Do Hugs Promote Physical And Emotional Health?

Do Hugs Promote Physical Emotional Health - Psychology, Special Needs, Health - Posted: 29th Apr, 2020 - 12:15pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

?
Poll: What kind of hugs do you give?
  The Bear Hug       25.00%
  The Full Body Hug       25.00%
  The Brief Greeting Hug       25.00%
  The \'Burping\' or Back Patting Hug       0.00%
  The One Arm Hug       0.00%
  The Cheek Hug       0.00%
  Barely Any Hug       25.00%
Total Votes: 8
Guests Cannot Vote - Join To Add Your Vote! 
Do you enjoy hugs & give them to others?
Post Date: 26th Jan, 2005 - 8:39pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

I have known a lot of people who could be termed as 'huggy' type people. I learned about some scientific studies on hugs a long time ago that I found interesting and I wanted to share some information about hugs with you.

The theory is that touch is not only nice. It's needed! Scientific research supports the theory that stimulation by touch is absolutely necessary for our physical as well as our emotional well-being.

Therapeutic touch, recognized as an essential tool for healing, is now part of nurses' training in several large medical centers. Touch is used to help relieve pain and depression and anxiety, to bolster a patient's will to live, and to help premature babies who have been deprived of touch in their incubator to grow and thrive.  Article:  https://www.survivingburns.org/HugTherapy1.html

The above article lists:

Results of Scientific Experiments
The Power of Hugging
Good Things from Hugging
Even More Benefits from Hugging

Here are some guidelines to remember when giving someone a hug from website (very cute, I recommend a visit): https://www.gagirl.com/hugs/hug.html

Be compassionate, not passionate --
communicate comfort and caring.

Ask for permission -- hugging requires a sender and receiver. Accepting that hugging isn't for everyone is simply another form of understanding and acceptance.

Ask permission when you need a hug. Hugging for wellness is a practice of sharing -- if you need a hug simply ask for one. And if you receive a hug, let the sender know you are appreciative.

Take responsibility for expressing what you need.

What is your preference when it comes to hugs. Do you find them to be intrusive to your personal space? Do you really enjoy them? Do you like them only if a hug occurs between you and someone you know? Do you think it has any affect on your physical health, and if so, would it cause you to hug others more often?

Reconcile Edited: dawnofthenew on 26th Jan, 2005 - 9:53pm

Sponsored Links:
26th Jan, 2005 - 10:25pm / Post ID: #

Health Emotional Physical Promote Hugs Do

I am from a country where we hug and kiss a lot. It is part of our culture...it makes us feel closer to each other. I miss that sometimes. I do agree with the study that physical contact it is very important, specially in children. Expressions of love can be manifested in many ways and think that hugs and kisses and physical affections of these type can help the emotional health of an individual.

Post Date: 1st Mar, 2005 - 11:49pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Do Hugs Promote Physical And Emotional Health? Health & Special Psychology

I love giving/getting hugs! I am definately huggy. I voted for full body hugs, but it really depends on who I'm hugging. If I'm hugging somebody I don't really know at church, then I'll give a brief hug with a pat on the back. If I'm hugging a member of the opposite sex who is not my boyfriend, family member, or long lost brother, then I'll do the "pastor hug," or the sideways hug. It just makes me feel so good to get a really big hug, and it definately makes my day.

2nd Mar, 2005 - 3:13am / Post ID: #

I always joke that my "personal space" is so large, that everyone in the office is obstructing it. My family was never the "touchy feely" sort. I definitely am not! I do not mind the hugs and touching with my wife and children, but it is not for others. It is rather amazing though. Body language must say quite a bit, as those that are "touchy feely" with others will actually not even attempt to put a hand on me. Must be that or word gets around! laugh.gif

"Close-talkers" absolutely annoy me to no end (especially those with bad breath)!

Vincenzo

2nd Mar, 2005 - 3:59pm / Post ID: #

I grew up in a family that used hugs on a daily basis to greet others. When I met my wife, her family was quite the opposite and I found myself lunging forward to hug people who were very unresponsive to my advances. Like LDS_forever stated, some cultures promote the use of hugs as a personal greeting.
When I give hugs it is usually the brief greeting hug, and I am usually waiting to see if the person looks like they are expecting to receive/give a hug. I developed this patience after having moved away from my family and realizing that not everyone wants to hug me. tongue.gif

16th Mar, 2007 - 2:18pm / Post ID: #

I've not been brought up in a very 'huggy' family, my family do give each member a kiss on the cheek when they see them, and one to say goodbye, other than that, there was no hugs.
I have always given my kids hugs, and my eldest son and his friends always greet each other with a huge hug.
I normally find myself holding my hand out to people to shake hands, only for them to ignore that gesture and either give me a huge hug, or a kiss on either side of the cheek.
I think maybe it's just me that was raised at arms length! laugh.gif

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
29th Apr, 2020 - 12:15pm / Post ID: #

Do Hugs Promote Physical Emotional Health

It's a yes or no type of thing for me. I dislike hugs from anyone except those I deem super close to me. Basically, my husband or my mom. I am less tense when my in-laws hug me, but it's taken eight years to get to this point. For co-workers, it's the same, as I get a little tense when we hug, but it's not horrible.

> TOPIC: Do Hugs Promote Physical And Emotional Health?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,