Anti-smoking Ads On Cigarette Packs?

Anti-smoking Ads Cigarette Packs - Psychology, Special Needs, Health - Posted: 13th Jul, 2004 - 3:04am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
12th Jul, 2004 - 1:49am / Post ID: #

ref: https://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2004-0...oking-ads_x.htm

New cigarette packaging is now including pictures of smoky lungs and tar-filled teeth in an effort to curb smokers from purchasing the products. Take a look at the above link for an example of a picture that has been placed on cigarette packs in Singapore as part of this campaign. I am all for the laws that tax cigarette purchases heavily and also the laws which ban smoking in public places, but is this type of anti-smoking campaign going a bit too far?

Sponsored Links:
12th Jul, 2004 - 2:09am / Post ID: #

Packs Cigarette Ads Anti-smoking

but is this type of anti-smoking campaign going a bit too far?

I don't think so, I think we should use those methods and more to prevent people from smoking, you see most smokers do not realize that they are not only 'killing' themselves but they are affecting the non-smokers who have to breath all that smoke and get sick because even though people do not realise it, you can get lung cancer because of it. I just cannot stand the smell of cigarrete and I can smell it from far away, I feel I cannot breath, it is awful.

12th Jul, 2004 - 7:01pm / Post ID: #

Anti-smoking Ads On Cigarette Packs? Health & Special Psychology

That's the answer I wanted to hear LDS because I feel the same way. I was just throwing the question out there to see if anyone would agree that anti-smoking campaigns have gone too far. In my opinion, until the cigarette pack emits a light electric shock every 2 seconds, it hasnt gone far enough. Not intending to offend the smoking population out there, but that is my honest opinion.

12th Jul, 2004 - 10:02pm / Post ID: #

I am of a different opinion. In the states, it would be hard to argue that smokers aren't aware of the dangers of smoking to themselves as well as to others around them. It makes little difference. Once a person is addicted to the stuff, that is what controls it. I don't think pictures on cigarette packs is the answer. Get to them before they buy the stuff. If they are buying it, they are already hooked. I do believe education is important, but I think putting it on a cigarette pack is probably a waste of money. Although, in under developed countries where many people are not very well educated, it might help. I don't think it will make a difference in the US or in Europe for example.

I think they should be made illegal. We know they kill. Not only do the kill those who chose to smoke (which I think is their individual right), but it also affects innocent people around them. I don't think you have the right to put someone else's health in danger. Why are they still legal? Because the tobacco industry has a powerful lobby.

Many laws in the US are now banning public smoking. US tobacco companies are now targeting other countries that don't have such strict laws.

Post Date: 13th Jul, 2004 - 12:57am / Post ID: #

A Friend

QUOTE (tenaheff @ 12-Jul 04, 3:02 PM)
Why are they still legal? Because the tobacco industry has a powerful lobby.

And also because of the massive amount of money that is made off of the taxes!
Do you think the Federal and State Governments want to give up that money?

I quit smoking 6 years ago. A carton of cigs cost me $16.95 for Misty's. I just saw in the store last week where they are now almost $50.00 a carton!!! They are being taxed to the nth degree, but it isn't stopping the people from buying them. Like Tena said it is an addiction. I know, I was addicted! Education at a very young age and then reinforced constantly until death ~ is part of the answer.

I also agree with Tena that they should be made illegal. Along with alcohol. That too is addictive ~ but that is going off topic.

In my opinion of course.
Arna

13th Jul, 2004 - 2:17am / Post ID: #

I'm not sure if making cigarettes illegal would solve the problem here. It would just add to the underworld market of items that can be sold at a high price just like current illegal drugs. I do agree that marketing on cigarette packs may not be as effective as it is in other countries, but how would you like to be the person walking down the street, pulling out a pack of cigarettes which has a huge picture of someone's lungs that has deteriorated from smoking? There has to be some embarassment factor there, if anything. I did read that there are companies that sell labels that one can affix to a cigarette pack that blocks such ads, and that type of activity should be banned as well.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
13th Jul, 2004 - 2:17am / Post ID: #

Anti-smoking Ads Cigarette Packs

I have a somewhat different opinion.

(Have you ever read "Atlas Shrugged"?)

To have the Government force a business to display adverse advertising or other sales-discouraging material on the very package used to sell that business's goods, is absurd. That is Government at its worst, the kind we don't want to have.

It's like the telephone companies who are forced by the Government to print on their own invoices, to current customers, the names and phone numbers of competing long distance carriers.

Having said that, I don't like smoking. I quit a year ago after smoking most of my life (started at 11 years old, quit for 5 years during first marriage, started again at age 26/27 and quit at age 43.... most of my life!!). I think tobacco smoking, chewing, and snuffing is a horrible habit; it kills, maims, and disfigures.

But Government should not force a business to discourage its own sales. That's defeating the purpose of being in business.

In my not-so-humble opinion, of course.
Roz

Post Date: 13th Jul, 2004 - 3:04am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Anti-smoking Ads Cigarette Packs Psychology Special & Health

QUOTE (malexander @ 12-Jul 04, 7:17 PM)
but how would you like to be the person walking down the street, pulling out a pack of cigarettes which has a huge picture of someone's lungs that has deteriorated from smoking? There has to be some embarassment factor there,

That is what cigarette pack holders are for ~ covers up the pack, also holds the matches, lighter, money. They are like little purses. The warning on the sides of the pack stating: The Surgeon General says that smoking is bad for you health, blah,blah,blah ~ sure doesn't stop anyone. Nor does it embarrass a smoker. What used to embarrass me when I smoked was when I had to buy the real cheap brands of cigarettes. That is why I used a pack holder. [I know that isn't the name, I just can not remember what they are called!]

One other thing that I have noticed is that more Asians chain smoke. There is a Chinese restaurant in town that I flat will not go to. Every person who works there [it is an Asian family] all chain smoke. They have cigarettes hanging out of their mouths as they are cooking and dishing up the food!

In Seattle and Portland I see more Asians chain smoking as they are walking around and when waiting for the busses. So it doesn't surprise me to see that they are putting those kinds of pictures on their packs of cigarettes.

But an addict is not going to let warnings and pictures on the packs or cartons stop them from using.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Anti-smoking Ads On Cigarette Packs?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,