Dealing With Asperger Syndrome - Page 4 of 5

Understanding Asperger Syndrome is not easy. - Page 4 - Psychology, Special Needs, Health - Posted: 5th Apr, 2010 - 4:05am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 
6th Nov, 2009 - 2:15am / Post ID: #

Dealing With Asperger Syndrome - Page 4

Is this related to the same people that are genius in one thing like knowing all the dates something happened but not able to do a simple task like answer the door or have odd social skills?

Sponsored Links:
6th Nov, 2009 - 5:03am / Post ID: #

Syndrome Asperger Dealing

I have a friend and colleague who has Aspergers' Syndrome. His mother and sons have it also. He is extremely intelligent in his field. He is very knowledgable in Horticulture and the environment. He has a great sense of humour. I guess the one thing that makes me remember of his condition is that everything is he's quite skittish. Starts millions of projects and hardly finishes any of them. Can be quite frustrating working with him. He also won't own anything. If there is a problem, it is never his fault. Great bloke though!

6th Nov, 2009 - 12:28pm / Post ID: #

Dealing With Asperger Syndrome Health & Special Psychology

international QUOTE (jchampers @ 6-Nov 09, 1:03 AM)
If there is a problem, it is never his fault.

Sounds like my 9 years old son. He would blame everybody and everything if something goes wrong or if it is his fault, including his pencils or eraser!

12th Dec, 2009 - 3:15am / Post ID: #

Page 4 Syndrome Asperger Dealing

I have Aspergers' Syndrome, and I can tell you it's not fun.
I have actually "choked on my foot" so to speak when it comes to conversations, speaking without thinking, and insulting people without meaning to. I am a heavy reader, and tend to hyper-focus on things. This is also altered a bit because I have ADHD to, Hyper Active being key words when I was younger, thankfully I have mellowed out (a lot). I am talkative, and have a naturally load voice. It is easier for me to read in a corner then to socialize with people, many time because I tend to make myself look like an idiot and blundered horrible.

12th Dec, 2009 - 3:20am / Post ID: #

Syndrome Asperger Dealing

Wow, you just described my 9 years old son. He is very talkative, with a loud voice, he is "rude" without meaning to and has ADHD. I'm very concerned about him. When did you start mellow out a little bit? It is hard to see what it will be like in 5 years from now but I can tell you that it is an extremely difficult challenge to deal with as parents and of course, he is frustrated because he can't change it. Do you live at home?

12th Dec, 2009 - 3:28am / Post ID: #

Dealing With Asperger Syndrome

I had friendly counselors that actually cared for one thing. But I think to a large extent one can grow out of it as they age, like I have had plenty of people who knew me well that say they could see a change in a single year. But aside from that I think the church has played a big part to. You see I am a convert, becoming apart of the church at age 10. Also I had, especially after ten, a stable home.
Not now, but I did not so long ago.

Reconcile Edited: Thomaslee on 12th Dec, 2009 - 3:34am

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
12th Dec, 2009 - 3:33am / Post ID: #

Dealing Asperger Syndrome - Page 4

That's great for you Thomas. I suppose I am just scared of the outcome. As he gets older I actually see more autistic traits on him than before, adding to that the ADHD part and is just the complete package! I really need to get a new diagnosis, he sounds to me like Aspergers rather than PDD-NOS. He is great with computers. He loves to socialize with people but his approach is "pushy/aggressive" and "odd" and other kids see it and either make fun of him or don't want to play with him, of course he seems completely unaware of it.

Rather off topic, but...
Did you serve a mission or plan to serve one? And I mean either a regular mission or a special needs one.

5th Apr, 2010 - 4:05am / Post ID: #

Dealing Asperger Syndrome Psychology Special & Health - Page 4

Understanding Asperger Syndrome is not easy. Here are some tips that I found that can help:

international QUOTE
"¢ Keep all your speech simple - to a level they understand.

"¢ Keep instructions simple ... For complicated jobs use lists or pictures.

"¢ Try to get confirmation that they understand what you are talking about/or asking - don't rely on a stock yes or no - that they like to answer with.

"¢ Explain why they should look at you when you speak to them.... Encourage them, give lots of praise for any achievement - especially when they use a social skill without prompting.

"¢ In some young children who appear not to listen - the act of 'singing' your words can have a beneficial effect.

"¢ Limit any choices to two or three items.

"¢ Limit their 'special interest' time to set amounts of time each day if you can.

"¢ Use turn taking activities as much as possible, not only in games but at home too.

"¢ Warn them of any changes, and give warning prompts if you want them to finish a task... 'when you have colored that in we are going shopping'.

"¢ Try to build in some flexibility in their routine, if they learn early that things do change and often without warning - it can help.

"¢ Don't always expect them to 'act their age' they are usually immature and you should make some allowances for this.

"¢ Try to identify stress triggers - avoid them if possible -be ready to distract with some alternative 'come and see this...' etc.

"¢ Find a way of coping with behavior problems - perhaps trying to ignore it if it's not too bad or hugging sometimes can help.

"¢ Promises and threats you make will have to be kept - so try not to make them too lightly.

"¢ Teach them some strategies for coping - telling people who are teasing perhaps to 'go away' or to breathe deeply and count to 20 if they feel the urge to cry in public.

"¢ Begin early to teach the difference between private and public places and actions, so that they can develop ways of coping with more complex social rules later in life.

"¢ Let them know that you love them - wart's an' all' - and that you are proud of them....

+  1 2 3 4 5 

> TOPIC: Dealing With Asperger Syndrome

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,