Daishain's 5e D&D RPG Main Thread - Page 1149 of 1199

The Sphinx studies the diagrams carefully, - Page 1149 - D&D / Pathfinder Archive - Posted: 26th Sep, 2018 - 8:26pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

08th May 2024's Text Adventure:
Choose Your Medieval Fantasy Character:

Warlock
Warlock
Cleric
Cleric
Fighter
Fighter
Barbarian
Barbarian
Paladin
Paladin
Rogue
Rogue
Wizard
Wizard
Ranger
Ranger
Draconian
Draconian

+  « First of 1199 pgs.  1145 1146 1147 1148 1149 1150 1151 1152 1153  ...Latest (1199) »
Closed
Daishain’s 5th Edition D&D RPG Main Thread Only approved Players should Post here. Dungeons and Dragons
This RPG is CLOSED Game Master GM Stats
Post Date: 25th Sep, 2018 - 9:30pm / Post ID: #

Daishain's 5e D&D RPG Main Thread
A Friend

Daishain's 5e D&D RPG Main Thread - Page 1149

The sphinx thinks about it for a bit, then nods, "Well reasoned, the key is yours." Removing her half of the key she holds it out for Lawrence to take.

"I have one riddle remaining, if you are willing, and answer correctly, I am authorized to answer questions about this place. Interested?"

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 25th Sep, 2018 - 9:31pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Thread Main RPG Dragons and Dungeons e Daishains

"Oh, yes, please! I'd love to have another riddle! I'm sure the information would be worth, too, I guess." He leans further forward, eagerly awaiting the next puzzle to solve.

Post Date: 25th Sep, 2018 - 10:39pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Daishain's 5e D&D RPG Main Thread Archive Pathfinder / D&D

"You have 12 visually identical platinum coins. One of them is a fake, and weighs slightly different than the others. Before you is a scale, but you may make use of it only three times. How would you go about identifying the fake?"

Out of Character: to be clear, we're speaking of an old fashioned balance scale, you can only compare weights with it rather than directly measure them.

Reconcile Edited: daishain on 25th Sep, 2018 - 10:40pm

Post Date: 26th Sep, 2018 - 12:15am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Page 1149 Thread Main RPG Dragons and Dungeons e Daishains

Lia listens quietly as Lawrance solves riddle after riddle. She stands back and watches him try to solve the last one. Lia looks down and mouths a silent prayer to Sune. She reaches up and checks to make sure that her raven locks aren't out of place. Looking to Velon she then winks.

Reconcile Edited: Kyrroeth on 26th Sep, 2018 - 12:17am

Post Date: 26th Sep, 2018 - 3:04am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Thread Main RPG Dragons and Dungeons e Daishains

Velon has a confused look on his face with regard to the second riddle and keeps contorting his face in different ways as he ponders it. "I'll never get this" he thinks to himself. Then Lawrance speaks and Velon starts following along "Uh huh, ok, that makes sense, yup." Then Lawrance finishes up and Velon thinks to himself "But, but, none of the ways he describe would allow this 'joker' to be guardian 'C'! Oh no, Lawrance…! "It is too late, however, the sphynx has accepted this as the answer and is pondering it. Then the sphynx accepts the answer as correct and Velon thinks "What? That doesn't make.. Oh, what in the nine hells do I know". Finally he verbalizes "Well done, Lawrance!" "Mark one down for the value of wizards after all!"

Velon then eagerly listens to the next riddle, now intrigued by this type of thinking despite that he has little practice with it. He ponders "Hm, 12 coins, three tries." "Piles of six? Piles of 3? Piles of 4?" Thinking for another minute he continues "I think if he had said the false coin was definitely heavier or definitely lighter I could do this one, but we aren't sure, hm." Another minute and Velon concludes in his mind "Nope, I don't think I could do this in less than four uses of the scale. I hope the wizard proves himself smarter once again!"

Reconcile Edited: Cinder on 26th Sep, 2018 - 3:06am

Post Date: 26th Sep, 2018 - 3:18am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Cratol continues to stand a bit back from the wizard as he works the riddles. Not being a riddle master he will allow those who can understand them netter to answer even if he thinks he understands how to find the fake coin.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 26th Sep, 2018 - 3:46pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Daishain's 5e D&D RPG Main Thread - Page 1149

Lawrance spends an usual amount of time on this riddle, with Perrys and others help in making sure it all works out, then he rises and starts to provide his solution. WIth liberal use of cantrip illusions, he conjures coins and scales and begins working through the math. "If you split the coins into stacks of four, you can then weigh two of these stacks. If they are balanced, the last stack contains the bad coin. You take the last stack, split it into two, and weigh two of those against two good coins. If they balance, the bad coins are in the unweighed two. You then take one of those two and weigh it against a known good coin. If it balances, the bad coin is the last. If it doesn't, it's the one you just weighed. If the second weighing doesn't balance, take the known bad coin side and balance one of those against a good coin. If THAT balances, then the bad coin is the other. "
Taking a deep breath, he gets into the more involved possibility "If the first weighing doesn't balance, then the bad coin is one of the eight. Take out two and put them aside. From the lighter side, we'll number the coins 1234, and the heavier side we'll letter them abcd. Take 3 & 4 and put them aside, then put 1 with ab 2 with cd. If they balance, the bad coins are in the two put aside. As before, weigh one against a known good coin, with the same logic.
If the two mixed piles of three don't balance and the same side as before is still lighter, then the bad coin is either the 2 heavier coins cd, or it's a light number 1. If it reverses which side is light, then the bad coin is a heavy ab or a light 2. Take whichever pair was heavy and weigh one against the other. If it doesn't balance, the heavy side is the bad coin. If it does, it's the single light coin."

Reconcile Edited: Gknightbc on 26th Sep, 2018 - 6:37pm

Post Date: 26th Sep, 2018 - 8:26pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Daishain's 5e D&D RPG Main Thread D&D / Pathfinder Archive - Page 1149

The Sphinx studies the diagrams carefully, listens to his words, and then closes her eyes.

Opening them she says, "The solution seems to be valid, what do you wish to know?"

> TOPIC: Daishain's 5e D&D RPG Main Thread

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,
This International Discussions custom Play By Post Pathfinder Role-playing Game uses trademarks and/or copyrights owned by Paizo Publishing, LLC under permission. More details can be found in the first Post of any Pathfinder RPG. Wizards of the Coast are he trademark owners for D&D and likewise allow the use of their system under permission.