Writing Tips For Play By Post Role-playing Game Masters

- Board, Card, RPG Reviews - Posted: 13th Sep, 2017 - 8:31pm

Register Login Text RPG Play Text RPG ?     New: 2 20 60 Why Join Help
Top  Writing Tips For Play By Post Role-playing Game Masters Improve descriptive writing to help Players visualize what you want them to see.
Post Date: 14th May, 2016 - 1:45pm / Post ID: #

Admin + Architect
[?] CPosts: 36,968
Avg: 8.0 Post(s) / Day
Activity: 100%
[+] Gain: 1,549.02 FP
Charm: 338

Writing Tips For Play By Post Role-playing Game Masters

Writing Tips For Play by Post Role-Playing Game Masters

We have many Threads surrounding how to be a better Game Master / Dungeon Master / Referee here but none that specifically focuses on the writing / descriptions given by the GM / Dungeon Master for their games. Today, I've introduced the upcoming International Discussions Thesaurus as a helpful writing tool to improve storytelling in our Role-playing Games. This Thread is also open for your questions, comments and tips surrounding effective writing for Role-playing Games in a Play By Post format.

Attached Image

Post Date: 14th May, 2016 - 8:13pm / Post ID: #

Member Veteran
[?] CPosts: 297
Avg: 0.1 Post(s) / Day
Activity: 3.0%
[+] Gain: 175.64 FP
Charm: 3

Masters Game Role-playing Post Play Tips Writing

I like when things are descriptive enough that you don't have to ask questions like "What are the surrounds like?", "Who is in the room?", "What time of day is it?". If I have to ask that to me its a wasted post that could have been my character's action. At the same time I don't like descriptions to be so long that your imagination is lost in too many details that aren't important.

Post Date: 22nd May, 2016 - 11:22am / Post ID: #

Premium Author
Lifestyle
[?] CPosts: 952
Avg: 0.7 Post(s) / Day
Activity: 18.1%
[+] Gain: 55.76 FP
Charm: 50

Writing Tips For Play By Post Role-playing Game Masters Reviews RPG & Card Board

I like the image above and what both posters said. Good descriptions save a lot of time in Play By Post so you don't have to turn around and ask the obvious questions that you should already have answers to.

I also used the thesaurus, not for an Role-playing Game, but it was really cool. Its a good writing tool I'll recommend to anyone.

Post Date: 1st Jun, 2016 - 5:34pm / Post ID: #

Member Senior
[?] CPosts: 158
Avg: 0.7 Post(s) / Day
Activity: 19.3%
[+] Gain: 14.42 FP
Charm: 18

I like good descriptions but I never want it to be so descriptive that I feel like I'm reading the Dragon Lance series in order to visualize one event.

Post Date: 13th Sep, 2017 - 8:31pm / Post ID: #

Admin + Architect
[?] CPosts: 36,968
Avg: 8.0 Post(s) / Day
Activity: 100%
[+] Gain: 1,549.02 FP
Charm: 338

While uploading an image makes easier work why take all the fun of describing what the Characters see? Let's take the image in this first Post as an example I, as the Dungeon Master, could write something like this rather than show the Players that image:

"Out of the earth ahead of you appears a hairless dirty olive humanoid creature with pointy ears, a wide pug nose and menacing eyes. You can only see its shoulders and head popping out from the ground but you can tell that it has a muscular frame and is up to no good."

Guest please SHARE: "Writing Tips For Play By Post Role-playing Game Masters" on:

Sponsored Links:

If Writing Tips For Play By Post Role-playing Game Masters is not what you are looking for then you may wish to Start A NEW Topic.
Options Fast Reply Add Reply Add Poll

No Registration Required!

We welcome input from visitors:
Add Comment As A Guest
Guest, please be considerate by using the appropriate tags as well as checking your grammar before submitting or it will be deleted. See: Constructive Posting Policy.

Tip TIP: Press above button ONCE only. If you come back here via the [Back] button on your browser then you will need to click [More Options] button (below) first in order to re-enable your ability to Post.

> TOPIC: Writing Tips For Play By Post Role-playing Game Masters

Share:

Like:

Donate Compare Membership
International Discussions Coded by: BGID® ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2018
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Privacy and Disclaimer pages.

RPG Info

Latest Game Topics

Highlights

Dependable RPG Players: When you go to war do you want a fellow soldier or flaker on your side? By anronrosby 1 Week Ago
Text RPG Character Creator: This custom program is the foundation of how all the RPGs function here. By JB 30th Sep, 2018 - 12:31pm
Players Waiting On Players Syndrome: As a Player you can take the initiative in a game, do not be shy. By Reader 22nd Sep, 2018 - 10:06pm
RPG Etiquette: Do you think there should be a standard, is there a standard? By Reader 22nd Sep, 2018 - 9:45pm
Looking For Committed Game Masters For JB's Boards: If you are a committed Game Master then you might like to share your skills! By JB 4th Jun, 2018 - 12:25am
Over Reliance On The Game Master To Have Fun: The Game Master only creates the setting, you decide how to have fun in it! By KNtoran 7th May, 2018 - 8:04pm
What Kind Of RPG Experience Are You Looking For?: When you come here to role-play what are you expecting from the game? By KNtoran 10th Sep, 2017 - 3:16am
Can One Player And A Game Master Carry A Game?: What are your thoughts about this Topic? By OrkSlobber 10th Sep, 2017 - 12:28am
Debate: Play By Post vs Table Top Rpgs: What are your thoughts about this Topic? By KNtoran 9th Sep, 2017 - 11:05pm
Text RPG Creator Character Switching: What are your thoughts about this Topic? By JB 14th Apr, 2016 - 11:47am

Updated every: 59 minutes