Most Important Part Of Roleplaying

Most Important Part Roleplaying - Board, Card, RPG Reviews - Posted: 7th Nov, 2016 - 2:14pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

28th April 2024's Text Adventure:
Choose Your Medieval Fantasy Character:

Warlock
Warlock
Draconian
Draconian
Fighter
Fighter
Cleric
Cleric
Rogue
Rogue
Paladin
Paladin
Barbarian
Barbarian
Ranger
Ranger
Wizard
Wizard

+  1 2 
Post Date: 30th Oct, 2016 - 7:30pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

I was just wondering what was the most important part of a role-playing game to you. When building a character do you look purely at the numbers and make them as strong as possible or do you worry more about making them interesting and fitting the concept you have for that character? I am concerned more about making them interesting. I love having a concept and knowing I'm hurting the character some by following that concept. I am concerned about the numbers game a little bit though. I don't care at all about having the most powerful character in the group but I don't want to make a character that is basically useless either. It is frustrating to have a character that you feel contributes nothing to the group. So I lean heavily towards making an interesting character but a still useful one. What about you?

Sponsored Links:
30th Oct, 2016 - 7:54pm / Post ID: #

Roleplaying Part Important Most

I have a subdued character that's a cleric. She tries to help in combat situations but does not to do well so she has decided to dedicate her time to healing and preaching about her deity. I did not intentionally start her this way but it just turned out like that so I decided to go with the flow.

Post Date: 30th Oct, 2016 - 8:34pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Most Important Part Of Roleplaying Reviews RPG & Card Board

Its a balancing act, and I frankly have a tough time declaring one to be more important than the other.

A character that has an excellent and interesting story, but is very weak mechanically, can be frustrating to play in most games, as it is difficult to actually accomplish much. The issue would be less noticeable in Role-playing Games that are almost pure role-play, but that isn't my usual cup of tea.

In the reverse, a character that is mechanically strong, but with really weird or uninteresting fluff details, is pretty much just a number generator. There are more interesting ways to play a shootemup with no plot.

And so, I endeavor to find a happy medium. I won't deny that I look for powerful build combinations, but they will be chosen with respect to the character's concept and personality I am building.

1st Nov, 2016 - 1:33am / Post ID: #

I have never been very good at "Character building" from a mechanical stand point; I think it's one of the reasons that games like Pathfinder ad Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 tend to get less of my attention because they seem to be heavily focused on the build over the character concept (Just my opinion). But I agree that you do have to pay some attention to the numbers game particularly in combat heavy games. It can be very frustrating when you create a character with the intent of having a lot of social skills to deal with social interactions but the game turns out to be almost exclusively combat driven; in that instance it definitely feels like I've created a useless character.

As a game master though it is difficult to strike that balance between the role playing and the game aspects. Like it or not it does seem that combat is often the driving force behind most games. Combat is exciting and tends to involve everyone while diplomacy is usually a little more restrictive and can be much slower paced though it does have its tension, but this tension is most often related to the possibility of combat it seems.

Post Date: 1st Nov, 2016 - 2:46am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Very true Aeric. I played 3.5 with a new group. I built a bard that was great at the social aspects of the game but just ok at combat. I like social characters. The Dungeon Master was unknown to me and I should have asked what style she emphasizes. We started playing and there was absolutely zero social play. It was just exploration and combat. We never had a chance to speak to anyone. They always attacked us. My character was almost useless. It was really a frustrating time.

4th Nov, 2016 - 4:11am / Post ID: #

The most important part of role-playing in my opinion is the contribution each participant makes to the collective enjoyment of all that are in the same game.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 5th Nov, 2016 - 1:49pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Most Important Part Roleplaying

It is my belief that a strong player can die just as quick as a weak player. The game is supposed to be fun and enjoyable and role playing a character that may look weak can be one of the best characters of the game. I do reward players for their role play as well as from combat. One can level up with good role play it does not have to be all combat.

Post Date: 7th Nov, 2016 - 2:14pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Most Important Part Roleplaying Board Card & RPG Reviews

Personally I believe that the game is both Roll playing and Role playing, a combination of both. Each person is a part of the pie that makes the game. If everyone can find there way to contribute to the game as a player character in game. Each character had different focuses and different things they are all good and bad at. So STAT's and Character building is both numbers and creativity.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Most Important Part Of Roleplaying

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,