Trinidad Corporal Punishment In Schools - Page 2 of 5

The thing about is that sometimes the children - Page 2 - Trinidad, Tobago / Caribbean - Posted: 1st Oct, 2010 - 6:31pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 
Reintroduction Of Corporal Punishment - Students being punished with beatings by teachers
4th Sep, 2008 - 3:03pm / Post ID: #

Trinidad Corporal Punishment In Schools - Page 2

I went to talk with the principal and this is what happened:

I reached there and met with the principal. I told her who I am and why I was there. Politely I asked her if she knew of the incident with this kid being slapped and she said she wasn't but that the child is a story in itself. I shared my concerns including the teacher not having the patience to deal with Felipe when he doesn't understand and telling him to stop saying he does not understand.

She then started saying that she is not aware of the incident but that the kid in question is a very challenging. disable child who she and the other teachers deal with him "as they see it fit". I asked what exactly that means and she said, it means exactly that, that they deal with the child in any way they think works for him. So I asked her if she was ok with using corporal punishment in a long life disable child and she repeated and said they use any method they see it fit with full support of his mother.

I said to her that for me that's not acceptable and I am not there to say whether is right or wrong and that I am fully aware of how Felipe is and his many challenges but if she can promise they won't beat him. She gave a sarcastic smile and said I cannot tell her how she should handle her work as a principal, that she deals with the child in question as she see it fit (kept repeating that) as well as any other student. She said her and me obviously don't agree in how a kid should be handled and that obviously I came to the school with a preconceived notion of what happened when I wasn't there. She said the kid is a long disabled child who does things I won't believe so they handle him as they see him fit. That I am assuming they use corporal punishment and "I don't have proof", I said I don't need proof because I am not there to attack them but to communicate my concern about my child.

She continued babbling and said I assumed everything so I confronted her and directly asked if she believes using corporal punishment in a disable child is called for? She rolled her eyes and said she does not have to answer that. But "I will only say I deal with ALL the children the way we see it fit. You may not agree with it but thats how we handle it. Obviously your way of thinking and mine are very different on this issue."

In the whole meeting she was very sarcastic and self righteous and tried to ridicule me. She completely disregarded any concerns of mine and defended her "caring" teachers.

She then called other teachers who starting defending themselves and saying I should not tell the Principal how they should handle Felipe because that's her job.

What the heck?

So she was very serious and matter of fact. She gave me back the check, ripped the registration papers and was sarcastic all throughout the meeting. I felt not listened or cared. As soon as I left the office, they started laughing and one of them (I don't know who) said "this happens when people think they know everything and they want to tell US how to run things".

My heart was broken and left quietly.

Sponsored Links:
5th Sep, 2008 - 8:59am / Post ID: #

Schools Punishment Corporal Trinidad

I would not want my child in such a school. I am sorry the so-called professional educators behaved in such an unprofessional manner. So is that the attitude of all the educators in Trinidad? If so, I can see how you could lose hope. Do they have any charter schools?

6th Sep, 2008 - 2:49pm / Post ID: #

Trinidad Corporal Punishment In Schools Caribbean / Tobago & Trinidad

QUOTE (alskann @ 5-Sep 08, 4:59 AM)
Do they have any charter schools?

I am not sure what a charter school is, if you mean private schools the two schools he went that used corporal punishment were private. The government schools are not even an option. The buildings are falling apart, the classrooms are crowded and the teachers not able to manage the class in those conditions. And yes, they are known to use corporal punishment for things like failing a test, not doing homework, oh and talking.

Sometimes I have to pause and wonder if I am in the Caribbean or in a middle east country. rolleyes.gif

1st Sep, 2010 - 12:29am / Post ID: #

Page 2 Schools Punishment Corporal Trinidad

I just read this great article in the Express, of course purposely made to sound like the typical Trinidadian when they speak about "licks":

international QUOTE
Look how I turned out with licks:

What happen to these people? They have nothing better to do with their time but argue against progress? "Stop beating children." Look at you and me; we get licks and look at how good we come out. These lobbyists must never have gotten licks; that's why they could talk such foolishness.

