What Is The Purpose Of Character Class?

What Purpose Character Class - Board, Card, RPG Reviews - Posted: 8th Aug, 2016 - 8:55pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

20th April 2024's Text Adventure:
Choose Your Medieval Fantasy Character:

Ranger
Ranger
Barbarian
Barbarian
Fighter
Fighter
Draconian
Draconian
Rogue
Rogue
Paladin
Paladin
Cleric
Cleric
Wizard
Wizard
Warlock
Warlock

+  1 2 
Post Date: 6th Aug, 2016 - 5:47am / Post ID: #

A Friend

What is the Purpose of Character Class?

In the research I have done, the early days of Role-playing Games, Class seemed to be an easy way for Characters to be created for play. You knew what requirements you needed to play a specific class and there were inherent abilities and skills associated with each Class. Simply designed, it really made for an easy pick up and intro into the early games. Years have changed Class in my opinion.

Many systems have stepped away from class as it seems it has become a narrow path instead of a liberating expression of self. Other systems have gone to using archetypes or something similar. Archetypes give a template for a character, what might be considered a pre-generated character. Easy enough to photocopy and put into play. Adjusting details within an archetype allows for customization and a player's own flair. Archetypes don't have skills and abilities related to them. Skills, abilities, feats and talents are open to anyone in an archetype systems.

So I ask the question, what purpose does class play?

Sponsored Links:
7th Aug, 2016 - 1:06pm / Post ID: #

Class Character Purpose The What

Character class gives limits to players otherwise they would be creating characters that were instantly able to do whatever they wanted. Magic, thieving, fighting all in one from the first level. Having a class gives your character focus and boundaries in which to operate.

Post Date: 7th Aug, 2016 - 2:45pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

What Is The Purpose Of Character Class? Reviews RPG & Card Board

I believe that character class is a way to round out your character. What do you want your character to be. While it is a good idea to have a character that can do it all like fight, heal, use magic and have thieve skills just think how long it will take to have that character good at all of that. I think the character class helps you get your character to a place that helps out there others in play by specializing in just one aspect. Thus everyone does their part in helping the whole party out and everyone profits thereby.

Post Date: 7th Aug, 2016 - 4:04pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

A fair number of systems have gone to Purchase Points during Character Creation, which opens up options should a character decide to grab some "Odd" skills or abilities. One writer from another blog I read, mentioned character classes as "Pigeon-holing" a player into options that maybe they didn't want.

If instead of classes, a player was able to decide on a role (Ie, Leader, Tank, DPS, Ranged, etc.,) this would still give direction without limiting experimentation into abilities and skill combinations.

Utilizing a specialization feature in abilities and skills where pre-requisite abilities and skills are required to specialize would also allow for "Personal touch" during character creation and later character development. The super powerful abilities and skills would be "Limited" by the requisites to acquire them. Self specialization seems more favorable than class imposed specializations.

8th Aug, 2016 - 5:55pm / Post ID: #

If you didn't have a class how would you introduce yourself? "I'm Krsuten, the adventurer!" does not have as nice a ring to it as saying "Krusten the Veteran Fighter" or something like that. Having a class also tells other players your character's primary abilities not the end of it, just the basics so they know what to expect from you.

Post Date: 8th Aug, 2016 - 6:44pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Krusten,

In 4th edition, even though they had classes, their prevailing system of character identification was roles. Controller, Defender, Leader, and Striker. A Cleric could easily be anyone of those roles as could any other class.

If one left off titles and class distinctions and let their actions and the opinions of others dictate what kind of title they had. Establishing bonds between characters is another good way for characters to identify themselves.

Archetypes have a title like classes, though customization options allow for tweaking in more ways than a limited class concept.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 8th Aug, 2016 - 7:37pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

What The Purpose Character Class

I feel that classes frame what a character can and can't do. I have seen other systems as well that don't use classes. Since Dungeons & Dragons was the first role playing game basically they almost had to have classes. People would have had a much harder time grasping the basics back then without that in place because it was all new. Games have changed since then and people really don't need classes so much anymore to understand their character concept.

I don't see it ever changing in Dungeons & Dragons though because that is such a long standing tradition. People expect to have classes. I would imagine wizards of the coast will be hesitant to ever remove them. They did try to change that up somewhat in 4th edition but that edition didn't go over too well. I think they have learned after that about staying true to the original heritage more so.

Post Date: 8th Aug, 2016 - 8:55pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

What The Purpose Character Class Board Card & RPG Reviews

Actually Dungeons & Dragons was the first to introduce the concept of R.C.C. (Racial Character Class) and O.C.C. (Occupational Character Class). When OD&D came out they had R.C.C.s (Dwarf, Elf, Halfling, Gnome) and O.C.C. (Cleric, Thief, Fighter, Wizard).

RPGs have only thought it necessary because they wanted to save on printing for the 5 or 10 pages needed top explain how characters are identified.

For a Text Based game like Play by Post, you could easily step out and away from classes simply by the description you present of your character. Role play the character to death and be as precise and or as vague as needed to present the right feel and flavor. I think ROK II is a fine example of a classes system. Sure you have titles but it doesn't frame the character and his or her abilities, saying that is all that they can do or be.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: What Is The Purpose Of Character Class?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,