Dealing With Asperger Syndrome - Page 3 of 5

My 15 year old son was diagnosed with Asperger's. - Page 3 - Psychology, Special Needs, Health - Posted: 5th Nov, 2009 - 6:05am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 
Post Date: 17th Oct, 2008 - 2:37pm / Post ID: #

Dealing With Asperger Syndrome
A Friend

Dealing With Asperger Syndrome - Page 3

QUOTE (JB @ 17-Oct 08, 6:56 AM)
I like to read positive stories like this because it gives hope....

....These are the basic services I would like to see our own son have, but that are unavailable here at a professional and most of all CARING level. Additionally, we do not want to medicate him, so he is home schooled. 

The only reason this story is such a success is that my mother struggled and did everything she had to to help my brother, even if my brother had to use medication. If he were not medicated, he would be in a much worse state and not able to function. Medication now is far more researched and developed than it was in previous years, and there are smaller dosages suitable for children. The medication my brother is on is tested to ensure that it is not toxic to children. I think it would be a good idea to go see your family doctor or psychologist to find their opinion on what is best for your child's situation. I urge you to find out as much as you can, so that you can make an informed decision with the best interests of your son in mind.

The support workers and the special school my brother attended are by no means "basic" services. These are specialty services that the people in my city, province, and country fought to have in place in our society. They are not readily available everywhere. My mother had to relocate herself, find new employment, and buy a new house to enable my brother to have access to the resources he needs. It is an advantage to have these professionals in his life, but it took alot of work and money to get to them.

Reconcile Message Edited...
LDS_forever: There is no need to quote the entire message as stated in our constructive policy. Thanks .

Reconcile Edited: LDS_forever on 17th Oct, 2008 - 3:12pm

Sponsored Links:
17th Oct, 2008 - 4:44pm / Post ID: #

Syndrome Asperger Dealing

QUOTE (Daria)
I think it would be a good idea to go see your family doctor or psychologist to find their opinion on what is best for your child's situation.

That would have been a good idea had we not already done so in two different countries and four professionals.

I urge you to find out as much as you can, so that you can make an informed decision with the best interests of your son in mind.

What makes you feel we have not made an informed decision?

The support workers and the special school my brother attended are by no means "basic" services.

Everything requires sacrifice, at least you are in a country that makes them accessible. Since the birth of my special needs son we have moved over 20 times and lived in three countries.

My mention in reference to you brother was not to talk down his being medicated or whatever sacrifices you have done as a family, neither was it for you to presume to know what we have or have not done. A proper reading of this Board will show that we have done many things. A reading of our Blog would show that we live a life that borders on insanity in order to make life as 'normal' as possible for all..

4th Nov, 2009 - 6:23pm / Post ID: #

Dealing With Asperger Syndrome Health & Special Psychology

Although not a medical site here is one definition of Asperger syndrome:

international QUOTE (Wikipedia)
Asperger syndrome is an autism spectrum disorder, and people with it therefore show significant difficulties in social interaction, along with restricted and repetitive patterns of behavior and interests. It differs from other autism spectrum disorders by its relative preservation of linguistic and cognitive development. Although not required for diagnosis, physical clumsiness and atypical use of language are frequently reported.

4th Nov, 2009 - 9:05pm / Post ID: #

Page 3 Syndrome Asperger Dealing

I wonder what "atypical use of language" refers to, an example.

The thing is, I'd bet hundreds of thousands or millions of people globally, might or at least feel like they might, qualify for this diagnosis - I know I do, but so does every other nerd with social awkwardness, dedication to a small number of interests, etc. It's like it's a joke diagnosis - the kind you can give to anyone with a broad range and possible demographic, if you need one, but nothing that will ever really be commonly recognized by most doctors or counselors, because they consider the features too mild in most cases.

Like me for example, I'm taking meds and going to a clinician, a therapist and a psychiatrist once a month, but none of them have mentioned or seemed at all interested when I mentioned Asperger's (not saying I have it, just that they apparently don't feel there's any remote possibility, which I disagree with), but for that matter I had to insist on my main problem of anxiety around people being a social phobia - it's not that I don't trust our mental health professionals, but I wonder how "up" on things they are, sometimes.

