Antidepressants In Pregnancy

Antidepressants Pregnancy - Culture, Family, Travel, Consumer Reviews - Posted: 26th Nov, 2006 - 12:06am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Post Date: 9th Feb, 2006 - 12:44pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

ANTIDEPRESSANTS in Pregnancy

ANTIDEPRESSANT USE DURING PREGNANCY INCREASES RISK TO INFANTS: STUDY

About one in 100 babies born to mothers taking certain types of antidepressants may develop an uncommon respiratory condition, researchers say.
Ref. https://www.cbc.ca/story/science/national/2...ancy060208.html

Sponsored Links:
10th Feb, 2006 - 8:59pm / Post ID: #

Pregnancy Antidepressants

Women who are taking the antidepressants are advised to check with their doctor before stopping the medication. Sudden withdrawal can be more dangerous than the relatively low risk of the lung condition. Untreated depression during pregnancy can also be a problem. It's estimated that 10 per cent of pregnant women suffer from clinical depression.

I think this paragraph sums it up best. A lot of women who are pregnant do suffer from depression, and taking them off the medication can possibly do more harm than good. It's a catch-22 situation where you have to weigh the risk of the baby developing a lung condition, or the mother becoming severely depressed to the point of not being able to care for her baby. The latter seems to be more of a risk, because the mother can become not only a threat to her baby, but to herself.

12th Jul, 2006 - 7:45pm / Post ID: #

Antidepressants In Pregnancy Reviews Consumer & Travel Family Culture

I don't think in the UK, that a pregnant woman would be allowed to have antidepressants, Doctors over here are very wary at even prescribing the mildest of medications, but would rather have more frequent house visits to the mother to be, then when the baby is born, and it only affects the mother, look at prescribing antidepressants.

There are all sorts of complications to any medication whilst pregnant, but more so with antidepressants as the strength required for them to actually work makes them a danger to an unborn child. Just my thoughts though.

13th Jul, 2006 - 1:19am / Post ID: #

The current US fad/epidemic of anti-depressant use for every malady under the sun is the problem, in my view. If there weren't so many women taking anti-depressants, this wouldn't even be an issue. I think doctors need to snap out of it and stop prescribing pills for people who might just be going through a rough time, and aren't truly depressed. In any event, a woman who discovers she's pregnant while taking these meds can slowly decrease the dosage to wean herself from the drug, if she's really concerned about her baby's health.

What other effects to the child have yet to be discovered?

All in my opinion, of course.
Roz

Post Date: 25th Nov, 2006 - 9:01am / Post ID: #

A Friend

I have been taking antidepressants since I was 14... When I got pregnant, I stopped taking them although my doctor said that they were completely safe. I didn't like the fact that my little baby was taking all of those chemicals in. If you NEED antidepressants, and the doctor says it's safe, then go with it. I mean after all, your doctor knows best, right?! It's really a personal decision.

25th Nov, 2006 - 12:34pm / Post ID: #

I have been taking antidepressants since I was 14... When I got pregnant, I stopped taking them although my doctor said that they were completely safe

And how are you coping without them? Maybe during these 9 months you can stop taking them for good if you see that your body & mind can function without them. smile.gif

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 25th Nov, 2006 - 5:02pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Antidepressants Pregnancy

I have ran into no problems at all since I stopped taking them... I feel happy and healthy and I don't sleep as much! Honestly, I don't think I needed them in the beginning, but my foster parents thought otherwise. undecided.gif

26th Nov, 2006 - 12:06am / Post ID: #

Antidepressants Pregnancy Culture Family Travel & Consumer Reviews

I don't think I needed them in the beginning, but my foster parents thought otherwise

Sorry to hear that. So you have become somehow addicted to them? Sorry if the question is too personal, you do not have to answer. I just wonder how some doctors can say is safe during pregnancy when lots of meds affect the baby. I am glad you are coping well without them. wink.gif

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Antidepressants In Pregnancy

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,