Dealing With Asperger Syndrome - Page 2 of 5

I know that dealing with a child with aspergers - Page 2 - Psychology, Special Needs, Health - Posted: 17th Oct, 2008 - 2:26pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 
Post Date: 16th Jul, 2008 - 12:44pm / Post ID: #

Dealing With Asperger Syndrome
A Friend

Dealing With Asperger Syndrome - Page 2

I agree with you on the training the brain part Daria. We are trying to help my son get more socialable skills so he can do better in the future when he gets out on his own. He has most everything he needs. I have had him doing a lot of work around the house. I go out with him and show him and talk to him about how to do things. I keep telling him soon he will have a home of his own to care for and this is stuff he needs to know how to do. He is very accepting of the lessons and asks questions in his own way. Which as you know are more like statements.

LDS_Forever. Your son sounds like my son. He was very much into computers and games. He liked/s the strategy games where he can play one on one with the computer. We know he is a very smart kid. It is a lot learning to handle a child with aspergers but I think we have done a very good job with him.

Sponsored Links:
1st Sep, 2008 - 5:28pm / Post ID: #

Syndrome Asperger Dealing

I"ve been diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome and what is frustrating is that when I read what the symptoms, I go yes, no, no, no, yes, and so on. In addition, it's frustrating that I know what is wrong with me, and I can't seem to solve it.

Post Date: 2nd Sep, 2008 - 12:15pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Dealing With Asperger Syndrome Health & Special Psychology

I've been recommended to read self-help books. Apparently they exist for people with Aspergers. However, some symptoms, like the ability to correctly read facial expressions/body language, to detect sarcasm, etc. can develop over time with practice.

Post Date: 16th Oct, 2008 - 11:57pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Page 2 Syndrome Asperger Dealing

My middle child has been diagnosed with OCD and Aspergers and ADHD. As he has gotten older, he has gotten worse. He is now on an anti-psychotic. He simply cannot function in school and has had to be pulled out the last two years to be home schooled. The teachers don't seem to under stand and the special education in this state is lame. He is very smart, so he gets no help. Because his problems are almost exclusively social and behavioral, he doesn't get any help.

Its driving me nutty. And his near manic out bursts at times are nearly to much to take. He get out of control, the noises he makes escalate, and the obsession with every tiny thing make me insane. But at least the Paxil controls the depression he gets because he can tell he is different from others. He is so smart, I just don't want him to miss his potential because of my or the schools failure to learn how to help him.

17th Oct, 2008 - 2:27am / Post ID: #

Syndrome Asperger Dealing

I am very much aware of what you are dealing with. Many do not understand what parents with special needs children go through and the many sacrifices that must be done daily in order to make life as 'normal' as possible for both them and yourself. Thanks for sharing.

Rather off topic, but...
Thanks for your Post in the Health Board too. Many of the men of the Forum have been taking up my suggestions for a different way of eating and I wanted them to see how much it has worked for you.

Post Date: 17th Oct, 2008 - 11:48am / Post ID: #

A Friend

QUOTE (konquererz @ 16-Oct 08, 6:57 PM)
He is very smart, so he gets no help. Because his problems are almost exclusively social and behavioral, he doesn't get any help.

Its driving me nutty. And his near manic out bursts at times are nearly to much to take. He get out of control, the noises he makes escalate, and the obsession with every tiny thing make me insane... He is so smart, I just don't want him to miss his potential because of my or the schools failure to learn how to help him.

Your son sounds exactly like my little brother who is 6 years old. He has ADHD and Autism, and probably some other things, but my mother is the only one who knows all the details.

My brother is also very smart, but was never able to apply his skills on his own in the classroom (pre-school, kindergarten), because of his behavioural issues. My brother would often repeat words or sounds on the top of his lungs and you could not snap him out of it. It was like a trance. He was also extremely possessive over toys and somtimes would push other kids for no reason. It was because of these behavioural issues that he was unable to settle down in class and focus to apply his skills for any activities the teachers would try to perform.

