Mormons, Marijuana & The Word Of Wisdom

Mormons Marijuana Word Wisdom - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 24th Jul, 2009 - 1:31pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (14) »
Mormons Smoking Pot
Controversial Mormon Issue
Post Date: 13th Apr, 2007 - 3:42am / Post ID: #

A Friend

We are all familiar with the word of wisdom and that it was created for our benefit, to keep us healthy both physically and spiritually. We should not take anything into our bodies that would cause us harm, such as drugs. Drugs prescribed by a doctor, however, to deal with health issues are considered ok because they are needed by some people to live and function normally. Someone taking medication or drugs prescribed by a doctor would not be considered breaking the word of wisdom.

We are also told in Doctrine and Covenants 89:10 that herbs are for the benefit of man.

Now, there is currently a sort of "Re-thinking" And debate on the dangers and benefits of marijuana by the medical community, primarily in dealing with pain and depression. My question is, if marijuana, which is an herb, is scientifically proven to be a safer and a more effective way of dealing with pain or depression or other illnesses than the synthetically created drugs that are currently being prescribed, do you think that it should be legally and morally ok to use for these reasons? Please note also that I am not referring to smoking it, as anyone knows smoking is never healthy, but ingesting as one would any other medication or herbal remedy.

I also wanted to add a personal disclaimer in that I have never used marijuana or wanted to, but this has been a topic of discussion between my friend who has been inactive for several years and suffers from a depressive disorder and has used marijuana and found it beneficial. I thought it was interesting and wanted to get the opinions of other faithful Latter-Day Saints. Thanks!

Sponsored Links:
13th Apr, 2007 - 12:09pm / Post ID: #

Wisdom Word and Marijuana Mormons

It is interesting you are asking whether is legally or morally ok to use it rather than if your friend would be somehow affected negatively by the use of this herb or whether he may be able to enjoy a Temple recommend in the near future when he becomes active again.

Anyhow, I personally think doctors do not have the answer for all things. As a matter of fact, one doctor can see you and diagnose you with A and another with B and even with the same diagnose two doctors may prescribe different medications. (I have a son with special needs so I am pretty familiar how doctors are in general).

In the case of your friend, I do not think is the case where the doctor say "You MUST take marijuana to help you with the depression, is the ONLY thing that will help you". Although I am sure your friend may feel better when he uses it, the drawbacks are many. If you make a search about it in web sites about depression you will find why is not very recommended.

But let's go back to the religious aspect since this is the LDS doctrine board and not the Health board wink.gif. We know how the Church and the Lord feels about drugs in general, and marijuana even though a herb is an addictive-type of herb where 150,000 people a year enter treatment for marijuana addiction, even though your friend does not smoke it he does not know really how is going to affect his health. (We have been counseled against things that have habit-forming ingredients) If he speaks to his Bishop, I am sure he would counsel him to try other drugs to treat his depression. There is hope.

There are literally hundreds of anti-depressants in the market today and I am sure he can find at least one that can help him without the need to use marijuana. By choosing to do this, he will not only feel good physically but also he won't have the need to wonder whether he is in good standing with the Church or not. All the best!

13th Apr, 2007 - 1:01pm / Post ID: #

Mormons, Marijuana & The Word Of Wisdom Studies Doctrine Mormon

If - and that's a big IF - marijuana in some form were to be approved by the FDA and the courts as legal, and it is scientifically proven to be helpful in some aspect, then the church would probably be okay with that. But even prescription meds are abused - and even by members of the church, I know at least one - so I don't see how making pot legal would prevent people from abusing it.

Aside from any addictive effects, if the "high" remains in any form of the drug, I don't see how it could ever be approved by the courts or by the church.

Rather off topic, but...
First of all, marijuana has to be the worst possible thing you could use for depression, in my opinion. I *have* used it in the past, and it deadens your brain, impairs your judgment, and affects your memory. In other words, it mimics some of the symptoms of depression; how is that helpful? Back when I was in high school, getting high on pot was often called "getting stupid." Very apt description. I think your friend is using pot as an excuse to stay "checked out" of the real world - which is very common for potheads. Maybe your encouragement to seek real help will get him on the right track.

Post Date: 19th Apr, 2007 - 6:53pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Thanks for the response. First of all, I would like to state that just because I did not mention concern for my friend's spiritual or temporal welfare does not mean it is not a concern of mine. In fact, it is for those very reasons that I am posting here. I am concerned for him very much and he has presented an argument before me concerning marijuana's medicinal use and the legalization of it for such use that I am finding difficulty countering. I had hoped to find some help/perspective here.

The points you both have brought up, I have mentioned to him.

1) "marijuana even though a herb is an addictive-type of herb where 150,000 people a year enter treatment for marijuana addiction...We have been counseled against things that have habit-forming ingredients."

The point that he has made to me is that the drugs prescribed by doctors to people dealing with depression and severe pain are HIGHLY addictive and chemically, are closely related to drugs like cocaine and meth, which are, by all current research, far more harmful and addictive than marijuana. I've also read studies that marijuana is primarily addictive in those that use is heavily, so would this apply to a controlled prescribed amount by a doctor?

2) "Aside from any addictive effects, if the "high" remains in any form of the drug, I don't see how it could ever be approved by the courts or by the church."

