Break-up Of The Arctic

Break-up Arctic - Sciences, Education, Art, Writing, UFO - Posted: 24th Mar, 2018 - 2:08pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Global warming effects on the earth's ice regions
Post Date: 25th May, 2008 - 2:17am / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Break-up Of The Arctic

Vast cracks appear in Arctic ice

A Canadian research expedition finds dramatic evidence of the break-up of the Arctic ice-cap.
Ref. Source 1h

Sponsored Links:
27th Jun, 2008 - 10:01am / Post ID: #

Arctic The Break-up

It is amazing that this is happening so soon. In the article they are talking where they thought it would happen in maybe 2050 or 2100 but not this soon. Seems as if there is no getting it back, my grandchilren will not have the same North Pole as we do now.

(CNN) -- The North Pole may be briefly ice-free by September as global warming melts away Arctic sea ice, according to scientists from the National Snow and Ice Data Center in Boulder, Colorado.

Scientists say it's a 50-50 bet that the thin Arctic sea ice will completely melt away at the geographic North Pole.

It's a 50-50 bet that the thin Arctic sea ice, which was frozen last autumn, will completely melt away at the geographic North Pole, Serreze said.

The ice retreated to a record level in September when the Northwest Passage -- the sea route through the Arctic Ocean -- opened up briefly for the first time in recorded history.

"What we've seen through the past few decades is the Arctic sea ice cover is becoming thinner and thinner as the system warms up," Serreze said.

Specific weather patterns will determine whether the North Pole's ice cover melts completely this summer, he said.

"From the viewpoint of the science, the North Pole is just another point in the globe, but it does have this symbolic meaning," Serreze said. "There's supposed to be ice at the North Pole. The fact that we may not have any by the end of this summer could be quite a symbolic change."

Serreze said it's "just another indicator of the disappearing Arctic sea ice cover" but that it is happening so soon is "just astounding to me."

"Five years ago, to think that we'd even be talking about the possibility of the North Pole melting out in the summer, I would have never thought it," he said.

"It's not cyclical at this point. I think we understand the physics behind this pretty well," he said. "We've known for at least 30 years, from our earliest climate models, that it's the Arctic where we'd see the first signs of global warming.

"It's a situation where we hate to say we told you so, but we told you so," he said.

Serreze said the Arctic sea ice will not be the same for decades.

"If we had a few cold years in a row, we could put sort of a temporary damper on it, but I think at this point going to an ice-free Arctic Ocean is inevitable," he said. "I don't think we can stop that now."

Post Date: 27th Jun, 2008 - 5:18pm / Post ID: #

Break-up Of The Arctic
A Friend

Break-up Of The Arctic UFO & Writing Art Education Sciences

Now this makes me wonder how long can santa and the elves tread water? I thought my area was flooded badly I wonder about their workshop and homes? Do they have a emergency plan to "float" their buildings in case of the ice melting away? I sure hope so.

It is this ice melting at a alarming rate that is putting the polar bears on the endangered species list. The polar bear can not find enough food on the open water. I believe the polar bears are going to end up coming into towns and other human occupied areas where they are not going to be welcomed with open arms.

27th Jun, 2008 - 8:00pm / Post ID: #

Arctic The Break-up

It is not just the polar bears. There are seals and walruses that depend upon the polar ice also.
As for the polar bears, they have always wandered through the villages. People just know not to just go out alone without paying attention during the dark winters. It can become quite the dangerous situation. Barrow is the largest town up there, if you don't count the oil fields. You hear of polar bears in town every now and then.

28th Jun, 2008 - 5:12am / Post ID: #

Arctic The Break-up

yes the bears will certainly become more aggressive in their food search. Given the polar bear is one and only bear known to actively hunt man when hungry we are in for some bad news.

I think we better think how far down the road humans are till extinction, due to the extreme weather change. One time it did not matter but since the creation of central American separating the mix of the Atlantic and pacific ocean this will end bad for us.

Post Date: 28th Jun, 2008 - 2:45pm / Post ID: #

Break-up Of The Arctic
A Friend

Break-up Of The Arctic

Well the nice thing about humans is the fact they are very adaptable. If we can live for an extended time down on antartica we are proving that we can adapt. I just hope that if we cause another ice age real soon that enough people survive long enough to learn from some of the mistakes.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 6th Nov, 2017 - 12:39am / Post ID: #

Break-up The Arctic

A Voyage to Antarctica. Parts of Antarctica are warming faster than anywhere else on the planet. Al Jazeera travelled to Antarctica with a team of scientists wanting to know how this will affect the region, its abundant wildlife and the rest of the world. Source 5s.

Post Date: 24th Mar, 2018 - 2:08pm / Post ID: #

Break-up The Arctic Sciences Education Art Writing & UFO

Arctic wintertime sea ice extent is among lowest on record. Sea ice in the Arctic grew to its annual maximum extent last week, and joined 2015, 2016 and 2017 as the four lowest maximum extents on record, according to scientists. Source 6j.

> TOPIC: Break-up Of The Arctic

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,