Fighter
Fighter
Wizard
Wizard

+  1 2 
Discuss  Games Workshop
8th Aug, 2017 - 12:58am / Post ID: #

Games Workshop

Games Workshop is a long standing name in the Role-playing Game business but it seems they are being sued now for millions basically for trying to create a monopoly that doesn't make selling their products competitive unless its from them. Do you think the plaintiff has a case?

Image from Wikimedia public domain.

Games Workshop
Games Workshop (Hover)

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 8th Aug, 2017 - 1:01am / Post ID: #

Games Workshop
A Friend

Workshop Games

Isn't what they sell specifically designed for their games? They should have the ability to tailor their products so that their other products mesh the best. If other companies can't keep up with them, well then go and develop your own game with a following like Warhammer. No, I think this is a frivolous suit.

8th Aug, 2017 - 1:08am / Post ID: #

Games Workshop Reviews RPG & Card Board

The law suit alleges that Games Workshop distrubtes their games for resale to local shops but then dictates how many, when and where their games can be sold so that customers essentially feel obliged to go back to them as the manufacture for the game rather than the retailer.

Post Date: 8th Aug, 2017 - 1:14am / Post ID: #

Games Workshop
A Friend

Workshop Games

But again, isn't it their product? Don't Ford, GM, and Chrysler do the same thing when they send their cars to dealerships? How about iPhones and Macs? You can get them at many places but they are easier to buy from an Apple store and you get better support if you buy from there. Isn't that similar?

8th Aug, 2017 - 1:21am / Post ID: #

Workshop Games

It is their product but what is the contract like for selling it? For instance, imagine I have a game shop and my customers are waiting to buy a game you produce. You agree to supply me with the game, so I buy it from you to sell my customers and then you do everything possible to make sure my customers dislike buying from me as a retailer so you, as the manufacturer can sell it directly. The question is… why sell to the retailer if you know that's what you want to do? This, according to the lawsuit, is basically trying to have a product and use retailers as an avenue to get their products out there or in other words get the customers that would otherwise go to the retailers. From the retailers perspective, if you want to do business like that then they should not invest time and money in your product as you are not clear on its distribution.

Post Date: 8th Aug, 2017 - 1:28am / Post ID: #

Games Workshop
A Friend

Games Workshop

Okay, then as a retailer I won't buy your product and I won't sell it. Isn't it up to the retailer to decide whether they stock GDW products? If GDW is doing this then just don't buy their products if you are a retail outlet. But in truth, I used to play GDW games and I don't remember that it was easier or better to buy directly from GDW. Admittedly, that was a long time ago and things could have changed.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
8th Aug, 2017 - 1:44am / Post ID: #

Games Workshop

Therein is the question, what's the contract like? Remember, RPGs are a niche and if someone wants to sell games of this nature its kind of odd not to sell a brand from Games Workshop. That's like a shoe store saying they do not carry Nike or Addidas or other top brands - they may not be in business for too long.

You may say to the retailer then don't open an Role-playing Game shop then, well that is where the monopoly angle comes in. Its an interesting debate, I am neither for or against Games Workshop or the plaintiff, I am merely looking at it from both sides as you have covered the obvious take Games Workshop has which is true - it is their product.

Post Date: 8th Aug, 2017 - 1:54am / Post ID: #

Games Workshop
A Friend

Games Workshop Board Card & RPG Reviews

I see your point and I understand the contract… but I can't believe that with all the diversity of games available if a store doesn't carry GDW products they'll go out of business. It's vastly different in that respect form sneakers. There are two definite top brands and then another four or five that are close. But for gems there are so many different kinds. There is Dungeons & Dragons, GURPS, Pendragon, Superheroes, etc. RPGs. There are Collectible Card Games. There are Comics based games. There are board games Role-playing Games. There are computer Role-playing Games. I just don't see how this has merit. They are assuming that without GDW they can't be competitive and I don't see it.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Games Workshop

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,