Ronald Reagan

Ronald Reagan - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 14th Jun, 2004 - 7:16pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Prime Example Of "American" Dream
7th Jun, 2004 - 5:16pm / Post ID: #

Ronald Reagan

Ronald Reagan was the 40th US president. He just died this past weekend at 93 after suffering from Alzeimers for more than 10 years. He was a well loved President. He served two terms and won both of them with wide margins. In fact, he won in Massachusetts both times which is incredible because Massachusetts is a heavily democratic party state. When Nixon won over McGovern by a landslide Massachusetts voted for McGovern.

Anyway, Ronald Reagan was the son of a shoe salesman who became President. We don't often hear of situations like this anymore. So often our politicians are wealthy from birth like Al Gore, George W. Bush, and John Kerry.

International Level: Diplomat / Political Participation: 320 ActivistPoliticianDiplomat 32%

Sponsored Links:
7th Jun, 2004 - 9:35pm / Post ID: #

Reagan Ronald

Here are some interesting facts about Ronald Reagan:

At age 69, Ronald Reagan became the oldest person ever elected president of the United States.
He enjoyed feeding the squirrels that lived outside the Oval Office.
Reagan was twice named TIME magazine's "Man of the Year."
Reagan co-starred with his future wife, Nancy Davis, in the movie "Hellcats of the Navy."
On March 30, 1981 -- just 70 days after taking office -- Reagan was shot by John Hinckley Jr

Info gathered from CNN.com

International Level: Envoy / Political Participation: 241 ActivistPoliticianEnvoy 24.1%

7th Jun, 2004 - 11:59pm / Post ID: #

Ronald Reagan History & Civil Business Politics

He was marvelous at foreign affairs, something I am sure other President's wish they had, but this may be due to his background as an actor. Of course the most famous policy he had on his agenda was, 'Tear down that wall', something that seems to be built on a daily basis now - walls that is.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 3212 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

10th Jun, 2004 - 12:00pm / Post ID: #

Reagan Ronald

Ronald Wilson Reagan, the 40th president of the United States, was remembered in a somber ceremony Wednesday evening as much for his "kindness, caring and simplicity of good character" as he was for restoring Americans" faith in their country.  https://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5144264/

The number of people who have come out to pay their respects, both in California and Washington, DC, is absolutely incredible. All races, ethnicities, and political party affiliations have been waiting in long lines to pay tribute to this incredible "American Hero."

International Level: Diplomat / Political Participation: 320 ActivistPoliticianDiplomat 32%

10th Jun, 2004 - 12:40pm / Post ID: #

Reagan Ronald

I don't know much about him as President but definetly he was very charismatic and have a tremendous sense of humor. He always had a smile on his face. A very charming man. My respects to his dear wife and family.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 1089 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

10th Jun, 2004 - 1:20pm / Post ID: #

Ronald Reagan

I have some links to incredible tributes to Ronald Reagan.

Start with Bob Lonsberry:
https://www.lonsberry.com/writings.cfm?story=1419&go=4
O CAPTAIN! MY CAPTAIN!

https://www.lonsberry.com/writings.cfm?story=1420&go=4
THE LEGACY OF RONALD REAGAN

Ronald Reagan lived the American dream and his legacy to us and our children is the challenge to live it ourselves.

If he did it, so can we. And if we don't try, shame on us.

Not that every American kid is going to grow up to be president of the United States, but some American kid is going to, and the others will have the same chance to follow their talents and aspirations.

He came from nowhere and he built himself into something, and that's all that can be asked of any of us.

Think about it. His dad was a drunk and his upbringing was hardscrabble. There wasn't money and there wasn't a future and in small-town Illinois at the dawn of the Great Depression the prospects weren't very bright. It was a world harder than most of us can imagine.

Yet he came out of it with an unquenchable optimism. And he came out of it one step at a time, climbing from level to level, excelling where he was and planning where he could go. He pulled himself up by his bootstraps.

He lived the American dream.

https://www.opinionjournal.com/columnists/p...n/?id=110005184
Peggy Noonan, who worked on his staff.
Thanks From a Grateful Country

One more: https://themoderatevoice.typepad.com/blog/2..._on_ronald.html
Why In the End So Many People Loved Ronald Reagan
A year or two after he left office, I had to do a show in a huge air hanger at the Marine Base Camp Pendleton. I was told I would be going on right after the special guest. When I got there the special guest was former President Ronald Reagan. He was sitting at a table on a long stage getting ready to deliver a speech to Marines coming home after Gulf War I.

He had to share the stage with some kids. And before the event began you could see his eyes light up when the kids approached him, his joy in talking to them, a huge smile, twinkling eyes -- and their genuine joy in talking with him not just because he was someone who had been president but because he was CONNECTING TO THEM on a personal level.

He wasn't talking down to them. He looked them in the eyes and connected with that little spark that's called the human spirit.

And that's what he seemingly did, as few other presidents had done before (probably the only parallel in recent times is John F Kennedy). It's something that transcends party, policy or spin. It's the ability to truly connect and be with someone, rather than trying to manipulate or sell someone.

In the end, when all the words are written, it may boil down to this, and you can't say this about other politicians of any party: there was a seeming innocence about Ronald Reagan, almost a purity of thought.

I've been looking all over, trying to find where I read this. But I can't find it.

It seems that one time, President Reagan was going to be on Jay Leno's show. Jay can be very, very funny, and frequently tweaks his guests. I don't know whether this was during the presidency, or after, or what the exact situation was. But Jay was somber, and overwhelmed to be in the presence of the President.

President Reagan leaned over to Jay, and commented, "I didn't do so well in school. If I had applied myself more, just think what I could have accomplished."

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 854 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 85.4%

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
14th Jun, 2004 - 7:11pm / Post ID: #

Ronald Reagan

I have found the many personal stories on how people felt about Ronald Reagan, and about how they felt with his passing, to be the strongest indicators of his life.

A young man, born during President Reagan's first term, talked about how he spent 6 hours in line to spend 7 minutes in the Rotunda with the coffin of President Reagan, and how he would do it again.

Peggy Noonan, who was one of President Reagan's speechwriters, talked about how she felt at the funeral, seeing his friends and adversaries there. She also talked about having met Lady Thatcher there, and the great presence she still emanates.

On the other side, I personally know leftists who are disgusted that people spent so much time over the last week and a half honoring this former president. I have read reactions of people who took joy in the fact that he suffered with Alzheimers, and were just pleased as could be that he was finally dead.

He highlighted the polar differences between modern conservatism (based on classical liberalism) and modern liberalism, both in life and in death.

I watched all of the Sunset Service in California. Tears ran down my cheeks as Nancy finally broke down in public. I saluted as the "missing man" formation flew overhead. I couldn't believe that Lady Thatcher was able to hold in the tears.

Great people thought that Ronald Reagan was a great man. He thought he was ordinary.

Rest in peace, Mr. President.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 854 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 85.4%

14th Jun, 2004 - 7:16pm / Post ID: #

Ronald Reagan Politics Business Civil & History

Yes, the ceremony was very moving, especially the eulogies that his kids presented. My wife and I watched as much as we could and had our 9-year old watch it with us, because we wanted her to know about our former President, and what kind of man he was. It was very emotional to watch Nancy break down and be comforted by her children; she was one of the last great First Ladies, and her marriage to Ronald is a prime example of what a marriage should be like. My best goes out to the Reagan family and a country in mourning.

International Level: Envoy / Political Participation: 241 ActivistPoliticianEnvoy 24.1%

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Ronald Reagan

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,