Can A Character Act Against A Party

Can Character Act Party - Board, Card, RPG Reviews - Posted: 30th Jun, 2016 - 2:11am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

29th April 2024's Text Adventure:
Choose Your Medieval Fantasy Character:

Barbarian
Barbarian
Draconian
Draconian
Fighter
Fighter
Rogue
Rogue
Warlock
Warlock
Cleric
Cleric
Ranger
Ranger
Paladin
Paladin
Wizard
Wizard

+  1 2 
29th Jun, 2016 - 2:41pm / Post ID: #

If your character does something that gravely affects the rest of the party then should the party impose some kind of consequence, law or punishment specially if it happens often?

Sponsored Links:
29th Jun, 2016 - 3:52pm / Post ID: #

Party Against Act Character Can

I think that if the character is new to the party and is doing that goes against the party then the party characters should warn the character, unless the thing might put the party in danger then yes the party is free to act as needed.

29th Jun, 2016 - 4:17pm / Post ID: #

Can A Character Act Against A Party Reviews RPG & Card Board

How far would you go though? For instance a player might say, "I was just trying to see if… " or "I thought that could help us… " and maybe they are genuine in their attempt but it just doesn't help and they can't see it.

Post Date: 29th Jun, 2016 - 6:17pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Not everyone should have exactly the same agendas. Some things in common, sure. Party members had lives they lived, regardless of how long, prior to joining the party.

The past plays just as much importance in the present as the present plays in the future. Our hidden agendas and unknowns create great dramatic moments.

29th Jun, 2016 - 6:36pm / Post ID: #

I tend to agree with Malcolmshaw, the group should definitely let the player know that whatever they did was not appreciated and is causing grief or hardship. And if the player keeps doing it, then the group should somehow punish the errant player (Less shares of treasure, stop helping the player get kills, etc). There is a certain cooperative nature to Role-play Gaming together (I am not talking about the meta-game, but in-game), that must be upheld. If in real life a group of people was strong enough to go fight monsters, and some person in the group started creating problems, I have to imagine that some penalty would be imposed. At the same time though, everyone should be able to have fun and uniformity makes for a dull game. If someone is just being different and doing things their own way, but it doesn't hurt the party too much, I say go for it. By approaching problems from many different positions, a solution is more likely to be found.

29th Jun, 2016 - 10:18pm / Post ID: #

I think an important thing to take into consideration whether the problems are being caused by the character's actions in game or by the player and in how the player is expressing the character or if they are using the character to cause problems. Regular and consistent in-character foul ups and bad decisions should have in-character consequences that are reasonable to the offense and are going to depend largely on the group dynamic/relationships. It really depends on severity, circumstances and frequency. Sometimes though, those foul ups can actually make for a more interesting story/game.

Still, if I'm on a SWAT team team and every time we hit a house officer Joe can't figure out if he's coming or going and the whole stack gets fouled up as a result which places everyone at risk; well, that's not going to happen very many times before officer Joe is just off the team. Same concept applies with characters in a game in my opinion.

It's a different story, however, if you are talking about a problem player who keeps using their character to annoy, harass, or coerce the other players through their character and then turn around and try to claim "Hey, its not me. That's just what my character would do." Or if the player is constantly finding ways for his character to work against the group, rather than trying to help the party. Personally, I don't have a great deal of patience when dealing with that type of player.

I have had one instance in an online game where the new player was trying to work his character; when his character met one of the current player characters both characters were being pretty rude to the other character. It wasn't the players being rude to each other; just the way the characters were being played. I had to stop the session and explain "Alright, we're trying to work this character into the group, not get into a fight with him. How do we make this character joining the party happen?"

It kindof took a little metagaming in the end but it worked out well enough.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
29th Jun, 2016 - 11:45pm / Post ID: #

Can Character Act Against Party

Thanks for all your points.

Malcomshaw, when you say hidden agendas you mean of the player or the character?

Alchyrogue, what penalty would you propose for a troublesome player. I'm talking about a penalty from the party and not the Dungeon Master.

Aericsteele, I was mostly thinking of a situation where you state your character will move silently while the other player's character walks in with Swedish made wooden shoes if you understand what I mean.

Post Date: 30th Jun, 2016 - 2:11am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Can Character Act Against Party Board Card & RPG Reviews

Character.

I have played in games where a player was playing a character assigned to be an antagonist by the GM.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Can A Character Act Against A Party

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,