D&D 5th Edition Magic Items

D 5th Edition Magic Items - Board, Card, RPG Reviews - Posted: 25th Dec, 2016 - 10:42pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

29th April 2024's Text Adventure:
Choose Your Medieval Fantasy Character:

Rogue
Rogue
Ranger
Ranger
Paladin
Paladin
Cleric
Cleric
Barbarian
Barbarian
Fighter
Fighter
Draconian
Draconian
Wizard
Wizard
Warlock
Warlock

Dungeons & Dragons Magic Items Dungeons and Dragons
Post Date: 21st Dec, 2016 - 10:30am / Post ID: #

A Friend

5e D & D has made a big change with magic items. In the past magic items were much more common and characters had many of them. In the new edition they are much more uncommon. What is your opinion of it? Do you prefer 5th edition with magic items being much rarer or 3.5 D & D where they are very much available for your characters?

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 21st Dec, 2016 - 2:11pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Items Magic Edition th Dragons and Dungeons

That doesn't bother me either way. I mean, I don't fully agree with it, but that's a setting detail that can be changed. I've always been one to tweak how available things are as needed. In Pathfinder, I made things more rare than the default, In 5E, I made them less so, neither takes a great deal of effort

What actually bother's me about 5E's magic item list is the limited quantity of items available, and the zilch support for the ability for PCs to create magic items.

The first can be fixed easily enough, there are third party sources for such items, and I'm not above working in homebrew items of my own so long as we're talking about only a few.

The latter is more problematic to fix, as finding a realistic ruleset that allows PCs to create items without messing with balance is quite difficult.

Reconcile Edited: daishain on 21st Dec, 2016 - 2:17pm

Post Date: 21st Dec, 2016 - 4:31pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

D&D 5th Edition Magic Items Reviews RPG & Card Board

I know many people enjoy getting a magical item that allows them to strike at the monsters easier and with more damage. I did play a campaign in a world where magical items where very few and far between and where you did not have mages. It was a interesting campaign but one that we were able to grow and still be the heroes we all wanted to be. I think my character was 10th level when he found a +1 item. It did not help a whole lot but it did help some.

My point is that I am good with or without magical items. I can play either way and enjoy the game. Yes magical items do help at times but if the campaign is low on magic then find a way to go with the flow and you can still gain fame and fortune.

Post Date: 25th Dec, 2016 - 10:42pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Items Magic Edition th Dragons and Dungeons

I like it either way as well. I prefer 5e magic items as set up. The rarity of finding magic items in 5e makes you appreciate them more. They are something of consequence. In 3.5 they are everywhere. It seems like they have factories of slaves churning out magic items for 3.5. Most of my favorite fantasy series don't have many magic items but the ones that are available are special. In The Wheel of Time there are basically no magic weapons in it. There are devices that help people channel magic etc but not really any magic weapons. I should rephrase that. The magic weapons they have only have benefits such as never needing sharpening or never breaking. Just my opinion. I do enjoy 3.5 and know that everyone prefers different levels of magic in game.

Reconcile Edited: Kyrroeth on 25th Dec, 2016 - 10:46pm

> TOPIC: D&D 5th Edition Magic Items

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,