Proposition 8 - Same-Sex Marriage - Page 7 of 12

Then it will now mean that the judiciary has - Page 7 - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 25th May, 2009 - 11:42pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 12 pgs.  3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  ...Latest (12) »
Prop 8 - California's Marriage Challenge - Gay Marriage
Post Date: 4th Mar, 2009 - 8:12pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Proposition 8 - Same-Sex Marriage - Page 7

Same-sex marriage initiative put to test

There is little common ground between those on either side of the charged debate over marriage in California. But on the eve of the state Supreme Court hearing in San Francisco on Proposition 8, which prohibits same-sex marriage, advocates on both sides describe the issue in similar high-stakes rhetoric. Ref. Source 8

4th Mar, 2009 - 9:17pm / Post ID: #

Marriage Same-Sex Proposition

JB

I was also surprised by the number in support of this, it just goes to show that Hollywood is not speak for all of California although they would like it so.

You would be surprised at how conservative California is, outside of the major population centers.

Source one

In looking at this Link one can see that much of California (at least Geographically) is actually quite conservative. (And this is from a very liberal website who bemoans the passing of Prop 8).

Rather off topic, but...

This map almost looks like the rest of our country where the urban centers tend to be liberal and the more rural centers tend to be conservative. I live in a very redstate part of Arizona and I see the same trend here with the Liberal influences mainly seen in Phoenix and Tucson with a bunch of conservatives surrounding these cities.

International Level: Politician / Political Participation: 109 ActivistPoliticianPolitician 10.9%

5th Mar, 2009 - 5:05pm / Post ID: #

Proposition 8 - Same-Sex Marriage History & Civil Business Politics

The main question now is this: Does a vote of the people overrule a court ruling. I'm interested to see how this plays out.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 3216 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

5th Mar, 2009 - 6:44pm / Post ID: #

Page 7 Marriage Same-Sex Proposition

In any right thinking mind, the power of the people should overrule the power of the court.

It is a travesty that 3 to 9 men and women have the power to overrule the will of the people because they think that the people are misguided or wrong. It is an Oligarchy (the power lies in a powerful elite) when a small group of people can decide the fate of a nation, and it seems that the United States is headed in that direction (unfortunately, it may already be there).

I say down with the oligarchy, down with tyranny (I sound like a radical now). Let the people decide for themselves either way.

International Level: Politician / Political Participation: 109 ActivistPoliticianPolitician 10.9%

Post Date: 6th Mar, 2009 - 11:31am / Post ID: #

Marriage Same-Sex Proposition

Justices seem inclined to uphold Proposition 8

SAN FRANCISCO - The state Supreme Court seemed ready yesterday to allow Proposition 8, the voter-approved measure banning same-sex marriage, to remain part of the state constitution. Ref. Source 9

Post Date: 25th May, 2009 - 11:45am / Post ID: #

Proposition 8 - Same-Sex Marriage

California court likely to uphold Prop. 8

SACRAMENTO, Calif. - California's Supreme Court will issue a ruling Tuesday that will either uphold Proposition 8, the gay-marriage ban, or overturn it as illegal and unconstitutional. The much-anticipated 11 a.m. MDT announcement will open a new chapter in the struggle over gay marriage. Court observers say the state's high court is unlikely to invalidate the ban. Ref. Source 3

25th May, 2009 - 11:39pm / Post ID: #

Proposition 8 Same-Sex Marriage - Page 7

With several other states in the US approving same-sex marriage in the past few months, I can easily see California following suit. Either way, we will see a huge reaction in certain segments of the population. Get ready for battle.

International Level: Ambassador / Political Participation: 595 ActivistPoliticianAmbassador 59.5%

25th May, 2009 - 11:42pm / Post ID: #

Proposition 8 Same-Sex Marriage Politics Business Civil & History - Page 7

Then it will now mean that the judiciary has more power than the voters, something I do not understand. The majority's wishes are supposed to reign over the few, not so? The US is getting all mixed up.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 3216 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Thank you for your continued support of our Community.

> TOPIC: Proposition 8 - Same-Sex Marriage

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,