Your Personality Does Not Fit Your Character

Your Personality Fit Character - Board, Card, RPG Reviews - Posted: 3rd Feb, 2017 - 2:43pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

23rd April 2024's Text Adventure:
Choose Your Medieval Fantasy Character:

Barbarian
Barbarian
Wizard
Wizard
Draconian
Draconian
Rogue
Rogue
Paladin
Paladin
Cleric
Cleric
Fighter
Fighter
Ranger
Ranger
Warlock
Warlock

+  1 2 
8th Jan, 2016 - 6:20pm / Post ID: #

The title could be reversed too, "Your character does not fit your personality". Ever find that someone creates a character that they just don't manage right because they have a personality that makes it hard for them to role-play? Take for instance a happy kind person creating an evil thief that seems to be too kind, more like a Robin Hood. Have you [seen] that? Ever tried suggesting to create a certain kind of character? laugh.gif.

Sponsored Links:
8th Jan, 2016 - 7:24pm / Post ID: #

Character Fit Not Personality Your

I don't know if this is going off topic but I'd say that their personality came out too much in their character whether for good or bad it was more like running an avatar than a character if you know what I mean.

Post Date: 14th Jan, 2016 - 5:39pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Your Personality Does Not Fit Your Character Reviews RPG & Card Board

That's a fascinating question: Why would a good person pretend to be evil? My off-the-cuff answer is that They're using roleplay to experiment with behaviors that are unacceptable their real life.

Then there's the flip side of the question: Why would you pretend to be someone similar to your real life personality? That's like pretending to be yourself. Then again, according to personality theory, that's what we do all the time.

14th Jan, 2016 - 5:48pm / Post ID: #

Ken! You answered with more questions. laugh.gif Its true what you said about them experimenting but someone choosing to have a character that's evil may not necessarily be about their real life or their alter motives it might simply be that they're wanting to be different.

Post Date: 14th Jan, 2016 - 7:08pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

That's true. Games are, almost by definition, an escape from real life, not a tool for analyzing it.

Post Date: 20th Jan, 2016 - 3:16am / Post ID: #

A Friend

I have one character persona that I love player - Diarmadhim. If you see it in a game, chances are it's me playing him. I've used it since '96, although I've had a few people steal the name and use it for things [..]. Anyways, he's actually me and is a loveable [annoyance]. I feel like I'm constantly checking myself in real life and when I get to play him, my real personality comes out. He is perfectly nice but with an intolerance of idiots. If you cross him, he's done with you until you make things right. Sometimes he does things that while unethical are perfectly legal, just to prove a point. If there's no specific law against something - he'll do it if it benefits him.

One of the other players in my RL group recently handed the Dungeon Master a character and the Dungeon Master asked him to make something he would actually enjoy. I didn't look at the character, but apparently it was something our buddy thought the other player would be incapable of playing effectively.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
26th Jan, 2016 - 4:48pm / Post ID: #

Your Personality Not Fit Character

What Fairmaiden brought up is true, it does happen, but I'm personally fine with it simply because not everyone will know how to role-play for everyone's expectations. I rather someone consistently giving their input into the game rather than showing up every blue moon as if they got Abrams to write the script.

Post Date: 3rd Feb, 2017 - 2:43pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Your Personality Not Fit Character Board Card & RPG Reviews

Hmm, older topic but one I feel is worth bringing back.

I find that playing a character dramatically opposed to who I am is quite difficult. If I'm attached enough to what they're doing, it is almost painful to keep up, and if I'm not attached, I'm not really involved in the game. Aspects of my personality tend to slip in whether I had intended them to or not.

On the other hand, Ken is correct, I am not all that interested in playing myself.

In the interest of maintaining a balance atwixt the twain, and controlling how far things slip from the original concept, I've taken to certain patterns with characters. None may be exactly like me, but all have some shard of who I am. The cynical analytic aspect of Lukas, the helpful counselor in Kresnik, etc.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Your Personality Does Not Fit Your Character

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,