Caribbean Houses vs North American Houses

Caribbean Houses North American Houses - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 28th Nov, 2017 - 4:03pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Top  Caribbean Houses vs North American Houses
19th Sep, 2017 - 1:28pm / Post ID: #

Sometime ago when hurricane Irma was ravishing the islands some ignorant guy in the USA tweeted that North Americans should not worry about hurricanes and their destruction that the media is showing from the islands because the islands are third world countries with sub par buildings.

I am only now getting chance to address this. Having lived in both North America and the Caribbean and witnessing how construction of a typical house is done in both I can tell you that Caribbean houses are 10 times stronger than the North American counterparts. In the Caribbean it is typical to build a house from bottom to top with only metal and concrete. It is laughable for anyone to create a house out of frame wood and drywall like they do in the USA - no one here does this. In fact, if someone were to build using wood they would be considered destitute / very poor since most times they would be using scraps and galvanize sheets. Historically, Caribbean houses were built out of wood during colonial times (Chattel house), that was way back when just like the Wild West did the same - we are no longer in those days.

The only exception to strong houses in the USA is where North Americans build with solid clay blocks / prefab out of concrete / steel, but since this is expensive it is not as common. Additionally, the USA uses wood for floors where as we use pure concrete reinforced with steel. Therefore, I will like to tell that ignorant Tweeter that what you are seeing in the media is a hurricane attacking solid concrete reinforced with metal - not wood, not dry walls. Hurricanes are dangerous and as everyone is seeing we must humble ourselves when Mother Nature comes around because she is all powerful on this planet and first world nation status means nothing to her.

Image Gallery: Caribbean Houses

Caribbean Houses vs North American Houses (Hover)

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 3211 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 19th Sep, 2017 - 1:42pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Houses American North Houses Caribbean

Spot on regarding Mother Nature. I have often said we, humanity, think we are all powerful. What hogwash. The power released in Irma was great than all the nuclear arsenals combined. An earthquake or a volcano is the same. We are so vain and egotistical as a species we forgot how powerful nature can be.

And that person who tweeted his ignorance is a perfect example. Humanity is vain and egotistical and each society with humanity is vain and egotistical, thinking they are best. And from what I see it's getting worse. They call this civilization.

21st Sep, 2017 - 12:52am / Post ID: #

Caribbean Houses vs North American Houses History & Civil Business Politics

Just on Monday I was mentioning to a coworker that concrete is common where these storms hit and face the same snide attitude. (My friend moved here from Trinidad which is how I found out.)

I have often pondered why Florida never adopted similar structures. Also places where Tornado often hit would benefit as well. Again same old thing ... Put it in a test tube give it a shake what comes out ... Money! Just love greed.

International Level: Senior Politician / Political Participation: 188 ActivistPoliticianSenior Politician 18.8%

Post Date: 21st Sep, 2017 - 1:32am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Yes concrete reinforced building can help one stand up to hurricanes. But Some times this will not help you in a tornado. I have seen concrete building destroyed in a tornado. With some seriously strong tornadoes, EF4 or EF5, can destroy anything in its path. I think someone has made a concrete reinforced building that is hurricane and tornado resistant. I will never say proof as I think there is no such thing. The design is based on a circular home thus not allowing the high strong winds a chance to gain a purchase on the home. I think it has been successfully tested in a Hurricane but not in a tornado.

Post Date: 28th Nov, 2017 - 4:03pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Identifying optimal adaptation of buildings threatened by hurricanes, climate change. The need for adaptation strategies to reduce the threat of hurricanes to society is of critical importance, as evidenced by the recent damage to coastal regions in the U.S. And the Caribbean this past year. The fact that the number of residential buildings in coastal areas has increased significantly combined with the increasing risks of impacts of due climate change means that the cost of damage to coastal developments are likely to continue to rise. Source 3t.

> TOPIC: Caribbean Houses vs North American Houses

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,