The Culture Of Entitlement In T&T

The Culture Entitlement T - Trinidad, Tobago / Caribbean - Posted: 3rd Sep, 2008 - 11:46pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

4th Feb, 2008 - 5:32pm / Post ID: #

The Culture Of Entitlement In T&T

I read this article of Sunday's Guardian and I could not believe how bold (Stone- face I would call her) this TSTT secretary is to write the top CEO of the company and stated she was "appalled" the fact that Carnival 2008 has come and no T-shirts were distributed to the staff of TSTT. rolleyes.gif She was even upset that CUSTOMERS got the t-shirts first! This is to show you the mentality of some of these employers. They feel somehow they are "entitled" To it. Why I ask? Why? Sadly enough, the Chief Executive (NOT a Trinidadian by the way) had to apologize to this woman for a misunderstanding but I completely agree with what he said about the culture of entitlement. What do you think?

international QUOTE
Who is this fool?

That was the response of Roberto Peon chief executive officer of Telecommunications Services of T&T (TSTT) to an e-mail from one of the company's secretaries complaining that TSTT had not printed and distributed Carnival T-shirts to the employees as was customary.

Peon yesterday apologised to the employee and the staff for what he admitted was an inappropriate reply.

Peon said he felt 'strongly against" the culture of "entitlement" that persisted among some TSTT employees.

The e-mail that sparked the response was sent to TSTT's vice president-human resources Edgehill Messiah and copied to Peon.

The secretary said, "I am appalled by the fact that Carnival 2008 has come and no T-shirts were distributed to the staff of TSTT." She also complained that the company had distributed t-shirts, bandanas, and hats, among other things, to people who attended the bmobile-sponsored concerts at Woodford Square, Port-of-Spain, over the past five days, but TSTT staff had got nothing.

She said the company had not even informed staff there would be no T-shirts.

Upon receiving the e-mail, Peon wrote his response and reportedly tried to forward the e-mail to another manager. However, he mistakenly sent his reply to the original sender.

Peon wrote a personal letter of apology to the secretary involved.

It read, "I can honestly say that the e-mail was not intended to reflect upon you in a personal way, but displayed frustration with some of the entitlement issues that keep coming up, especially when we have so many challenges facing us as a company. In fact, with all that is going on right now in our external battles with many parties, my response would likely have been the same even if it was someone from our executive team who had sent me something of that nature."

In a separate message to employees, Peon reminded staff of the need to focus on customers first.

He said, "Everything we receive, whether its salary, bonuses, T-shirts, bandanas, uniforms, long service awards-everything is possible only to the extent that our customers perceive that we are worthy to be their service provider. We must understand that we do not have any inalienable rights to anything. It can all be gone tomorrow if our customers decide so."

Sponsored Links:
3rd Sep, 2008 - 2:39am / Post ID: #

TampT Entitlement Culture The

Well in life, of course, no one owes anybody else anything. I find it strange that the woman in the article hasn't realised that in her daily life.

3rd Sep, 2008 - 11:46pm / Post ID: #

The Culture Of Entitlement In T&T Caribbean / Tobago & Trinidad

Maybe no one told her she should not look out for a t-shirt in all the years she worked there, so whose fault is that? You spoil workers for years and then expect them to suddenly straighten up and learn things like customer service? Puh-puh-please.

> TOPIC: The Culture Of Entitlement In T&T

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,