Mormon Perspective On Suicide

Mormon Perspective Suicide - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 6th Jan, 2005 - 9:41pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Post Date: 5th Jan, 2005 - 5:35pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

I am really interested in feedback on what the doctrine is on this issue, if there is one. Have there been any talks about this, General Authority or otherwise? Please let me know where your source of information is from. Thanks.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 5th Jan, 2005 - 7:47pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Suicide Perspective Mormon

I guess you have to take each situation on its own. Read the talk below by Elder Ballard. Although suicide is considered taking a life, just as killing someone else, there are or may be other circumstances. For example, someone who kills in a war, or in self defense is not under the same condemnation as someone who murders for gain. There are also things to consider under the specific reasons for taking of ones own life.

6th Jan, 2005 - 12:06am / Post ID: #

Mormon Perspective On Suicide Studies Doctrine Mormon

The link that Gaucho provided is excellent, you should check out the talks, specially the one of Elder Ballard. He quoted several Church leaders with regards to this issue, and he mentioned Elder Bruce R. Mc Conkie in the book Mormon Doctrine and he says :

international QUOTE

"Suicide consists in the voluntary and intentional taking of one's own life, particularly where the person involved is accountable and has a sound mind. "¦ Persons subject to great stresses may lose control of themselves and become mentally clouded to the point that they are no longer accountable for their acts. Such are not to be condemned for taking their own lives. It should also be remembered that judgment is the Lord's; he knows the thoughts, intents, and abilities of men; and he in his infinite wisdom will make all things right in due course." (Mormon Doctrine, Salt Lake City: Bookcraft, 1966, p. 771; some italics added.)

My uncle committed suicide a couple of years ago, he was not a member of the Church but he introduced me, my sister and my grandmom to the Church when we were very young because he said 'he knew in the Church we would learn good principles'. He was like a father to me since he raised my sister and I since I was one year old. It has been a very horrible and painful experience for all my family.... But I do know as Elder Ballard says that the Lord will judge accordingly to what he went through in his life and the things he has done when he was living on this Earth, as Elder Ballard states:

international QUOTE
"Not long ago I was asked to speak at the funeral of a dear friend who had committed suicide. Knowing the person and the circumstances as I did, and researching the doctrine on the subject, I had some difficult moments in preparing for my remarks. I know that any fully rational person who contemplates suicide must realize what a terribly selfish act this is. Peace came to me only when I recognized that only the Lord could administer fair judgment. He alone had all the facts, and only He would know the intent of the heart of my friend. I was reconciled with the idea that a lifetime of goodness and service to others must surely be considered by the Lord in judging the life of a person."

"I feel that judgment for sin is not always as cut-and-dried as some of us seem to think…
I feel that the Lord also recognizes differences in intent and circumstances: Was the person who took his life mentally ill? Was he or she so deeply depressed as to be unbalanced or otherwise emotionally disturbed? Was the suicide a tragic, pitiful call for help that went unheeded too long or progressed faster than the victim intended? Did he or she somehow not understand the seriousness of the act? Was he or she suffering from a chemical imbalance that led to despair and a loss of self-control?

Obviously, we do not know the full circumstances surrounding every suicide. Only the Lord knows all the details, and he it is who will judge our actions here on earth.

When he does judge us, I feel he will take all things into consideration: our genetic and chemical makeup, our mental state, our intellectual capacity, the teachings we have received, the traditions of our fathers, our health, and so forth."

The message of Elder Ballard is a message of hope and one that helped me a lot in dealing with my uncle's death. Even though suicide is a very serious sin, everyone can have the opportunity to repent and be wash clean.

"The dead who repent will be redeemed, through obedience to the ordinances of the house of God,

"And after they have paid the penalty of their transgressions, and are washed clean, shall receive a reward according to their works, for they are heirs of salvation." (Doctrine and Covenants 138:57-59). Source

Post Date: 6th Jan, 2005 - 1:35am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Thanks for responding gaucho and LDS. I did go to the talk by elder Ballard, and it was very good. I also looked at some of the other talks. I don't know why I don't feel satisfied, I guess I just wish there more specific an answer, but I understand I'm not going to get that...we certainly can't say for sure where other people will go. I asked about this because I know of a bishop who once said that "the person would be in hell."

6th Jan, 2005 - 1:46am / Post ID: #

international QUOTE
I asked about this because I know of a bishop who once said that "The person would be in hell."

Anything a leader says in the Church I always go to the scriptures and read what the Prophet have said about it concerning that issue, sometimes our leaders with their best intention, commit lots of mistakes… and its obvious, we are all humans. So just because this bishop have said that, it does not make it true, just as Elder Ballard says there are things we know and other things we do not know about suicide but one thing we know for sure: the Lord will not judge a person for the act itself… but all the cicumnstances mentioned before will be taken into consideration.

Post Date: 6th Jan, 2005 - 6:09am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Thank you LDS. I appreciate your opinion and I agree. I have always trusted my bishops, but I am learning maybe I better not.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
6th Jan, 2005 - 12:13pm / Post ID: #

Mormon Perspective Suicide

I think it is wise to trust your Bishop. It just isn't wise to think they are infallible. I believe you can trust them because they won't try to deceive you, but that doesn't mean they will always be right. The Bishop is entitled for inspiration for the Ward, but only your are entitled to inspiration for you personally. That is why we all receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. So, when your Bishop tells you something, you need to study it for yourself to see if it is true. Bishops also have opinions and personal adgendas.

I am confident the Lord doesn't judge and condemn us for just one act we might commit in our lives and ignore all others. Also, just as has already been said, we are judged by someone who has a complete understanding of the entire situation. Those of us in mortality don't have that same level of understanding, so how can we possibly judge anyone fairly?

6th Jan, 2005 - 9:41pm / Post ID: #

Mormon Perspective Suicide Mormon Doctrine Studies

international QUOTE
I have always trusted my bishops, but I am learning maybe I better not.

Well, I think it is important to trust your bishop… but just as Tena said, keep in mind that they are men and they commit mistakes like any of us *smile* I was glad to read Elder's Ballard talk about suicide because it gives a whole new perspective to the issue and gives hope to those families who have lost a loved one in that manner.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Mormon Perspective On Suicide

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,