Did Not Serve A Mission? - Page 2 of 3

Name: Mary Country: Comments: Great discussion! - Page 2 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 20th Sep, 2010 - 4:14pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
President Monson and others
24th Jun, 2008 - 3:26am / Post ID: #

Did Not Serve A Mission? - Page 2

We are in an era of unprecedented Missionary Work where a significant portion of the Church goes out into the world. There has never been a dispensation on record where the expectation to take the message to all the world by the bulk of the membership has been so stressed. In the recent past one did not volunteer to serve a mission. Being a missionary was a calling. I am confident that all of these men if called at the time by their local leaders, they would have done so.

The Lord has now called all worthy men to serve missions, and requested this through his Prophets. I do not question the reason why some men in the past did not serve and I will not question the time when the missionaries are called back from the nations and missionary work will slow as prophesied. To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.

Sponsored Links:
24th Jun, 2008 - 11:46am / Post ID: #

Mission Serve Did

QUOTE (dbackers @ 23-Jun 08, 11:26 PM)
I do not question the reason why some men in the past did not serve

Since when wondering about why these leaders did not serve a regular mission is "questioning"? Or is it that you feel uncomfortable about wondering why they did not? If you do, then I would love to know the reason for it. Your answer sounds almost like we are not supposed to wonder or "question" (according to you) certain facts/decisions of our General Authorities.

25th Jun, 2008 - 7:13am / Post ID: #

Did Not Serve A Mission? Studies Doctrine Mormon

I admit that I have always been uncomfortable judging things that have happened in the past based on my present day sensibilities. I often look at the old testament and am perplexed by commandments that required the killing of the adulterer. I see Christ's commandment not to teach the gospel to certain nations in the New Testament, and wonder at his exclusion of entire groups of people.

I know that not serving a mission is quite dissimilar to these examples , but the fact remains that times and seasons are different. To me it is justifiable to ask the Question why they did not serve a mission, but in my own mind there must be some caution in using our present day views as a yard stick for another Generation expectations.

I would not want Members in the Millennial Generation asking why we did not spend every waking moment doing Temple work and Missionary work as they do. It would be nearly impossible for us to live up to that standard.

Questioning is not a bad thing, and I do it quite often, but I disagree with the premise that not serving a mission in the past disqualifies someone from telling others to serve a mission now. I want a Bishop who may not have served a mission to emphasis to my five boys the importance of missionary work. I would want a Young Men's Leader who had a wild past to tell my young boy's that Premarital Sex is wrong and that it only brings misery. I will counsel my son's in things that I may have not been perfect in, but it does not follow that this makes me any less of an authority on the principles of the Gospel as it relates to the individuals in my stewardship.

As to the Apostles not serving missions right after the War, their callings may have been to start a Family and begin their service in other ways. I do not know. But I suspect that their service rendered thus far is sufficient, and will count unto them as righteousness.

Rather off topic, but...

This is kind of a personal topic for me. Both of my grandpa's served in the military (WW2) due to the draft and were not able to serve missions when they got home. The expectation at the time was for them to start a family and begin their service at home in the wards after the war. They eventually served Missions with their spouses in Africa (My father's side) and the Philippines (Mom's side). This is why the question is a mute one for me, as their counsel to serve a mission was as potent for me as men who did not serve missions, as if they had served missions in their youth.

25th Jun, 2008 - 7:20am / Post ID: #

Page 2 Mission Serve Did

I agree with you that why they did not serve is a moot point. It just does not apply to today. However, I see nothing wrong with wondering what their thoughts and feelings are on the subject and how they would respond to someone questioning why they should serve a mission. That said, while it is perfectly fine for us to wonder these things it really does not make much difference in the scheme of things. My husband did not serve a mission, he was not raised in the Church. But you would be hard pressed to find a better servant of the Lord. He is a good man. And he has a strong desire to someday serve a couple mission with me.

25th Jun, 2008 - 11:53am / Post ID: #

Mission Serve Did

dbackers:

I admit that I have always been uncomfortable judging things that have happened in the past based on my present day sensibilities.

Wondering is not judging and the judging issue (as discussed in another thread) has to do with judging righteously or unrighteously. We ALL judge all the time in one way or another.

To me it is justifiable to ask the Question why they did not serve a mission, but in my own mind there must be some caution in using our present day views as a yard stick for another Generation expectations.

Caution? Do you mind to expand on this point? Thanks.

Questioning is not a bad thing, and I do it quite often, but I disagree with the premise that not serving a mission in the past disqualifies someone from telling others to serve a mission now.

I agree but there was not such statement in this thread so I am not sure what you are really disagreeing with? This is what I said:

LDS_forever:

I was trying to make is the fact that these men did not serve a mission yet are the ones encouraging others to do so. Nothing wrong with that, since I believe we take counsel regardless of the person's experiences.

29th Jun, 2008 - 5:12pm / Post ID: #

Did Not Serve A Mission?

Hi LDS

I do not mind the question, but I am expressing my own apprehension (not anyone else's) at questioning anyone's motives for serving or not serving a mission.

I am personally cautious of critiquing previous generations because I do not know there motivation or circumstances.

It was a good and valid question and I am curious as well to their feeling of not serving a mission, I had just perceived in your question (I believe I misperceived, is that a word) that there was a condemnation of the leaders in not serving a mission. Accept my apology for the misperception.

I just believe we all have some regrets for services not rendered in our past. I believe the most healthy and best way to overcome feelings of regret is to start in the present, and serve to the fullest from that point. It is like the parable of the laborer and the penny found in Matthew 20. Those that had started early in the first hour were paid the wage of a penny and those that came later 11th hour were also paid a penny.

10 But when the first came, they supposed that they should have received more; and they likewise received every man a penny.
  11 And when they had received it, they murmured against the goodman of the house,
  12 Saying, These last have wrought but one hour, and thou hast made them equal unto us, which have borne the burden and heat of the day.
  13 But he answered one of them, and said, Friend, I do thee no wrong: didst not thou agree with me for a penny?
  14 Take that thine is, and go thy way: I will give unto this last, even as unto thee.

It seems unfair, but that is the way the Lord's Kingdom works. Regardless of when we start to serve in our life, the Lord will bless us equally if we come in the present and put our whole heart into the work.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
29th Jun, 2008 - 5:30pm / Post ID: #

Did Serve Mission - Page 2

dbackers:

, I had just perceived in your question (I believe I misperceived, is that a word) that there was a condemnation of the leaders in not serving a mission. Accept my apology for the misperception.

No need to apologize. Condemnation? Not at all. I haven't served one either neither I think those who served are better than others or condemn the ones who did not. I notice members confuse being straightforward with being judgmental (in the wrong way) wink.gif. My first statement of "What happened with "Every young man should serve a mission?" was meant to open debate and I still wonder how these leaders feel about missing up serving a regular mission. I would love to hear what they have to say on the matter.

Post Date: 20th Sep, 2010 - 4:14pm / Post ID: #

Did Serve Mission Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 2

Name: Mary

Comments: Great discussion! I was preparing a seminary lesson on President Monson. And was just digging a little deeper to see if maybe they had suspended some missionary work due to the war. I had no idea that none of the 1st presidency had served missions. Thanks all.

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Did Not Serve A Mission?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,