Favorite Version Of D&D - Page 3 of 4

Daishain, most cantrips are less powerful - Page 3 - Board, Card, RPG Reviews - Posted: 24th Jan, 2017 - 4:46pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

15th May 2024's Text Adventure:
Choose Your Medieval Fantasy Character:

Rogue
Rogue
Cleric
Cleric
Draconian
Draconian
Paladin
Paladin
Barbarian
Barbarian
Warlock
Warlock
Ranger
Ranger
Fighter
Fighter
Wizard
Wizard

+  1 2 3 4 
Favorite Dungeons and Dragons Edition
Post Date: 21st Jan, 2017 - 4:48pm / Post ID: #

Favorite Version Of D&D
A Friend

Favorite Version Of D&D - Page 3

For me it actually depends on the role. When playing, my ranking goes 3.5/Pathfinder>5E>2E>4E. I love the metagame of building a complex character that the 3.5 era offers. 5E is only a little behind, as it is quite fun in its own right, only falling to second place due to limited character options. 2E just felt clunky, and 4E didn't feel like a RP game at all. Have yet to learn and try AD&D.

For Dungeon Mastering however, 5E goes to the front of the pack. The system is easier to teach and is noticeably more fluid, letting me run things more smoothly, and my players get the opportunity to do whatever they wish to without being buried in numbers along the way.

Reconcile Edited: daishain on 21st Jan, 2017 - 5:45pm

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 21st Jan, 2017 - 7:20pm / Post ID: #

Favorite Version Of D&D
A Friend

Dragons and Dungeons Version Favorite

So I have to say I haven't tried 5E yet. What's the difference between it and the other editions?

21st Jan, 2017 - 7:46pm / Post ID: #

Favorite Version Of D&D Reviews RPG & Card Board

Advance Dungeons & Dragons is the best or 2nd edition as its known to some. Advance Dungeons & Dragons is what got people to stop using the box sets and come over to the hardcover manuals.

Reconcile Edited: Hunter on 21st Jan, 2017 - 7:47pm

Post Date: 21st Jan, 2017 - 8:02pm / Post ID: #

Favorite Version Of D&D
A Friend

Page 3 Dragons and Dungeons Version Favorite

@abnninja, Some of the major differences:

-Game balance is considerably improved. Full casters are still on top of the heap, but the gap in between the best and the worst classes is much smaller. Pure martials no longer need to jump through hoops to be competitive. (To put it another way, compared to previous editions, power Tiers 1, 5, and 6 no longer exist, or at least are populated only by specific builds)
-Cantrips are at-will, and the ones used for offensive purposes auto-improve with character level, letting casters always have something useful to do, even if damage output using them is behind martials.
-Most of the OP magical tricks have been nerfed, Polymorph for instance is considerably more reasonable.
-BAB, save progression and skill points no longer exist. Their role is instead covered by your proficiency modifier, a single level based number.
-numbers in general are smaller. Modifiers in the double digits are tough to reach before high levels. As a result, weak creatures can remain a potential threat to tough ones, though the odds are distinctly against them.
-All classes have subclass options, which are often patterned after prestige classes. For instance, the Rogue at level 3 can choose to be a Thief, Arcane trickster, or Assassin (With additional options available outside the PHB).

Reconcile Edited: daishain on 21st Jan, 2017 - 8:10pm

Post Date: 21st Jan, 2017 - 9:46pm / Post ID: #

Favorite Version Of D&D
A Friend

Dragons and Dungeons Version Favorite

Daishain,

Thanks for the reply. Your explanation was great. This may be enough for me to go out and pick it up so I can give it a whirl. Of course, in sticking with the subject of the thread, I'm sticking with 3.5!

21st Jan, 2017 - 10:27pm / Post ID: #

Favorite Version Of D&D

The first system I was actually able to play when it comes to Dungeons & Dragons was AD&D 2e, though I have more familiarity with Dungeons & Dragons 3.5. Still to this day I have more play experience with AD&D 2e and Pathfinder then I do Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 though there is a lot I enjoy about latter.

Still, if I had to choose, I would say Pathfinder as it blends aspects I enjoy about AD&D 2e and Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 counting a more evolved form of kits into a similar idea of class archetypes.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 24th Jan, 2017 - 4:37pm / Post ID: #

Favorite Version D&D - Page 3

Name: Kind

Comments: I miss the red box style of Dungeons & Dragons. The rules were simple and there was more focus on the scenario than the character. The characters weren't super heroes like they are now and it was easier to bring in new players.

Post Date: 24th Jan, 2017 - 4:46pm / Post ID: #

Favorite Version Of D&D
A Friend

Favorite Version D&D Board Card & RPG Reviews - Page 3

Daishain, most cantrips are less powerful than martial attacks. Eldritch blast… I can't wait to have that available *smile* I think as more is published for 5e there will be customization possible. One upside to 5e having less options than 3.5 is balance. It is harder to balance things when class after class is being created in new books. As you mentioned, balance is a big problem in 3.5. A party made of only clerics and Druids would be able to handle anything thrown at them. Trading one of them out for another class would weaken the party. Just my opinion from what I've read during my research.

Playing in both a 3.5 and 5e game one change I really like is perception. It is so much better to have just one roll than have to roll spot and listen. The advantage/ disadvantage is brilliant also. Simple to use and very effective.

+  1 2 3 4 

> TOPIC: Favorite Version Of D&D

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,