Deseret Phonetic Alphabet

Deseret Phonetic Alphabet - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 27th Aug, 2008 - 5:35pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Post Date: 17th Apr, 2005 - 5:50pm / Post ID: #

In 1854 the Deseret Phonetic Alphabet was adopted to help converts coming from Europe to Utah learn English. This can be viewed here:
https://www.utlm.org/images/deseretalphabet_englishequiv.gif

More information:
https://www.utlm.org/onlineresources/deseretalphabet.htm

Sponsored Links:
17th Apr, 2005 - 10:02pm / Post ID: #

Alphabet Phonetic Deseret

I have never heard of this before now. How interesting. I am surprised it didn't get the support Brigham Young usually got. I wonder how much was his desire to help immigrants and how much was his desire to truly be "a nation unto itself" so to speak. You know if we don't speak the same language, we are a bit more isolated. Even though the pronounciation of the language would remain the same, it would be difficult to be successfully in an area where they wrote the language differently. In fact, it is possible this could have led to a different dialect being spoken as well.

I think the entire concept is quite intriguing.

Post Date: 29th Apr, 2005 - 1:08pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Deseret Phonetic Alphabet Studies Doctrine Mormon

I've heard about it a couple of times. Brigham Young wanted a special way for the Saints to communicate without having the Gentiles understanding what we were saying. Unfortunenatly it didn't work it only lasted a little while. There were several books published in it, I think they even published a Book of Mormon in it also.

Post Date: 28th Apr, 2007 - 2:21pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

I've heard about it a couple of times. Brigham Young wanted a special way for the Saints to communicate without having the Gentiles understanding what we were saying.

Why would Brigham Young, or the Church, want to speak in a secret language? What were they hiding that required a secret language?

In my opinion, that works against all that God is--Truth!

5th May, 2007 - 8:24pm / Post ID: #

The Desseret Alphabet is not really a language. It is a phonetic alphabet that is used to speak English. It was designed to help Mormon immigrants to learn to speak English since being phonetic was easier to learn. It also had the advantage of being used to send messages back and forth that you did not want the U.S. government to have. (I think that this reasoning was not used very often.) It did not really take well, simply because who wants to learn a new alphabet. I have an authentic Book of Mormon written in the Desseret Alphabet. It is a neat keepsake but I will never read it.

Post Date: 10th May, 2007 - 11:56pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Thank you Isiah53...that explains the purpose in a much more desirable light. I'm glad it wasn't a covert language after all.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
27th Aug, 2008 - 4:07pm / Post ID: #

I heard that the reason the Deseret Phonetic Alphabet was dropped out of usage is that it was suppose to make learning English easier, but it instead made it harder to learn. If anyone has pitchers of the alphabet, please post them. I"ve seen pitchers of the alphabet and the Deseret characters look nothing like English.
Look at this Wikipedia entry: Source 2

Reconcile Edited: haleray on 27th Aug, 2008 - 4:08pm

27th Aug, 2008 - 5:35pm / Post ID: #

Deseret Phonetic Alphabet Mormon Doctrine Studies

I just hope that the written language that is used in the hereafter is strictly phonetic. If I have to learn to spell in the Adamic language and it is not phonetic I am not sure that it would really be heaven. English phonetics are nuts. I much prefer reading languages like Hungarian or Spanish which are a lot more phonetic in nature.

> TOPIC: Deseret Phonetic Alphabet

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,