Again, all of the drugs currently prescribed for depression and pain create a "high" feeling. I know that when I was prescribed Percocet after having all four of my wisdom teeth surgically removed, it certainly made me feel "high", but Percocet is approved by the courts and the church as long as it is taken with a prescription and taken according to the prescribed amount.

3)Marijuana is not an effective way of dealing with depression.

Some drugs currently prescribed for depression have been found to be quite unhelpful and even increase depression symptoms rather than alleviate them. Each person reacts differently and what works for one might actually make depression worse for another. So does that mean that what doesn't work for one should not be an alternative for someone else? I have read many contradictory opinions and studies on marijuana's effectiveness for depression and I'm honestly not sure what to think.

So the question is, if these highly addictive, potentially harmful drugs are morally ok to take if prescribed by a doctor and taken in accordance to the doctor's prescribed amounts, should marijuana be a legally and morally acceptable alternative to these more potentially harmful and addictive drugs currently being prescribed?

19th Apr, 2007 - 7:09pm / Post ID: #

I am not sure if I really follow you here. It seems like you made your mind concerning the use of Marijuana for medical purposes already so I do not fully understand why you ask if is morally acceptable or not when you seem to put more emphasis on what normal medicine says concerning this drug than what the Church view about is currently. So I am not sure what do you really want to know?

This is simple. As long as Marijuana is illegal in the US, the Church won't approve its use, whether is "morally" wrong or not is irrelevant really. So your friend will have to decide whether marijuana is the ONLY option available for him (which as I mentioned before I HIGHLY doubt it) or use it but not able to hold a Temple Recommend or whatever restrictions the Bishop may want to place.

19th Apr, 2007 - 7:19pm / Post ID: #

Rather off topic, but...
First of all, we are going way off topic here, to discuss whether or not marijuana should be legalized or not. Probably the biggest reason that marijuana will never be legalized is that it cannot be controlled. Every person has the capability to "grow their own" at any time - and many, many people are already doing this. Making pot legal will not change this fact, and therefore because the pharma companies can't make any real money on it - except for somehow getting it into pill form for those who don't want to smoke it - I doubt it will ever be made legal.

The topic here is marijuana and the word of wisdom. Whether pot or any other substance is legal or not, as Latter-day Saints we are guided, not commanded, by this important scripture and by the words of our latter-day prophets.

Is the substance harmful in any way? Is it addictive? What is the true motivation for using it? Legal or not, church sanctioned or not, these questions need to be weighed by each of us before taking *anything* into our bodies. Your friend needs to decide this for himself, through prayer and fasting. However, he may not be open to this if his judgment is already clouded by inappropriate drug use.

As it stands right now, he's indulging in something that is illegal in most areas of the country. Personally, I think he's making excuses for himself. There are other, better ways to combat depression without breaking the law or the word of wisdom.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 24th Jul, 2009 - 12:56pm / Post ID: #

Mormons Marijuana & Word Wisdom

Name: Holly

Comments: I'm writing because I live in California and have a PRESCRIPTION for MEDICAL MARIJUANA. I have Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and chronic insomnia. I have had panic attacks and the marijuana helps. I can't sleep and the medical marijuana helps me sleep. I also see a therapist and psychiatrist regularly to help me deal with the root causes of my disorders. My LDS therapist has told me that she thinks medical marijuana is a great option for me as I have adverse reactions to many pill-form prescriptions. For example, I've used Ambien (to sleep) and the list of potential side effects is practically never- ending (including hallucinations, sleep walking/driving and even suicidal thoughts). I noticed many of you talked about how marijuana is illegal and I just wanted to clarify that my prescription is legal and valid in the state of California. I recognize that ANY prescription can be abused and potentially addictive, however, marijuana is significantly less dangerous than prescriptions I've used in the past. I think your friend's use of marijuana is legitimate as long as he has a prescription and uses it according to the law. He should see a therapist to help him deal with the root causes of his depression. I agree with him that marijuana may be his best option. Many anti-depressants can actually make depression worsen. If this medication is working, why switch? I don't think the church would have any issue with this prescription - I can't remember ever being asked by my bishop about my medical record -- that's between me and my doctor and God.

24th Jul, 2009 - 1:31pm / Post ID: #

Mormons Marijuana & Word Wisdom Mormon Doctrine Studies

QUOTE (JoePublic @ 24-Jul 09, 12:56 PM)
Name: Holly

I noticed many of you talked about how marijuana is illegal and I just wanted to clarify that my prescription is legal and valid in the state of California. I recognize that ANY prescription can be abused and potentially addictive, however, marijuana is significantly less dangerous than prescriptions I've used in the past. I think your friend's use of marijuana is legitimate as long as he has a prescription and uses it according to the law.

Sorry to hear about your medical issues but lets be straight....so because is legal in cali makes it acceptable in your mind? Abortion is legal there as well so members get abortions just because its legal? Like someone said the legality isnt the issue here.

I don't think the church would have any issue with this prescription - I can't remember ever being asked by my bishop about my medical record  -- that's between me and my doctor and God.

Well you never brought it up to your priesthood leaders maybe you should and see whether your local leaders approve or not of your use of marijuana.

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (14) »

> TOPIC: Mormons, Marijuana & The Word Of Wisdom

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,