Actor In Several Lds Comedies Arrested

Actor Lds Comedies Arrested - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 2nd Apr, 2009 - 11:17pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

15th Jul, 2008 - 7:21am / Post ID: #

Sad, I just watched a Latter-Day Night Live with him on it the other night. I really like him. I hope that he can get some help and work through this. It really is sad--everyone makes some mistakes though and his is being broadcasted. I guess that is what happens when you are an actor---big or small.

He's had a leading role in several LDS comedies, but he spent this weekend in jail on theft charges.

Michael Birkeland was arrested on Friday after police say he stole a computer from Utah Valley University. The man, who is used to being in front of the camera, was actually caught because of a camera built in the computer.

The computer was stolen in April, and police have been trying to catch up with the suspect since then. They did on Friday and arrested him on charges of felony theft.

From "The Singles Ward," to "The Home Teachers" and "Church Ball", Michael Birkeland has become a familiar face to moviegoers in Utah in these LDS comedies.

But his face was also familiar to an art instructor at Utah Valley University. The instructor's computer disappeared after class on April 3, a class that Birkeland was visiting.

Two days later, the victim logged onto Skype and, thanks to the built in camera in his MacBook Pro computer, he could see exactly who was using his stolen computer over the Internet.

The instructor contacted Birkeland online and also by phone, asking for the computer back, which is valued at $2,128.

Court documents state that Birkeland then covered up the camera on the computer to conceal his identity.
Instead of directly returning the computer, police say he dropped it off at the gift shop at Thanksgiving Point.

Investigators have been looking for Birkeland ever since and found him on Friday. He was arrested and booked into jail on charges of felony theft and was there until he had a bail hearing this morning.

Birkeland's bail was set at $3,000, and he posted bond this afternoon. He will be back in court next Monday.

Sponsored Links:
15th Jul, 2008 - 11:44pm / Post ID: #

Arrested Comedies Lds Several Actor

I am not surprised really, basically because we need to remember that members of the Church SHOULD be peculiar but not necessarily are therefore like all of us, some fall short. Of course he must pay for what he did wrong but I hope he can get his issues resolved soon.

16th Jul, 2008 - 4:18am / Post ID: #

Actor In Several Lds Comedies Arrested Studies Doctrine Mormon

It is too bad this guy succumbed to temptation. It seems he did not think it through very well. This is the sort of thing you would see on a stupid criminal story - To steal the computer and then use it with the camera on. Like writing your robbery note on your deposit slip.

Post Date: 2nd Apr, 2009 - 10:21am / Post ID: #

Name: Michael

Comments: Just wanted to clarify that getting caught for stealing a computer is not what happens when you are an actor. It is what happens when you make a bad choice. I know too many LDS artists who give up because they think a career choice might make them oh...I don't know...steal a computer some day. Silly fear. Help us out. We need your faith and prayers, not broad judgements.

2nd Apr, 2009 - 4:11pm / Post ID: #

QUOTE (JoePublic @ 2-Apr 09, 2:21 AM)

Comments: Just wanted to clarify that getting caught for stealing a computer is not what happens when you are an actor. It is what happens when you make a bad choice.

Hi Michael-Thanks for your post. I too wanted to clarify that when I said,
I guess that is what happens when you are an actor---big or small.
I was speaking of consequences of mistakes, big or small, being broadcasted to the world in a manner of speaking. Their lives and choices they make, good or bad, are hardly private. I agree that it is not being an actor that made him do it.
It seems you speak from experience here as you include yourself in the comment,
Help us out. We need your faith and prayers, not broad judgements.

Please be assured I was not judging you, or Michael B.
I know too many LDS artists who give up because they think a career choice might make them oh...I don't know...steal a computer some day. Silly fear.
I am going to leave this one alone wink.gif If you do know LDS artists please give them my thanks for the good they do and the positive messages that they send out in a crazy world, as a mother of five I know we need all we can get.
AlaskanLDS

2nd Apr, 2009 - 11:17pm / Post ID: #

QUOTE (JoePublic @ 2-Apr 09, 6:21 AM)

Comments: Just wanted to clarify that getting caught for stealing a computer is not what happens when you are an actor. It is what happens when you make a bad choice.

That's correct. I don't think anyone in this thread made a relation between acting and stealing. I think we were discussing about the fact that because of this bad choice and the nature of his career, his name has been published, etc which affected him much more than the average "Joe".

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!

> TOPIC: Actor In Several Lds Comedies Arrested

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,