Nuclear Waste - Environmental Hogwash?

Nuclear Waste Environmental Hogwash - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 26th Jun, 2005 - 8:20pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Are we really at risk or are humans making a big deal out of nothing?
Post Date: 22nd Jul, 2004 - 11:59pm / Post ID: #

Humans are rarely concerned about their environment unless it directly affects them, therefore their are many radical activists like 'Green Peace' that will risk their very lives to save the environment. Are human zealots going overboard or are they in keeping with what 'mother' earth would want them to do?

international QUOTE
PLASTIC BAGS BEING TRASHED

Imagine a world without plastic shopping bags. It could be the future. There is a growing international movement to ban or discourage the use of plastic bags because of their environmental effects. Countries from Ireland to Australia are cracking down on the bags and action is beginning to stir in the United States.
Ref. https://deseretnews.com/dn/view/1,1249,... 78700,00.html

Sponsored Links:
23rd Jul, 2004 - 1:18am / Post ID: #

Hogwash Environmental Waste Nuclear

The zealots are definitely going overboard. Plastic bags are far less polluting than paper bags, in a lot of ways. The manufacturing process for paper bags uses many toxic chemicals, and when they rot in landfills, they create many more toxins. On the other hand, since one of the severe problems with landfills is the fact that the chemicals from rotting garbage try to seep out, plastic bags help to stop this action, since they DON'T rot. They provide necessary structure to the landfill.

But, this is science that Greenpeace and other environmentalist wackos don't want people to know about.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 854 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 85.4%

Post Date: 23rd Jul, 2004 - 2:44pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Nuclear Waste - Environmental Hogwash? History & Civil Business Politics

I tend to think that they are going overboard. But then I think anyone that could be considered a zealot for any cause probably needs more balance in their life.

But then, I'm no environmental scientist, so I can't say for sure just how much trouble we may or may not be in. But in any case, I do think that they go overboard with it.

23rd Jul, 2004 - 4:00pm / Post ID: #

As someone who has studied a little environmentalism I would classify it alongside Evolution I'm afraid.

Certainly it is no bad thing to be in harmony with nature, but my view of that is as far removed from the Environmentalist zealots as it is from the Gaia crowd.

I believe that environmental issues have been exaggerated and hijacked for political reasons. Politically centralist (read globalist) forces in the world can use such fears and junk science to give excuse for more government regulation.

There are some good articles on various aspects of environmentalism here:

https://www.thenewamerican.com/focus/environment/index.htm

There are also some good books debunking many of the myths such as global warming.

Dubhdara.

International Level: Junior Politician / Political Participation: 100 ActivistPoliticianJunior Politician 10%

Post Date: 12th Oct, 2004 - 12:08am / Post ID: #

A Friend

In Australia, we are getting rid of these vile things. The simple fact is that plastic bags represent an ecological disaster.

Originally posted by Nighthawk

since they DON'T rot. They provide necessary structure to the landfill.

This is an interesting point of view. All this plastic does not remain intact forever and it does eventually break down due to the effects of heat, cold, ultra violet rays, abrasion and ends up as dust, but the plastic does not disappear, it is just transformed into tiny particles. This "plastic dust" is then carried by wind and water and it gets into the sea unseen.

Researchers have carried out experiments in most parts of the world. The findings are identical: plastic material is present everywhere. The particles measure approximately 2 hundredths of a millimeter (it is very likely that smaller ones do exist). What becomes of these particles? Polymers last for a very long time: from one hundred to one thousand years! Can they get into the food chain? Invertebrates in plankton and mollusks ingest them but do they have an influence on their metabolism?

14 million tons of plastic waste is thrown into the sea every year. As an example, 122 million plastic bags are permanently strewn around the 4 500 km of French coastline (according to the WWF). This plastic is found on all the beaches of the globe from Antarctica to Africa. The pollution is visible and on some African beaches it has piled up to at least one meter in depth.

They represent an immediate danger for a wide variety of marine animals such as cetaceans, turtles and seals which mistake them for prey. Some choke and die.

I have made the switch to re-usable bags for shopping. I also buy items based on the packaging. If it can't be recycled it stays on the shelf. If everybody makes an effort good will come of it. The sad thing is that most people are just too lazy to bother.

12th Oct, 2004 - 2:02am / Post ID: #

This "plastic dust" is then carried by wind and water and it gets into the sea unseen....Researchers have carried out experiments in most parts of the world. The findings are identical: plastic material is present everywhere.

Personally, I doubt that all of this plastic material is from plastic shopping bags alone. Our global culture is so completely inundated with plastics! I do recycle what I can, and I strive to use fewer of the so-called disposable convenience items. But I truly doubt my little effort is saving anyone; I just feel better doing it, and teaching my kids to do it.

As far as the Wacko Environmentalists go, I believe a lot of them are in it for the glory, and not the true goal of "saving the earth."

In my opinion, of course.
Roz

International Level: Ambassador / Political Participation: 595 ActivistPoliticianAmbassador 59.5%

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
10th Dec, 2004 - 12:23am / Post ID: #

Nuclear Waste Environmental Hogwash

I think they are right in the overall message that we are careless with our actions, but still, eliminating plastic bags is not going to solve the problem. But then, every little addition counts, and I don't really care whether my bags are plastic or not.

International Level: Activist / Political Participation: 29 ActivistPoliticianActivist 2.9%

Post Date: 26th Jun, 2005 - 8:20pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Nuclear Waste Environmental Hogwash Politics Business Civil & History

DEFENCE MINISTER LIED TO ME OVER BOMBING - FORMER FRENCH PM

The French Prime Minister at the time of the Rainbow Warrior incident says the defence minister lied to him about the French Government's involvement in bombing the Greenpeace flagship.
Ref. https://www.stuff.co.nz/hlc/1,,93498~3326291a11~,00.html

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Nuclear Waste - Environmental Hogwash?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,