Players That Have Trouble Getting Into Their Characters

Players Trouble Characters - Board, Card, RPG Reviews - Posted: 22nd Sep, 2016 - 10:12pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

07th May 2024's Text Adventure:
Choose Your Medieval Fantasy Character:

Rogue
Rogue
Ranger
Ranger
Draconian
Draconian
Warlock
Warlock
Fighter
Fighter
Paladin
Paladin
Cleric
Cleric
Barbarian
Barbarian
Wizard
Wizard

How to understand in Character play
5th Aug, 2016 - 2:34am / Post ID: #

Players that have trouble getting into their Characters

What advice or tips will you give to a Player that has trouble getting a feel for their Character and how to role-play him or her?

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 5th Aug, 2016 - 4:04am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Characters Into Trouble That Players

Character Concept and Personality.

This is where a player gets into their role during character creation and these things also serve as a reminder of what gets a player into character during game play.

Should you be a GM:
1. Encouraging character concepts and personality inception and development, whether through the system mechanics or homebrewing the appropriate mechanics into an existing system will be vital.

As a player:
1. Start with character concepts you are familiar with. Before you play in a game, write up a three to five paragraph backstory. In the backstory include past examples of his/her personality traits showing forth.

2. Periodically during play, expound on newly exhibited traits in similar three to five paragraph explanation.

3. Should you acquire a new piece of equipment, explain what it means to your character in persoanl and sentimental terms.

11th Aug, 2016 - 7:07pm / Post ID: #

Players That Have Trouble Getting Into Their Characters Reviews RPG & Card Board

First thing, relax. Then take a deep breath and let your imagination take over. For me what makes it difficult is when you do too much thinking and analyzing. Just go with the flow, the first things that jump in your head and improve on it.

16th Aug, 2016 - 10:02pm / Post ID: #

I think some of it does depend on the style of play, but in general I would suggest that they not put too much pressure on themselves. My opinion is that role playing games, in general, run along a spectrum of role playing vs. Game.

Some game systems, like Fiasco for example, place a great deal of emphasis on getting into the role almost like an actor getting into character. The mechanics of the game are in the background and almost always give way to the "Story" While other games place more emphasis on the game and the mechanics. They play out almost like a board game; for example in some Dungeons & Dragons games they use battle mats/grids and focus almost entirely on combat/hack and slash, essentially moving the figures around on the grid going from one room to the next in the dungeon slaying monsters and gathering loot; there is very little 'role playing' involved. Other Dungeons & Dragons games see very little combat and sometimes can go an entire gaming session without rolling dice.

So I guess some of my advice would be that there is no need to force it when it comes to getting into character, we as players of the game are allowed to fall anywhere along that spectrum that we choose to. In a way I see it as being a golden age for gaming where there is something out there for just about everyone. If a player really like the role play aspect there are games out there that cater to that, but if a player prefers the combat mechanics and the board game feel of it, there are games out there that cater to that as well, and just about everything in between.

Of course if the player is not very adept at the role play aspect, but would like to become more adept at it, then the best advice I could give is practice, practice, and practice some more. Read books and watch movies/TV shows that inspire you and take your cues from one of those characters.

Sometimes its as easy as taking one little quirk or mannerism and adding it to the character… like tugging on their armor when they're uncomfortable or nervous. I for one, struggle with role-playing a character in a face-to-face game and I tend to do most of my live gaming from more of a third person angle i.e. "Mykael tells the guard to pound sand" as opposed to *using my characters voice* "You yellow bellied, scum sucking pig of a guard, go pound sand!"

But when I'm writing or in a forum based game I tend to favor the latter style, neither one is right or wrong I suppose but I just don't naturally have a feel for role playing in a face to face setting, I lean toward the game part over the role play in that case.

1st Sep, 2016 - 11:21pm / Post ID: #

This is similar to what I said in another thread but I will summarize it here, basically choose a character and personality that fits yourself so you do not have to worry about getting into it because you are already it. wink.gif.

22nd Sep, 2016 - 10:12pm / Post ID: #

First tip, create a character you feel good about. That might take some tweaking that the Dungeon Master might not allow but once you feel good about your creation then getting into character will be that much easier.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!

> TOPIC: Players That Have Trouble Getting Into Their Characters

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,