4th Nov, 2009 - 9:14pm / Post ID: #

Syndrome Asperger Dealing

I understand your frustration. Our son was diagnosed with Autism: PDDNOS only after first being diagnosed with ADHD at first, we feel he has both but his highly verbal and social. There are those who based on just a glance will think that he is Asperger's but he does not 'fit' that 'build'. Truth is getting a proper diagnosis is a difficult undertaking. Have you tried other professionals?

4th Nov, 2009 - 11:02pm / Post ID: #

Dealing With Asperger Syndrome

Probably like a lot of people in my case, I'm limited to the free Indian (Native American) Health Services or a state mental clinic, both of which I'm able to get free due to tribal membership and low income (yay), and I've been to both. It's just something one lives with anymore, I'm used to it I guess, been going since about '06, I was more just musing about the quality of diagnosis overall, though psychology and such isn't an exact science.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
5th Nov, 2009 - 2:23am / Post ID: #

Dealing Asperger Syndrome - Page 3

international QUOTE (jpatt @ 4-Nov 09, 5:05 PM)
I wonder what "atypical use of language" refers to, an example.

Words that you do not normally use, like dictionary kind of words.

international QUOTE
It's like it's a joke diagnosis - the kind you can give to anyone with a broad range and possible demographic, if you need one, but nothing that will ever really be commonly recognized by most doctors or counselors, because they consider the features too mild in most cases.

Personally I believe based on my interactions with others is that a lot of people have the condition undiagnosed because as you said, the symptoms are so mild almost undetectable. It is only when it prevents you from living a normal life when people start getting worried. Hence, all this talk about Autism being epidemic now I disagree. It just happens we have now a proper medical term for what before people would describe as a "little odd".

international QUOTE
but none of them have mentioned or seemed at all interested when I mentioned Asperger's (not saying I have it, just that they apparently don't feel there's any remote possibility, which I disagree with), but for that matter I had to insist on my main problem of anxiety around people being a social phobia - it's not that I don't trust our mental health professionals, but I wonder how "up" on things they are, sometimes.

I know what you are saying. When our son was first diagnosed with ADHD I told my husband that he has something more than just being hyper. Upon a lot of research, he fit the PDD-NOS description to the T so I went with that in mind BEFORE he was even diagnosed and after several tests they confirmed it but it took a lot of feedback from my part to get him diagnosed on that aspect otherwise they would have just said he was ADHD only.

If you think you may fit the criteria for Aspergers, you should contact the Autism Society in your area and see what list of professionals they may have in your area that can test you specifically on this and that is covered on your insurance.

5th Nov, 2009 - 6:05am / Post ID: #

Dealing Asperger Syndrome Psychology Special & Health - Page 3

My 15 year old son was diagnosed with Asperger's. His language is using more complex words several years ahead of his peers. The last test for IQ was 160, his problem solving is at a post graduate level. He doesn't do well in team sports so we enrolled him in Karate 9 years ago. He's at the last degree of Brown. His peers don't mess with him today, but did several years ago. He's fortunate to be attending a public Charter school, K thru 9th grade. It requires uniforms and is much stricter in rules of behavior. He doesn't have many friends but is happy anyway. In social situations we have taught him what is acceptable behavior. When he was about 4 years old we had talked to him about not talking to strangers, so he'd go up to a stranger in a store, introduce himself and ask what their name was and figure they weren't a stranger if he knew their name. laugh.gif When he was 8 yrs old and a cub scout at the day camp, he was always answering questions and I felt a little embarrassed sitting next to him. The Cub Master's final question was "What makes a whip crack?" Up went his hand, and he surprised me as he went into explaining that the end of the whip breaks the sound barrier. He continues to amaze me.

+  1 2 3 4 5 

> TOPIC: Dealing With Asperger Syndrome

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,