Doh mine that the school children that we refer to as "slow" and "unfocused" and "dunce" really have different learning styles, and that the children are expected to write and pass exams in a language, that for the most part, we don't even speak. What school and which teacher have time to rearrange classroom and curriculum to accommodate the pupils who need visuals and hands-on activities to really understand what is being taught? Doh mine them, you know, because we teachers get paid whether or not those children learn. I remember my own teachers telling me that when I was in school, and look how good I come out.

Let me tell you something; beating children is the best thing ever invented. I heard some people say that it's ordained by God. If my toddler or pre-schooler touching something that they are not supposed to, I will rest it on them. I don't care that what they are doing is developmentally correct, and I certainly don't have any time to go and childproof the entire house. Licks is an effective quick fix. You don't have to do too much talking, no philosophising, no real attempt to reach the heart of the child; just give them some strokes and they get in line one time. Those lobbyists could call me weak and lazy if they want, but if beating a child is the only way to get my child or a pupil to listen to me, then so be it.

Doh mine that sometimes you might wonder if "the rod of correction" is really a physical rod because then that would mean that "the long arm of the law" is really someone's arm. Doh mine that King Solomon, who spoke extensively about this rod, was a celebrated poet, so much so that he had a poetic name-King Lemuel -and that his writings are a mass of metaphors and Hebrew acrostic poetry. I don't have time to think about all of that; King Solomon clearly said, "Do not withhold discipline from a child; if you punish him with the rod, he will not die. Punish him with the rod and save his soul from death."...

1st Sep, 2010 - 12:37am / Post ID: #

Schools Punishment Corporal Trinidad

Trinis always like to get a quick fix and an easy way out to a complicated deep rooted problem. Children rebel and not perform because they have serious challenges whether stemming from learning disabilities or abuse at home. To correct that it will mean a massive undertaking in social transformation, counseling and so forth which in turn will cost a lot of money - so what is the answer they come up with to save time and money - give them a whipping. You see everyone knows it is not just a few cases but a national epidemic! This truly is a Banana Republic and we are still hanging from trees eating fruit while swinging and the rest of the civilized world goes on by.

Post Date: 1st Oct, 2010 - 5:50pm / Post ID: #

Trinidad Corporal Punishment In Schools
A Friend

My son received his first 'licks' at school yesterday and this morning was so afraid to go to school that he started experiencing stomach aches and throwing up, I am very upset,I don't ever hit my son I find other forms of punishment for him on the rare occasions that he requires it, so why did this woman who is supposed to be contributing to my sons successful foray into the education felt the need to hit him with a ruler both on his back and the palm of his hand because he didn't write in the correct spelling of a word he had misspelled and she didn't tell him what he had to do. I wrote this in an earlier thread-we tell our children that hitting and violence is not the way to solve conflicts, yet we do it, and make no mistake hitting a child whether it is with your hand or an object is a form of violence, I am really upset.

Edited Message Edited...
Persephone: Please make sure a space is after each period or comma so your text is not all jumbled together. See Constructive Posting Policy.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
1st Oct, 2010 - 6:21pm / Post ID: #

Trinidad Corporal Punishment Schools - Page 2

Maybe if these teachers started getting hit with a ruler when they did something wrong they might understand but then again they will run to the police and cry "assault" but hen you do it to a child it is "ok".

Post Date: 1st Oct, 2010 - 6:31pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Trinidad Corporal Punishment Schools Trinidad & Tobago / Caribbean - Page 2

The thing about is that sometimes the children don't do anything that warrants the teacher hitting them,teacher gets in a bad mood at home or at some point during the day and who else to take out on but a defenseless child,they sure as hell can't do it to an adult because they'll get exactly what they're looking for.

Edited Message Edited...
Persephone: It is not necessary to quote the entire post of the user above you. See Constructive Posting Policy.

+  1 2 3 4 5 

> TOPIC: Trinidad Corporal Punishment In Schools

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,