Michael Savage Calls Autism A "fraud"

Michael Savage Calls Autism Fraud - Psychology, Special Needs, Health - Posted: 27th Aug, 2008 - 12:41am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
And autistic children "idiots" "brats" and "morons"
26th Aug, 2008 - 2:08am / Post ID: #

When I hear this, I was very angry. Can anyone be more ignorant than this man? It's truly disgusting what he says. Hear for yourself and post your opinion.

Source 9

Sponsored Links:
26th Aug, 2008 - 3:03am / Post ID: #

quotfraudquot Autism Calls Savage Michael

Well, let us not forget his last name that he has to live up to: Savage.

Post Date: 26th Aug, 2008 - 6:20pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Michael Savage Calls Autism A "fraud" Health & Special Psychology

I think to even suggest that a syndrome as largely diagnosed as Autism is, that it is a fraud indicates to me that this man must have been living under a rock some place other then in the real world. Children with Autism are not brats (not any more then any other children) but differently able individuals with special needs that NEED to be addressed.

Reconcile Message Edited...
JB: Please, no line breaks

Post Date: 26th Aug, 2008 - 6:37pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

This guy makes me hope that someday he has a child that is Autisic or one of his close relatives have a autisic child. I wonder if he will change his tune then.

It is very clear to me that this guy has no idea about this subject matter and by no means a expert on it. I take his words as some person just spouting out.

Post Date: 26th Aug, 2008 - 6:58pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

I have a son who is on the Autism Spectrum with PDD-NOS. I know first hand what some of these children are like, or atleast what MY child is like. Is he a brat? You bet, at times a big one. He also has a legitimate diagnosis. Unless you live with and care for a child with one of these disabilities judgement should be saved about what kind of kids they are or what kind of parents are raising them.

26th Aug, 2008 - 11:15pm / Post ID: #

Here is some possible context to what Michael Savage has said concerning Autism.

Source 1

While I do not agree with Michael Savage on this, he may have some good points about misdiagnosed disabilities from other discussions that I have heard. I do have some doubts that everyone who has been diagnosed with autism in the United States have been correctly diagnosed. I think some arguments can be made concerning over-diagnosing certain diseases and disorders in the United States, but the presentation could have been a little less argumentative.

This guy makes me hope that someday he has a child that is Autisic or one of his close relatives have a autisic child

Mr. Savage's Brother was severely handicapped and died in the hospital, so some of this may be some unexpressed guilt or sorrow on his own part.

I just think that there is more context to this story as well as some questions that need to be answered about the medical profession in the United States. There are legitimate arguments that certain mental illnesses such as ADHD and possibly Autism are overdiagnosed in the United States

Source 2

I do not think any one can judge a parent who is making every attempt to raise his or her children, regardless of that child's disabilities. I think it is harder then I could ever imagine.

Reconcile Edited: dbackers on 26th Aug, 2008 - 11:16pm

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
27th Aug, 2008 - 12:11am / Post ID: #

Michael Savage Calls Autism "fraud"

Dbackers, I am surprised by your reply. Did you read/listen the link provided? I don't think anyone is arguing about the over-diagnose of certain conditions but to call autistic children brats, idiots and morons is absolutely out of place and of course stating that 99.9% of cases are not autistic but brats is a very ignorant statement to say the least.

27th Aug, 2008 - 12:41am / Post ID: #

Michael Savage Calls Autism "fraud" Psychology Special & Health

Dbackers, I am surprised by your reply. Did you read/listen the link provided?

I did, and I was shocked by his words on this particular segment.

But I have also heard many of his other statements on autism and they are a little more thought out then this particular snippet. As I have said, It was unfortunate that he expressed himself in that way( He sometimes is more emotional about topics then I would like), but taking his other words into context of the several dozen or so times I have heard him on autism, I see some of his points(again I did not agree with his presentation here nor his sentiments in this segment).

I tend to find many things that Michael Savage says steeped in raw emotions. I sometime find this grating (as in this case) and other times it is an interesting way to listen to the Radio.

I am not defending this segment in the least, and I have tried to understand the difficulties in raising a child with different needs (though I cannot know what it is like).

I had worked with the developmentally disabled for about 5 years as a Caregiver in a home before the current job that I hold (six individuals lived in this home). I saw the love that these individuals are capable of and also saw the challenges that accompany their lives. I gained a greater understanding and love for them, by just being around them.

So I could never be one who would say the things that Michael Savage said in this segment, but I can see that there is a need to discuss the implications of misdiagnosing any disease or disorder (though in a more discrete manner).

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Michael Savage Calls Autism A "fraud"

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,