Autism - Early Detection

Autism Early Detection - Culture, Family, Travel, Consumer Reviews - Posted: 1st Aug, 2006 - 12:47pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Post Date: 20th Jun, 2005 - 9:04am / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Autism - Early Detection

TOO YOUNG?: HOW EARLY CAN AUTISM BE DIAGNOSED?

When Pam Lyle's daughter Hailey was 13 months old, she suddenly lost her ability to speak and began retreating into her own world. Two months later, Lyle brought her to Yale University's Child Studies Center, where she got a diagnosis that is unusual for a child that young: autism.
Ref. Source

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 21st Jun, 2005 - 11:37am / Post ID: #

Autism - Early Detection
A Friend

Detection Early Autism

I understand the concerns of diagnosing children as young as 13 months. The last thing you want to do is misdiagnose something so big as autism. However, my brother was born with a form of autism, and my parents look back now and could tell before he was even a year old. I think it is harder, but entirely possible to diagnose kids that young. As we learn more and more about it, I think we will start diagnosing it earlier and earlier.

Post Date: 26th Aug, 2005 - 4:48pm / Post ID: #

Autism - Early Detection Reviews Consumer & Travel Family Culture

Autistic Boy Dies After Unproven Treatment

AP - An autistic boy died after receiving an unproven treatment that some people believe may cure the neurological and developmental disorder.
Ref. https://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...tic_boy_s_death

Post Date: 29th Oct, 2005 - 2:05pm / Post ID: #

Detection Early Autism

CHILDREN'S STUDY WILL BE FAR-REACHING

Sara and Douglas Christensen believe their youngest daughter Lillie's autism is likely genetic because they have a nephew who also has autism. They'd like to know for sure, but that would require the kind of study that has never before been conducted.
Ref. https://deseretnews.com/dn/view/1%2C3949%2C%2C00.html

2nd May, 2006 - 8:06pm / Post ID: #

Detection Early Autism

Our youngest son was diagnosed with having Autism when he was 2. (he is now 3)
Last year when he went back to the same hospital, we were told that he was misdiagnosed, and he isn't Autistic at all,although really helpfully, they have told us that he has got 'something' -- but they don't know what!
There is a real danger in 'misdiagnosing', what the hospitals don't understand is the full extent of the effects that this can have on a family.We are still trying to ascertain exactly what our son is suffering with.
I for one, would prefer to be told about a diagnosis, only when they are certain of its accuracy!

7th May, 2006 - 6:05am / Post ID: #

Autism - Early Detection

international QUOTE (DianeC @ 2-May 06, 3:06 PM)
Our youngest son was diagnosed with having Autism when he was 2. (he is now 3)
Last year when he went back to the same hospital, we were told that he was misdiagnosed, and he isn't Autistic at all,although really helpfully, they have told us that he has got 'something' -- but they don't know what!

But what do you tell people when they ask why your child is the way he is? My son is almost 5 and he still doesn't have a diagnosis. I've had people tell me that he has characteristics of Autism, but none of the doctors he has gone to will give me a definite answer. One told me he wasn't autistic, but wouldn't tell me what he was! All I want to know is what is wrong with my child? And what can I do about it? How can I get him the help he needs if I never get a diagnosis to get referrals to get him treatment?
Does anyone have any advice?
Angela

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
7th May, 2006 - 6:37pm / Post ID: #

Autism Early Detection

Hi Angela, sorry I can't give you much help and advice, as I am in the exact same situation as yourself!

I believe, that half the problem that you can't get a proper diagnosis, like ourselves, is that there is a whole multitude of disorders very similar to Autism, so it is hard to get a diagnosis.

It was explained to us from the hospital as-""Their is a whole spectrum of Autistic disorders under one umbrella"

Obviously this doesn't help much, one of the most frustrating things that I find, is that because unlike other disorders/illnesses/special needs,where there is a certain look to the illness, the child looks the same as any other child, so therefore gets labelled as 'naughty', either that or the parent gets labelled 'a bad parent'.

I have got 2 children with special needs, and I find the attitudes of some people to be totally ignorant at their lack of patience, and the presumption that the child is misbehaving.

One person even told me to try a certain playgroup for my children because "They take naughty children"-- and this advice came from a friend!

I find that I have to plan out the day exactly, with a back up plan in case things go wrong!
One of the things that I find to be misunderstood, is that there is no 'eye contact' made with children with one of these spectrum disorders, and when people talk to your child, and they don't even lift their heads up, people misunderstand this as the child being rude or ignorant.

I tend to try not to explain to people what 'the matter is' with my children, firstly it's not their business, and secondly, they don't understand anyway!
In certain circumstances, I have explained to people that my children have 'special needs' one of them being 'one of the autistic spectrum disorders'
I explained to my church, and they got people to volunteer to help out, so that I am not totally distracted in the service, this I have found to be very helpful.

I know exactly what you are going through, and I sympathize with you.
I only wish I could advise more, but if there is anything at all I can help you with, then please don't hesitate to ask!
Best wishes, Diane.

Post Date: 1st Aug, 2006 - 12:47pm / Post ID: #

Autism Early Detection Culture Family Travel & Consumer Reviews

INSIDE AUTISM

Autism. It's a word more often heard these days. But what autism actually is is probably less understood by the average person.
Ref. https://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/07/28/autis...view/index.html

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Autism - Early Detection

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,