The Need For Swearing?

The Swearing - Sciences, Education, Art, Writing, UFO - Posted: 16th Dec, 2004 - 7:19pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (6) »

?
Poll: How often do you swear using really bad words?
  Every hour on the hour       9.52%
  At least once a day       14.29%
  Once a week       9.52%
  In a blue moon       23.81%
  Never!       42.86%
Total Votes: 21
Guests Cannot Vote - Join To Add Your Vote! 
Or is it that your vocab is on the low?
Post Date: 14th Oct, 2004 - 11:45pm / Post ID: #

The Need For Swearing?

Many swearing individuals claim that the best way to express themselves or to get employees to do something is to swear and then they add, 'That is what they understand best', but is that really true or is it that the one who swears does not have a good enough command over their language to think of colorful words that can replace the swearing? What is your view?

Sponsored Links:
15th Oct, 2004 - 12:30am / Post ID: #

Swearing Need The

Since English is not my native language, I do not know how to swear, of course I know a couple of them because I heard it and I asked in the past what it meant, but I never swear.

15th Oct, 2004 - 3:05am / Post ID: #

The Need For Swearing? UFO & Writing Art Education Sciences

Swearing as a form of expression does indicate that an individual may not have command over their language to use alternative words. Swearing can sometimes be used when in the company of good friends in a lighthearted or comical way. I try my best not to swear but sometimes when I become upset it can slip out, and that is something I would need to work on.

15th Oct, 2004 - 12:05pm / Post ID: #

Swearing Need The

I realize it is popular to say that someone who swears does so because they don't have a big enough vocabulary to choose other words. This is nonsense in my opinion. As a matter of fact, I believe I have a very good grasp on the English language, yet I used to swear quite frequently. I no longer do, but on occasion, I lose control and slip. So, for me swearing is a matter of control not vocabulary. For others it is neither.

To some it is just an acceptable way to speak. When I was not active within my religious organization, the people with whom I associated found swearing to be an acceptable form of communication. It wasn't done only in anger, which is what seems to me to be suggested in the situation as referred to by Neo.

LDS, do you swear in Spanish?

Reconcile Edited: tenaheff on 15th Oct, 2004 - 12:06pm

15th Oct, 2004 - 3:25pm / Post ID: #

Swearing Need The

In some parts of the African American community, many words that I consider to be profanity are considered normal communication tools. Cultural context also has a lot to do with the acceptability of certain words.

I agree with tenaheff, that it is more a matter of control and personality than vocabulary. After all, John Kerry and Dick Cheney both have had stories recently of using very profane language, yet both are extremely well educated, articulate men. One of them used that language almost casually, and the other was heavily provoked when he used it.

Post Date: 1st Dec, 2004 - 3:49am / Post ID: #

The Need For Swearing?
A Friend

The Need For Swearing?

I admit it I do swear at least once a day but I am trying no too especially cause it tends to offend people.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
1st Dec, 2004 - 4:39am / Post ID: #

The Need Swearing

I said once in a blue moon. It would have been nice to answer never, which is very close to the truth, but blue moons do happen. I'm the same as LDS. English is my second language, and in Hebrew, swearing is not common. Swearing reffers mostly to people over there not like hear where every second word could be a swearwords.

Post Date: 16th Dec, 2004 - 7:19pm / Post ID: #

The Need For Swearing?
A Friend

The Need Swearing Sciences Education Art Writing & UFO

I think there are two main reasons people start swearing:
a.) its normal (swearing is around them all the time)
b.) they want to be cool (the "in crowd" swears all the time)
From there, it becomes a habit. Nowadays, almost everyone is exposed to swearing in their homes through television.

It may be off-topic, but what happened to the days when TV had good shows with actual content and girls that wear clothes?

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (6) »

> TOPIC: The Need For Swearing?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,