Handcuffed: Adhd vs Discipline

Handcuffed Adhd Discipline - Psychology, Special Needs, Health - Posted: 30th Sep, 2021 - 8:12pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Video Available What are your thoughts about restraining young children with handcuffs.
18th Oct, 2017 - 5:54pm / Post ID: #

This inncident happened some years ago but it is worth discussing now. The officer handcuffed the child due what the officer describes as "You don't get to swing at me like that". The child has special needs and the police was obviously called in because of his behavior but does it reflect badly on:

A. The school calling the police

B. Bad parenting

C. The way the deputy handled the situation

D. The child

E. The education system in general for not catering for special needs children

What is your view?

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 18th Oct, 2017 - 6:07pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Discipline Adhd Handcuffed

Absolutely NOT! This is about as far from proper handling of a situation as you can get! The teachers knew of his condition and issues, and were obviously ill equipped to find ways to handle his outburst, but calling in an officer who knew even less than the teachers was utterly irresponsible. We are not talking about a teen-aged child who is coming into his grown and strength - we are talking about dealing with a young child who has serious issues. I have a child with comparably mild ADHD, and there are plenty of frustrations and incidents I can mention that required my wife and I as parents to get creative. Medicine was a poor solution and had it's own issues, including suicidal depression and self-harm, but we came up with ways and means he could control his emotional storms that helped him handle it. If the teachers could not contact the parents, then there should have been a teacher trained in handling such behaviour and properly secluded or isolated the child in safety. The way the officer dealt with him is almost as bad as if he had struck him. Unbelievable.

Post Date: 18th Oct, 2017 - 6:11pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Handcuffed: Adhd vs Discipline Health & Special Psychology

While I have two sets of handcuffs that I have used on a regular basis I have yet to handcuff a child for acting out against me as a officer. Yes my kids would lock themselves up in my handcuffs now and then I would just unlock them and let them out. I had no issue with my kids playing with my hand cuffs. Even the special needs kids.
I know that every situation is different and most of the time I dealt with a violent child I would be on one knee talking to them. Most of the violent children I did deal with were not acting out due to me being a police officer but some other stimulus. I would talk to the child and get them to calm down. And soon all would be good. While I never have been called to a elementary school of a child acting or even a middle school I can understand some of the schools frustrations. Knowing what the child is going through at home can be a key part of why they are acting out.
I believe this has a lot to do with the parents and the home life the child must have been in. If I was the responding officer to this call I doubt I would be placing this child in cuffs. I think the school and the parents need to have a sit down and discuss his actions and work on finding a solution to them. Hand cuffing a child is not the answer. Even if they are trying to punch, hit, kick or bite you.

18th Oct, 2017 - 7:25pm / Post ID: #

I don't have words to describe what this police officer did. The child is clearly traumatized by the whole incident. Did anyone notice how VERY TIGHT those handcuffs were?. They were hurting him badly!. You NEVER hand cuff a child, special needs or not!

30th Sep, 2021 - 8:12pm / Post ID: #

It was wrong of the cop to use his cuffs to control the kid. You don't treat anybody like that.Disabled or not you treat them with respect. They need to have a meeting with the school and help him. Handcuffing a child is not the way to go.The police was wrong to do that. They should have sat down with the kid and explain wat hee did wrong.

> TOPIC: Handcuffed: Adhd vs Discipline

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,