Media Brainwashing

Media Brainwashing - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 1st Oct, 2009 - 12:22am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Political Controversy WARNING you may find the contents of this Thread offensive, view at your own discretion.
Post Date: 27th Sep, 2009 - 3:43am / Post ID: #

Media Brainwashing

Media Brainwashing

Is it true that people are most likely to believe anything that comes from mainstream media even if it is a lie? Are you guilty of that? If you say "No", how do you know you have not been infected already?

Political Controversy

Sponsored Links:
27th Sep, 2009 - 4:04am / Post ID: #

Brainwashing Media

I would say that brainwashing takes a concerted effort of one party to control the thoughts and actions of another party. So in my mind brainwashing is a bit strong of a condemnation of the mainstream media. I can easily say that our mainstream media has gone much more towards commentation from reporting. I can also say that certain media outlets tend to sway their commentation primarily to one side or the other. So if you were to only use one source of media as your information source, you likely have a slanted view as a result. Now the reason I say that this is not brainwashing, is that in brainwashing...you usually have very little options of getting the other side of the story or the group doing the brainwashing tries to hide conflicting information or information sources from the objects to be brainwashed. In our culture today, you have an abundance of different media outlets from which to sample. There is little reason you should not have access to the other side of the story unless you don't want to read or download it. I prefer to look at this as ignorance. Unfortunately, we do have a lot of ignorant people out there, but ignorance is fortunately curable.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 863 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 86.3%

30th Sep, 2009 - 10:29am / Post ID: #

Media Brainwashing History & Civil Business Politics

I might be wrong, but people can convince themselves that anything said on television is solid. They don't verify, research or look for other sources. They just take it that CNN, Fox, ABC or whatever name will never lead them astray.

International Level: New Activist / Political Participation: 21 ActivistPoliticianNew Activist 2.1%

Post Date: 30th Sep, 2009 - 2:11pm / Post ID: #

Media Brainwashing
A Friend

Brainwashing Media

I believe that every news source puts its own spin on the story. I would not call this lying to the masses but how many a-of them are going to go look for the real story? I believe that the masses do tend to be brainwashed some by the mass medias.

30th Sep, 2009 - 2:43pm / Post ID: #

Brainwashing Media

There is an agenda at every News company. So whatever is shared and the way it is done it is fulfill that agenda. People believe anything that the Media says.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 1089 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Post Date: 30th Sep, 2009 - 3:29pm / Post ID: #

Media Brainwashing
A Friend

Media Brainwashing

It is this reason that I watch two to three different news sources as well as look at two to three different internet news sources. I tend to not be one of the sheeple.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
30th Sep, 2009 - 9:08pm / Post ID: #

Media Brainwashing

For me the source of your information is the important thing. I wouldn't buy the National Enquirer to get news on the stockmarket or anything serious for that matter. Also if I want news out of a country I usually go to that country's local paper rather than trying to use a general one like CNN or one of those.

International Level: New Activist / Political Participation: 11 ActivistPoliticianNew Activist 1.1%

1st Oct, 2009 - 12:22am / Post ID: #

Media Brainwashing Politics Business Civil & History

This pretty much depends on what definition of the word we are looking at... If we are looking at the most commonly used form, then what happens on TV falls short because there is no force in the message. Brainwashing of this type is/was found in Guyana with Jim Jones, The Heaven's Gate Cult, all of N.Korea, etc... If we use a looser form of the definition as persuasion, then yes...the TV networks are guilty of trying to persuade us.

international QUOTE
Webster Definition of Brainwashing
1 : a forcible indoctrination to induce someone to give up basic political, social, or religious beliefs and attitudes and to accept contrasting regimented ideas
2 : persuasion by propaganda or salesmanship

I tend to use the word brainwashed as it relates to forcing someone to subscribe to ideas, that they normally would not have. I tend to view those that take as gospel what Peter Jennings or Katie Curic say as ignorant and not brainwashed, because their brains can be washed so many different ways and times by those they allow themselves to be guided by. The good thing is that ignorance is curable. Escaping Guyana or N.Korea is not nearly as easy.

One other thing. The networks are funded by advertisers. The advertisers are funded by the people. Even the news networks are basically providing entertainment. If they dont, you dont watch. Then the advertising revenues fall and eventually, whatever show you decided to stop watching gets replaced. So in a sense, we would be saying that we are brainwashing ourselves.

Reconcile Edited: Vincenzo on 1st Oct, 2009 - 12:25am

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 863 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 86.3%

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Media Brainwashing

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,