Avoiding Traps In RPGs

Avoiding Traps Rpgs - Board, Card, RPG Reviews - Posted: 20th Dec, 2016 - 4:54pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

16th April 2024's Text Adventure:
Choose Your Medieval Fantasy Character:

Ranger
Ranger
Wizard
Wizard
Warlock
Warlock
Barbarian
Barbarian
Fighter
Fighter
Draconian
Draconian
Cleric
Cleric
Rogue
Rogue
Paladin
Paladin

2nd Dec, 2016 - 2:46pm / Post ID: #

Avoiding Traps In RPGs

You enter a room that you feel has traps (Magical or mechanical), how do you go about avoiding them or is it inevitable that you will be trapped no matter what you do? Do you have a standard procedure to follow if your thief fails?

Sponsored Links:
6th Dec, 2016 - 6:40am / Post ID: #

RPGs Traps Avoiding

Every effort should be used to find the trap or an alternative method to get around it. If you think a room is trapped but its not a necessary room then is it really worth the death of your character?

Post Date: 7th Dec, 2016 - 5:07pm / Post ID: #

Avoiding Traps In RPGs
A Friend

Avoiding Traps In RPGs Reviews RPG & Card Board

My standard procedure, if a trap can't be bypassed at this time, is to find a way to trigger the trap without suffering the effects.

Exactly how one does this is however going to vary based on group. I like to start by throwing a rock with a Light cantrip on it into the area, while that's unlikely to trigger most traps, it at least helps people see and might elicit some response. Beyond that, most parties have access to a cheap summon spell. A summoned pony for instance is great for running across/through what you suspect is a trapped area.

Failing that and a few other such fallbacks, it pays to come with mundane anti trap items. If such can be arranged (IE if we have pack animals to lug the bloody thing around), I favor a 50 pound smooth stone disc with long poles made to push it along ahead of the party. Slow going, but you can trigger both pressure plates and tripwires with such. Even most magical traps that only trigger for creatures can be fooled. Spend some time catching local rats, and toss one in.

Reconcile Edited: daishain on 7th Dec, 2016 - 5:09pm

11th Dec, 2016 - 5:05am / Post ID: #

RPGs Traps Avoiding

There is always another way you just have to be patient and think of it. Unless it is time sensitive the important thing to take all possible angles before stating any actions or leaving it up to 50/50 dice rolls.

20th Dec, 2016 - 4:54pm / Post ID: #

RPGs Traps Avoiding

Having a thief around is definitely useful but if there isn't one I think the best thing to do is try and trip traps off if you think they're there.

> TOPIC: Avoiding Traps In RPGs

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,