Does A Game System Imply A Genre Of Play

Does Game System Imply Genre Play - Board, Card, RPG Reviews - Posted: 22nd Jul, 2016 - 2:47am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

14th May 2024's Text Adventure:
Choose Your Medieval Fantasy Character:

Paladin
Paladin
Barbarian
Barbarian
Wizard
Wizard
Rogue
Rogue
Cleric
Cleric
Fighter
Fighter
Ranger
Ranger
Warlock
Warlock
Draconian
Draconian

Post Date: 21st Jul, 2016 - 4:39pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Does a game system, like Dungeons and Dragon naturally imply that the games are going to be Fantasy?

I begin my gaming life as a toddler sitting in my father's lap as he GM'd Dungeons & Dragons for his buddies around our dinner table. Having read all the 2nd edition Dungeons & Dragons books by the time I was in 2nd Grade, I would say the system screams for Fantasy. But in recent years, fantasy hasn't been the only genre to appear from the pages of Dungeons & Dragons and its supplements.

How does one get around the implied genre for say Dungeons & Dragons and encourage players to try a campaign outside the norm?

Sponsored Links:
21st Jul, 2016 - 6:57pm / Post ID: #

Play Genre Imply System Game Does

I was reading up on something like this some time ago and TSR did come out with Gamma World which wasn't as popular as Dungeons & Dragons so I think there wasn't as much focus on it. When anyone hears " Dungeons & Dragons " they think medieval fantasy not science fiction but I'm sure it can be converted if someone is willing to come up with all the skill and feat equivalents.

Post Date: 21st Jul, 2016 - 7:17pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Does A Game System Imply A Genre Of Play Reviews RPG & Card Board

I agree Txtrpg. Gamma World was one attempt by TSR. How about Spelljammer?

How would you proceed to advertise interest for such a campaign that is off the norm? Would mentioning that it utilizes a certain system's ruleset be appropriate or would you take another approach and advertise the setting and its features?

21st Jul, 2016 - 8:43pm / Post ID: #

I wish I could help you out Malcomshaw but as a relatively new player to it all I can't suggest anything. All I can say for myself is I would not dive into anything I wasn't already familiar with unless I was in that mood** to try something new.

** That doesn't happen too often.

Post Date: 22nd Jul, 2016 - 12:12am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Malcolm, I think you have to have the emphasis on the setting and not the game system being used. Talk about the setting and maybe have a small note about the system being used. Many people prefer fantasy to sci-fi. With the type of game you are referring to you need people that like the setting. If they like the setting then the system being used shouldn't matter much. Many people like the various Dungeons & Dragons editions but would not want to play a Science Fiction game. That's just my opinion of course. I hope that helps a little bit *smile*.

Reconcile Edited: Kyrroeth on 22nd Jul, 2016 - 12:14am

22nd Jul, 2016 - 2:21am / Post ID: #

I think a lot of people do things just because its a certain name brand. The style could suck but they just do it anyway because its "X". Others are more sensitive and want to see what the whole thing is about rather than just what the rules are. If a game system is going to dictate a genre then there is a reason for that - the system was made for it. Dungeons & Dragons wasn't made for science fiction, while it could be adapted how do you account for skills, feats, profession, science, technology, planets and all that? You can't with just Dungeons & Dragons books so you end up coming up with your own stuff. Then is it Dungeons & Dragons any more or really your system just using Dungeons & Dragons rules for certain things. Others have been down this road before and they make systems that cater for science fiction.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 22nd Jul, 2016 - 2:47am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Does Game System Imply Genre Play

If you utilize the name brand to sell the content, is that wrong?

Sure there is a lot of work in converting a fantasy system to a science fiction. However if the core mechanics are that adapatable, why couldn't it be advertised as "Science Fiction for Dungeons & Dragons "?

So on the forums, Dungeons & Dragons falls under its own section. If that is the only place to run Dungeons & Dragons games, and the other games are all fantasy, would a Science Fiction game being rejected from that section?

-MS.

> TOPIC: Does A Game System Imply A Genre Of Play

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,