3.5 D&D You As Character RPG Creation - Page 19 of 42

Sighs, fair enough. I do wish it would have - Page 19 - D&D / Pathfinder Archive - Posted: 30th Jun, 2017 - 2:09pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

19th April 2024's Text Adventure:
Choose Your Medieval Fantasy Character:

Rogue
Rogue
Warlock
Warlock
Fighter
Fighter
Wizard
Wizard
Cleric
Cleric
Barbarian
Barbarian
Paladin
Paladin
Ranger
Ranger
Draconian
Draconian

+  « First of 42 pgs.  15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23  ...Latest (42) »
Closed
Discuss  3 5 D&D As Character Role-Playing Game Create your Character here. Your Character is based on your real life stats. Dungeons and Dragons
This RPG is CLOSED GM Stats
30th Jun, 2017 - 2:04am / Post ID: #
Thomas
L4 Bard
Character
Follower / Middle Rear
Character Sheet Lock
Active Player Active Role-player!

3.5 D&D You As Character RPG Creation - Page 19

The Storyteller says...

The only decent substitute I'm seeing if I go with the Divine Bard provided by the Dungeon Master is to go with the Knowledge domain, as well as taking the Knowledge Devotion feat but even then it's not quite the same.

Another disadvantage with this consideration is the fact that one of the big benefits of the Knowledge domain, gaining all the Knowledge skills as class skills, is something the Bard already has. With this, most of the domain spells given are those already on the Bard's spell list.

The Courage Domain would be interesting to have, very beneficial though I'd have to double check to see if any of the spells are already on the Bard's spell list. Though what I might have to do is multiclass possibly, yet if I did I would have it be that of a Bard/Druid and go into the Fochlucan Lyrist prestige class. Source 1

Reconcile Edited: Thomaslee on 30th Jun, 2017 - 2:34am

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 30th Jun, 2017 - 2:39am / Post ID: #

3.5 D&D You As Character RPG Creation
A Friend

Creation RPG Character You Dragons and Dungeons

It appears to be easier to stick divine magic and other such things onto a bard than it is to stick bardic knowledge onto anything else.

With that in mind, I would suggest dropping the Divine Bard ACF, and either stick with the classic, or pick up something else. Bardic Sage ACF for instance seems particularly good, and it actually gives a bonus to bardic knowledge checks. Though we probably want to confirm with Kn what version he wants to use, as the one I'm familiar with comes from UA as well.

Once that's set, you could dip cleric, or pick up devotion feats, or go into a number of divine related PrCs.

In that line of thinking, one of my favorite bard concept builds involves using Crusader (Tome of Battle's nonalignment restricted version of the Paladin) dips to pick up Song of the White Raven along with other boosts. Done right, that combo can turn Inspire Courage into a powerhouse of a buff, and Thomas into an inspiring battle leader.

Reconcile Edited: daishain on 30th Jun, 2017 - 2:44am

30th Jun, 2017 - 2:48am / Post ID: #
Thomas
L4 Bard
Character
Follower / Middle Rear
Character Sheet Lock

3.5 D&D You As Character RPG Creation Archive Pathfinder / D&D

The Storyteller says...

I think I will stick with the classic Bard, and after refamiliarizing myself with Fochlucan Lyrist I think that could be a very strong option. This especially since I have been considering how to incorporate being an Eagle Scout in how I build myself as a character.

If I start with Bard, go into Druid, and find a way of getting the evasion class feature to work my way into the Fochlucan Lyrist it could very well give a strong base for how I can represent myself. Also, the prestige class does improve both Bardic Knowledge and Bardic Music, in addition to spellcasting as a while. All in all a nice blend features that work well in creating a more Druidic Bard with both divine and arcane magic.

Only issue that comes with this is that the divine magic perhaps comes more from nature then perhaps a deity though it could always be said that a more nature focused deity took an interest in me. Also, no cure minor wounds cantrip and thus no way of healing at the moment so I would definitely need to edit my post or have it that I was incorrect in believing I could use healing magic at the moment.