Eventually he was kicked out of regular school, but my mother was able to find a solution in our city. There was a special school set aside for special needs children to prepare them for kindergarten. Every day you could see an improvement in my brother's behavioural issues. With proper medication and proper guidance and teaching at the special school, my brother was able to focus and learn about colours, counting, the alphabet, etc. He was even able to control his outbursts with my mother and his teachers using special little activities.

For example, if my brother started doing his word repetition uncontrollably, my mother would just stare at him and start counting, "1, 2, 3". My brother would quickly snap out of it because he thought it was a game and started counting to 10 or 15 with my mom slowly. By the time they were done counting, he was calm.

It was through little tricks such as the counting trick, that we were able to help my brother get through his days. The teachers at the special school were all specially trained to deal with children just like him.

My brother was slowly integrated into regular kindergarten by attending kindergarten in the morning or afternoon, and his special classes for the other part of the day. Unfortunately the special school was unable to provide support for my brother in entering grade school. With some research, my mother was able to find special one-on-one special needs councillors who are educated and trained in handling children like my brother in a nearby town.

My mother moved to the town with my brother. Now, my brother attends primary school and is at the same level as his classmates. He sees his special needs councillor a few times a week now. The councillor comes to the house and plays with my brother for a few hours on the days that he sees her.

To give you an idea of the improvement to my brothers behaviour from before he was introduced to special needs workers, I will tell you about how he was when he was a year old to how he is now. At a year old he would eat nothing but dinner. He was "afraid" of different textures of food and would often panic and choke on food because of his anxiety. This caused him to only eat when he was starving, and he looked starving too. My parents (one parent would always had to be at home) would literally sit in the kitchen with him for 2 hours for breakfast, another two hours at lunch, and around 1-3 hours for dinner to try and make him eat. They forced him to stay at the table for as long as they could and continually reheat the food. For all those hours, my brother would scream and cry. Every. Single. Day. When we took him for walks, he would run around screaming and would sometimes run into the road and not know it. My mother had to buy a special leash for toddlers. There are many other misbehaviours my brother had, but I could take all day writing.

Now, he sits down and eats full meals and snacks. However, he has to take medication every day (I don't know the type). Activities and games for his age group are usually too easy for him. I will try to buy him games for his age group and he will finish them very quickly and they are too easy for him. I can actually hold full conversations with him and he is only 6.

I think the answer to your problem is something you've probably already guessed. Getting access to special needs workers for your child. I hope that you are able to find some help for your child, because life can be alot better with their help. They can be expensive, though, so that is another hurdle to cross when you do find the right workers.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
17th Oct, 2008 - 11:56am / Post ID: #

Dealing Asperger Syndrome - Page 2

I like to read positive stories like this because it gives hope. There are some advantages to your brother's story:

1. You have trained teachers willing to help him integrate at a young age
2. He was medicated which I guess most would require him to be in order to send him in a public setting
3. You have follow up counseling

These are the basic services I would like to see our own son have, but that are unavailable here at a professional and most of all CARING level. Additionally, we do not want to medicate him, so he is home schooled.

Rather off topic, but...
Please check your Intro for replies.

Post Date: 17th Oct, 2008 - 2:26pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Dealing Asperger Syndrome Psychology Special & Health - Page 2

I know that dealing with a child with aspergers is not easy. My eldest son who has it has never been medicated and the schools have never been told of his condition. He will be graduating at the end of this school year. HE wants to go to a four year college. We are looking into getting the funding to get him through that.

The hardest thing in parenting with him was trying to switch from him to his brother who has ADHD. Them being only one year apart and the difference in them being so night and day that at times it was like I was trying to turn off one way of parenting and turning on a whole other way. Going back and forth like that in one day can be very trying. I know there are times that I did not parent them correctly. I am very glad that the two of them are turning out to be great kids.

+  1 2 3 4 5 

> TOPIC: Dealing With Asperger Syndrome

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,