Paladin
Cleric
Cleric

RPG System Reviewed
Post Date: 14th Nov, 2015 - 9:59pm / Post ID: #

Champions RPG

RPG Name: Champions

Description: Champions RPG Hero Games

What are your reviews for this role-playing game? Would Champions play by post work well? Did you ever try a home brew version of this RPG, if so what did you do to improve upon it.

Played As: Champions PBP RPG? or See more RPG systems

Sponsored Links:
8th Aug, 2018 - 7:36pm / Post ID: #

RPG Champions

Ah, Champions. I spent MANY hours playing this gem. I'm not sure what iteration they're up to now, but my last experience was with third edition.

Champions, also known as the Hero system, is a point based generation system with an effect based array of powers. One does not purchase a fire blast. One purchases and energy blast and describes it as fire. The system is a bit math heavy for my taste, and back in third edition very vulnerable to min-maxing. Someone with number crunching skills could easily destroy someone with a more concept based approach to character design. Most of the actual crunching takes place during character creation, though, so once the character was ready to go, game play was fairly smooth. Having large numbers of six sided dice is handy, as players will frequently be rolling 8-12 dice for effects at playable power levels. The system is flexible enough to allow for any character concept I could dream up, and I don't remember seeing anyone on the comics I couldn't reliably reproduce.

For that reason, I think Champions could work as a play by post on a platform that rolled dice for you. Character creation would be time consuming, but then, when isn't it? But the lack of on-the -fly calculation makes the game quite workable.

> TOPIC: Champions RPG

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,