Wisconsin Prisons Ban D&D Over Gang Fears

Wisconsin Prisons Ban D Gang Fears - Board, Card, RPG Reviews - Posted: 4th Jul, 2016 - 1:40am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

28th April 2024's Text Adventure:
Choose Your Medieval Fantasy Character:

Paladin
Paladin
Wizard
Wizard
Cleric
Cleric
Ranger
Ranger
Rogue
Rogue
Barbarian
Barbarian
Fighter
Fighter
Warlock
Warlock
Draconian
Draconian

Dungeons and Dragons
9th Feb, 2010 - 4:33am / Post ID: #

Wasn't quite sure where to put this, as it might go in Crime, but it isn't so much about any particular crime or case as the gaming culture of prisons.

international QUOTE
The violent nerd movement has suffered a serious setback. Yesterday, the 7th you.S. Circuit Court of Appeals upheld a Dungeons & Dragons ban in Wisconsin prisons. According to court records, prison officials were concerned that inmates were forming a "Gang" around the fantasy role-playing game.

The suit was brought to federal court by Kevin Singer, an inmate serving a life sentence for first-degree homocide at Wisconsin's Waupun prison. In 2004, officials confiscated Singer's collection of game manuals and other nerd paraphernalia, as well as 96 pages of dungeonmaster's notes.

This is one of the most subtle travesties to Mankind's freedoms I have seen, and I can confirm its validity, as I had a cousin that just got out of prison after four years. He was able to play games the first few years, but they started cracking down on gaming later, Dungeons & Dragons specifically but all were looked at with suspicion, and some were denied being sent to prisoners because they contained specifically violent or "Informative" wording, so I ended up with a Vietnam roleplaying game, because it talked about killing other people or something totally ridiculous.

I remember they went through, at least leafing, the pages I sent him, and some just got kept with no explanation as to why, and some people's Role-playing Game books (Some of which cost over $40 USD) just disappeared into the ether after being "Examined for violations" by the guards. He couldn't have dice, they kept the Dungeon Master's guide in a homemade bound paper "Book" that was actually hand-copied bible verses - ingenious. Most amusingly to me, the Call of Cthulhu game, about ancient tentacled alien gods plunging from the stars to be freed from their tombs by human sacrifice, and enslaving mankind and casting spells to wither and sicken people, never really had any trouble being in there. Go figure.

I could go into a longer observation about this kind of ignorant mindset, but the long and short of it is, these prisoners are still HUMAN, even the worst ones (Well maybe not the WORST, worst ones), and our mind and imagination is one of the few things we have that is truly our own and unable to be regulated or restricted, and I agree channeling these prisoners' anti-social habits into gaming IS therapeutic, my cousin saw and experienced this first hand, and to deny them this escapism and outlet is perhaps the worst possible decision that could be made, for society and them. All of the gamers in there were the more intelligent, philosophical and thoughtful types, mostly amiable and laid-back. So of course the system wants THAT to stop. Brilliant.

Credit - Gameculture.com: Source 8

Sponsored Links:
16th Feb, 2010 - 8:51am / Post ID: #

Fears Gang Dragons and Dungeons Ban Prisons Wisconsin

I have wondered about this very thing. I thought if I were to go to jail I would probably work on my campaign most of the time just to pass the time. I wasn't sure how that would work or if it was allowed. Now I realize even if it isn't allowed the game is hugely based on imagination. If my documents were confiscated and destroyed or whatever they would still be in my head. I have practically memorized the PHB and basic rules for ADnD after all these years or playing.

As for starting a ADnD gang, I kind of have to laugh at this. I have "visited" jail before and I highly doubt the guys in there would be afraid of the ADnD gang. biggrin.gif

18th Apr, 2010 - 3:32am / Post ID: #

Wisconsin Prisons Ban D&D Over Gang Fears Reviews RPG & Card Board

I wouldn't want to give any kind of manual to some psycho next thing he wants to kill me because he thinks I'm a goblin or something. Besides that I don't see anything wrong with some guys sitting around making up adventures and stuff. Cool way to like pass all that time.

18th Apr, 2010 - 11:39pm / Post ID: #

international QUOTE
I wouldn't want to give any kind of manual to some psycho next thing he wants to kill me because he thinks I'm a goblin or something.

I think this particular kind of person would be visible insane before inviting them to play. This kind of makes me chuckle to imagine a complete insane killer trying to learn ADnD.

I wan to be CE alignment would be your first clue. smile.gif Beyond that make sure he is not drooling or talking to himself.

19th Apr, 2010 - 3:42am / Post ID: #

international QUOTE
I think this particular kind of person would be visible insane before inviting them to play.

Not all of them are visibly insane. Some quacks only show their signs when their placed in a certain situation like something that triggers them off. I can see an AD&D game doing that easily given the number of different scenarios there are in a game.

4th Jul, 2016 - 1:40am / Post ID: #

I found this topic by chance while searching for something else and thought it was a joke. I can't believe they actually went to court with this and made it a ban! Come on Dungeons & Dragons ? In prison no Dungeons & Dragons ?

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!

> TOPIC: Wisconsin Prisons Ban D&D Over Gang Fears

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,