Parents Can't Ground Their Children

Parents Can' T Ground Children - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 19th Jun, 2008 - 5:10pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
Canada, Canadian I Am Not Grounded... You Cant Tell Me What To Do.
19th Jun, 2008 - 6:55am / Post ID: #

Justice Suzanne Tessier thinks that the punishment was a bit harsh...OVER RULED!

Court overturns father's grounding of 12-year-old

A Canadian court has lifted a 12-year-old girl's grounding, overturning her father's punishment for disobeying his orders to stay off the internet, his lawyer said.

The girl had taken her father to Quebec Superior Court after he refused to allow her to go on a school trip for chatting on websites he tried to block, and then posting "inappropriate" pictures of herself online using a friend's computer.

The father's lawyer Kim Beaudoin said the disciplinary measures were for the girl's "own protection" and is appealing the ruling.

"She's a child," Beaudoin said.

"At her age, children test their limits and it's up to their parents to set boundaries.

"I started an appeal of the decision today to reestablish parental authority, and to ensure that this case doesn't set a precedent," she said. Otherwise, said Beaudoin, "parents are going to be walking on egg shells from now on".

"I think most children respect their parents and would never go so far as to take them to court, but it's clear that some would and we have to ask ourselves how far this will go."

According to court documents, the girl's internet transgression was just the latest in a string of broken house rules. Even so, Justice Suzanne Tessier found her punishment too severe.

Beaudoin noted the girl used a court-appointed lawyer in her parents' 10-year custody dispute to launch her landmark case against her dad.

https://www.smh.com.au/news/unusual-tales/c...3770765707.html

The next time Justice Tessier oversees or reads a case where the child is murdered from meeting a on-line friend, I do hope she remembers this ruling. In the mean time, I think she should have to move in with the family and prescribe the appropriate punishments for inappropriate conduct or at least create punishment guidelines to follow. The father was trying to keep her from posting inappropriate pictures of herself on the net and to stay out of certain chatrooms. How on earth is that excess?

Reconcile Message Edited...
JB: Changed the title to make it search-able.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 863 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 86.3%

Sponsored Links:
19th Jun, 2008 - 7:34am / Post ID: #

Children Ground Cant Parents

I would be interested in reading the Judge's ruling. What did she base her decision on? It seem the court is usurping parental authority and that just doesn't seem right. The ironic thing is had the father allowed her to post inappropriate pictures on the internet he would probably been charged with exploitation of a minor. This judge has overstepped her bounds in my opinion.

International Level: Activist / Political Participation: 32 ActivistPoliticianActivist 3.2%

Post Date: 19th Jun, 2008 - 2:21pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Parents Can't Ground Their Children History & Civil Business Politics

The fact that this even went to court is beyond me. Why would anyone even here such a thing and take it to court. I feel the lawyers who let something as minor as this even be heard in court is what is making it soo hard to parent today. What is next a father getting sued for grounding his son or daughter because they stole? This whole case is setting a big example to all kids that if they do not like their punishments take your parents to court.

The courts need to stay out of the homes and worry about actually criminals and other law breakers.

19th Jun, 2008 - 3:09pm / Post ID: #

She just needs some other more harsh but acceptable punishments like all her fancy dress locked up and clean but well worn cloths left for her to wear to school for a week.

The real issue here is not the internet at all it si a moral issue of obeying your law. I give a 90% chance we see this name in the news again but it will be her getting a sentence for some dumb crime like stealing or drunk driving.

She should have her but smacked and mouth washed with soap. Another typical spoiled brat.

I hope the court is smart enough to mandate some counseling for this young lady before it is too late.

International Level: Senior Politician / Political Participation: 188 ActivistPoliticianSenior Politician 18.8%

Post Date: 19th Jun, 2008 - 3:15pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

That is just it. Now if the father tries to enact any type of punishment to get her to behave she is just going to go to the courts again to get it thrown out. THe courts will not take action for her to get counseling but would probably send the dad so he knows what he can and can not do in forms of punishment. In the courts eyes she is not wrong he is.

19th Jun, 2008 - 3:44pm / Post ID: #

Yes unfortunately that is true because that court system has the same moral issue the girl does. What a messed up system we have created.

International Level: Senior Politician / Political Participation: 188 ActivistPoliticianSenior Politician 18.8%

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
19th Jun, 2008 - 4:47pm / Post ID: #

Parents Can't Ground Children

Canada is getting more liberal than California or am I just ignorant about what has been going on all along? I agree the child sounds like a rebel but who put her up to going to court?

International Level: New Activist / Political Participation: 23 ActivistPoliticianNew Activist 2.3%

Post Date: 19th Jun, 2008 - 5:10pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Parents Can't Ground Children Politics Business Civil & History

I would say a greedy lawyer helped her get to court. I bet dad had to pay for his and her lawyer.

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Parents Can't Ground Their Children

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,