Reconcile Edited: Thomaslee on 30th Jun, 2017 - 2:50am

Post Date: 30th Jun, 2017 - 2:59am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Page 19 Creation RPG Character You Dragons and Dungeons

Hybrid PrCs tend to be weaker than just going straight into their parent classes. This doesn't appear to be an exception, it also appears that the earliest possible entry point into this particular PrC is level 10, pretty late as such things go.

Does the Divine Crusader PrC from complete divine appeal at all? It appears to be a stronger option to bring in divine magic, and doesn't have the drawback of being natural rather than deific in nature.

Reconcile Edited: daishain on 30th Jun, 2017 - 3:08am

Post Date: 30th Jun, 2017 - 3:13am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Creation RPG Character You Dragons and Dungeons

I was researching this as well Thomas. It looks insanely powerful at level 14 plus but in play by post that would take years to reach if ever. At lower levels it is hard to play because you will be so spread out between classes. It's your character and I don't want to put your idea down. It looks like a really fun concept. I just don't want you to get frustrated with the early struggles.

Reconcile Edited: Kyrroeth on 30th Jun, 2017 - 3:14am

30th Jun, 2017 - 3:17am / Post ID: #
Thomas
L4 Bard
Character
Follower / Middle Rear
Character Sheet Lock

The Storyteller says...

If I could keep it simple I would, which is why I originally wanted to go with the Divine Bard. Now though I am considering other options, I am left uncertain how I want to do this.

The Divine Crusader could work. Other considerations is the Evangelist, Green Whisperer, and Arcane Hierophant prestige classes. The Troubadour of Stars is very interesting, though it would bring things in a different direction. Each with their own strengths and weaknesses for the concept.

Reconcile Edited: Thomaslee on 30th Jun, 2017 - 3:52am

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 30th Jun, 2017 - 1:02pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

3.5 D&D You Character RPG Creation - Page 19

Two things Thomas. The leaving out of bardic knowledge I think works rather well for this game as you have come to a world where you have no knowledge of its past due to you being new here. I know it restricts you some but such is a way with varients.
If you wish to change to a different class that is fine by me but sometimes starting out restricted does not always mean that you can not find a way to overcome a weakness and turn it into a strength.

30th Jun, 2017 - 2:09pm / Post ID: #
Thomas
L4 Bard
Character
Follower / Middle Rear
Character Sheet Lock

3.5 D&D You Character RPG Creation D&D / Pathfinder Archive - Page 19

The Storyteller says...

Sighs, fair enough. I do wish it would have been noticed before though, as it does bother me a bit having to make such a change after already putting the character sheet together. Especially since I had chosen the feat Obscure Lore, which I will have to switch out for something else since I no longer qualify.

Though it makes sense when you explain it as such, Bardic Knowledge really is the one class feature that I hate switching out the most for when it comes to the Bard. The reason being is that I very much enjoy playing knowledgeable characters, the Bard allowing the character to have picked up little bits of knowledge here in there throughout their travels and truly become a well spring of lore, the past, or the world around them.

I guess giving up Bardic Knowledge will be okay, taking the Divine Bard that you offered before… perhaps with finding a way of picking it up later on or something similar? It does offer a fair few benefits, which can be nice, though many domains give class skills which a Bard already has… such as the Knowledge domain. WIth this in mind I will ask if there anything extra that you can offer when it comes to me possibly taking that domain? Since as a Bard I already have all the knowledges as class skills. Perhaps a +2 or so bonus to skill checks?

I could then perhaps take the Knowledge Devotion feat instead of Obscure Lore.

Reconcile Edited: Thomaslee on 30th Jun, 2017 - 2:23pm

> TOPIC: 3.5 D&D You As Character RPG Creation

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,
This International Discussions custom Play By Post Pathfinder Role-playing Game uses trademarks and/or copyrights owned by Paizo Publishing, LLC under permission. More details can be found in the first Post of any Pathfinder RPG. Wizards of the Coast are he trademark owners for D&D and likewise allow the use of their system under permission.