement above.

Sponsored Links:
30th Mar, 2004 - 8:20pm / Post ID: #

For Die Jesus Who Just

Brigham Young said that each world has its own savior and tempter. So, not only is the role of Christ done again and again all over the universe but so is the role of the Devil.

Hmmmm I'm not very sure about the correct interpretation of Pres. Young's words. As far as I see it Jesus Christ's atonement is infinite and applies to all universe. Yes, each world may have a 'Savior' and a tempter but I personally think Jesus Christ used only this Earth to accomplish this. In other words, I don't think there is a Christ in each word that lived like him, and was crucified by him, etc but I think people from other worlds know about the existance of him through other ways, don't ask me how because I don't know. But further discussion may prove I may be wrong, I'm just sharing my feelings rather than any knowledge I obtained from other sources.

Post Date: 30th Mar, 2004 - 8:43pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Just Who Did Jesus Die For? Studies Doctrine Mormon

Here's the link to the talk Brigham Young gave.

https://journals.mormonfundamentalism.org/V...4/JD14-070.html

If Christ atoned for the sins of the entire universe, how did our Heavenly Father progress to Godhood prior to Christ's atonement? Since we learned that God was once a man as we are, he must have had a saviour that died for him.

30th Mar, 2004 - 8:58pm / Post ID: #

For Die Jesus Who Just

Interesting point Gaucho. I think as humans we cannot fully understand the possibility of other Savior because of the meaning of the Atonement itself, but you are right, if God was a man before he must have lived and accept another Savior and it means also there were others tempters, Adams and Eves, etc. Yes, it is an interesting theory. Now, I'm wondering....what about now? Does it God continues creating new worlds with new Saviors and Tempters? or do they have to believe in Jesus the Christ?.

30th Mar, 2004 - 10:04pm / Post ID: #

For Die Jesus Who Just

Very interesting topic. I have always been instructed that Jesus was the Savior of all worlds and that only we on this earth were wicked enough to crucify him, which is why he came here in mortality. Now, is it possible that their are more worlds created by our Heavenly parents than this one and Jesus would be the older brother for all of our Heavenly parents's children and could therefore be their savior, but also our Heavenly parents had Heavenly Parents who created their own worlds which would have their own redeemer and tempter?

Hmmmmm, what do you think. If this were the case then Brigham's statement would be correct and so would statements by others who say the opposite.

Post Date: 31st Mar, 2004 - 3:32am / Post ID: #

A Friend

QUOTE (gaucho @ 30-Mar 04, 8:43 PM)
If Christ atoned for the sins of the entire universe, how did our Heavenly Father progress to Godhood prior to Christ's atonement? Since we learned that God was once a man as we are, he must have had a saviour that died for him.

John 5: 19

Did Christ have a savior? Are you sure that Heavenly Father must have had a saviour?

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 31st Mar, 2004 - 5:50am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Just Who Jesus Die For

Yes, I know some people have taken that scripture to mean that God the Father was the saviour of his world. So if true, then God did not have to have a saviour since he himself was a saviour. I don't necessarily believe that is what the scripture is saying though.

Post Date: 22nd Sep, 2004 - 10:08am / Post ID: #

Just Who Jesus Die For Mormon Doctrine Studies

"Jesus Christ paid the price and will satisfy the demands of justice for
all who are obedient to His teachings. Thus, full forgiveness is granted,
and the distressing effects of sin need no longer persist in one's life.
Indeed, they cannot persist if one truly understands the meaning of
Christ's Atonement."

(Richard G. Scott, "The Path to Peace and Joy," Ensign, Nov. 2000, 26)

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Just Who Did Jesus Die For?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,