Autistic Boy, Mom Kicked Off American Eagle Plane

- Culture, Family, Travel, Consumer Reviews - Posted: 27th Jun, 2008 - 12:36pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

26th Jun, 2008 - 3:12am / Post ID: #

I understand what the mother is trying to say, it is hard to judge because I wasn't there BUT as a mom of a kid with PDD-NOS, I don't think is fair that the people who were on the plane has to put up with the meltdown of a special needs child. I don't know her situation, I just hope the crew was right on their decision.

A 2 1/2-year-old autistic North Carolina boy and his mother were kicked off an American Eagle flight taxiing to a Raleigh-Durham Airport Monday after the crew deemed the child "uncontrollable," WTVD reported.

"If they just would have been a little more understanding I think that none of this would have been a problem," the boy's mother, Janice Farrell, told the station, adding that the flight attendant made things worse.

"She kept coming over and tugging his seatbelt to make it tighter, 'This has to stay tight.' And then he was wiggling around and trying to get out of his seatbelt. And she kept coming over and reprimanding him and yelling at him."

Farrell said she was doing everything to keep her son calm, but after one of the pilots came back to the cabin and gave her and her son, Jarrett, a stern warning, the situation got worst.

"The pilot made an announcement that there was a woman and her child on the plane and the child is uncontrollable," as he was turning the plane around, Farrell said.

A representative for American Airlines, the parent company of American Eagle, apologized to Farrell when she called, but a spokesman for the company told WTVD a different story....

Sponsored Links:
26th Jun, 2008 - 6:53am / Post ID: #

Plane Eagle American Kicked Mom Boy Autistic

It really sounds like an unfortunate situation. Sounds like both sides could have handled things better. I do not believe the other passengers should have to put up with an out of control toddler in such tight quarters, but I also think the flight crew could have handle things differently and perhaps avoid the situation from escalating like it did. My heart goes out to that child and his mother, but it does sound like maybe the airlines followed protocol.

Post Date: 26th Jun, 2008 - 6:17pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Autistic Boy, Mom Kicked Off American Eagle Plane Reviews Consumer & Travel Family Culture

Sounds like the airlines followed their protocols to me. The only thing is that not all situations rightly covered by their protocols. There should be in place some directives to allow the flight attendants some personal judgement. They should have handled a situation like this better. Reconizing the mother was trying to get the child under control and giving her a little more time to accomplish this would have been better for all.

27th Jun, 2008 - 8:22am / Post ID: #

It is hard when special situations arise and protocol has to be followed. I am sure it was stressful for all involved as well which probably heightened the anxiety of dealing with it on both sides. Perhaps a different flight attendant would have done something a little different to ease frustrations, maybe not. I hope they (mom and child) are doing well now and have had time to settle down over this. It is an unfortunate thing to happen.

Post Date: 27th Jun, 2008 - 12:36pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

The last comment at the end of the article about the mother not wanting to put her bag up top is just confusing.

Otherwise, yes, it does sound like the staff was following protocols appropriately, with the exception of attempting to discipline the child aboard the plane. If you don't know how to discipline an autistic child, the situation becomes even worse. It was not the individual's place to try and handle the situation in that manner.

> TOPIC: Autistic Boy, Mom Kicked Off American Eagle Plane

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,