After School Activities For The Overweight

After School Activities Overweight - Movies, Music, Fashion, Sports - Posted: 20th Aug, 2008 - 3:58pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Post Date: 18th Aug, 2008 - 10:52pm / Post ID: #

After school activities for the overweight

Research and studies show that our children are growing fater by the day. Many families all over America are struggling to keep the weight of their children within reasonable limits. As a parent, I know that it's nearly impossible for me to look into the tear-filled eyes of my son and refuse food. So, what's the alternative? Studies show that the number one reason for obesity in children is not junk food and colas. It's actually TV.

Children tend to plop themselves on the sofa and munch away happily when they are in front of the TV sets. But, once the set is off, their natural buoyancy will lead the children to do stuff and to move their body. THey will then be diverted from eating. Recreational after school activities are a must if you feel that your child is beginning to put on undesirable fat. It is better to begin these activities as early as possible. The more weight the child gains, the harder he has to work to shed it. Football, swimming, skating and Karate are just some activities he can participate in. Structured and disciplined exercise is possible only when one is put into a formal environment. That is why an overweight child simply HAS to be put into an after school program of this kind.

Sponsored Links:
19th Aug, 2008 - 5:04am / Post ID: #

Overweight The Activities School After

A child will be more successful in any after school activity if it is something they have an interest in. If the child has a say in choosing the activity they are more likely to stick with it and enjoy participating. This way they will be more successful and, if there is a weight problem, an added benefit will be the weight loss. Forcing a child into a program they do not enjoy is setting them up for failure.

Post Date: 19th Aug, 2008 - 2:10pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

After School Activities For The Overweight Sports & Fashion Music Movies

Having a couple of over weight children we are leading by example. While one is in a activity that will help him lose some weight. It is our belief that most children do as they see their parents do. IF we just sit around the house and do nothing then they are more likely to do the same. If we get out and are active then we find that our kids are more active. My wife and I have been getting more active to help our kids get more active to promote both our health and theirs.

19th Aug, 2008 - 2:41pm / Post ID: #

I agree with you Klar that as parents we must lea by example. I am not one to condemn any for obesity as I have fought with it all my life but I am active just dietary changes have helped. We teach our children food nutrition and try to get them active 3 to 4 hours daily as the need it. I think it is working as both are solid and have great energy levels they keep going when others stop.

It is very hard to do when their friends are all inside watching tv or gaming on hotter days, rainy days, slightly cool days, well any day but a perfect day. We do it buy playing with them if no other are about and helps us get mobile as well.

Oh and remember it is summer tv or videos are only for rainy days or after dark. We limit all this to 1 or 2 hours max per day. Remember gardening children can do it also after all not all people can afford or be there to pick children up from an after school program.

Post Date: 20th Aug, 2008 - 12:26pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

That is why an overweight child simply HAS to be put into an after school program of this kind.

It is this quote from the article that I have a problem with. I believe that many can not afford after school programs or their child does not want to be forced into a after school program. This is why I stated it is the parents responsibility to lead by example.

I know there are a lot of nice after school programs that are designed to get kids more active and in better shape. The problem is paying for those programs. The local, state nor the federal government pay for this so it lands on the schools or the parents. I believe a lot of the programs would do better if they had other funding from the state or federal government.

20th Aug, 2008 - 3:45pm / Post ID: #

Federal funding would be great but even better make it part of the regular curriculum in school. Tons of active fun games can be played that are not going to make the heaver kids feel too far out of place and a few like red rover would be their advantage.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 20th Aug, 2008 - 3:50pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

After School Activities The Overweight

Red rover will work great for the elementary level. Now what about the higher grades like middle schoolers or even high school aged kids. Once kids reach their teens they feel they are too old for some of what they consider childish games. smile.gif

20th Aug, 2008 - 3:58pm / Post ID: #

After School Activities The Overweight Movies Music Fashion & Sports

Perhaps if they played some childish game in upper schools they might learn not to take life too serious. Freeze tag any one? Teens are the hardest as they have set their path already and it can be hard to force them out. Perhaps nature trips would be a nice alternative for the less sport minded.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: After School Activities For The Overweight

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,