International Adoptions With Vietnam Suspended

International Adoptions Vietnam Suspended - Culture, Family, Travel, Consumer Reviews - Posted: 25th Sep, 2008 - 6:24pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

25th Sep, 2008 - 5:07pm / Post ID: #

International Adoptions With Vietnam Suspended

Prospective adoptive parents and adoption service providers should be aware that the Vietnamese Department of International Adoptions (DIA) suspended the acceptance of new adoption dossiers on July 1, 2008.  The DIA will continue to process cases received prior to July 1, 2008.  The bilateral adoption agreement, required by Vietnamese law to authorize adoptions between the United States and Vietnam, expires on September 1, 2008.  Prospective adoptive parents who have been matched with a child (received a formal referral) by September 1 will be allowed to process their adoption to conclusion.  Dossiers that have not received a referral by September 1 will be closed and returned to the adoption service provider. 

U.S. field investigations continue to reveal incidents of serious adoption irregularities, including forged or altered documentation, cash payment to birth mothers (for other than reasonable payments for necessary activities such as administrative, court, legal, translation, and/or medical services related to the adoption), coercion or deceit to induce the birth parent(s) to release children to an orphanage, and children being offered for intercountry adoption without the knowledge or consent of their birth parents.  During the month of June 2008, five children were reunited with their families after investigations by the U.S. Embassy in Vietnam revealed that the birth parents had not consented to their adoption.  In July, Vietnamese media reported that police in the northern province of Nam Dinh arrested three people, including two communal health officials, for alleged child buying and creating fraudulent documentation purporting that these children had been deserted.  These children had also been illegally offered for intercountry adoption; the investigation is ongoing.  Vietnamese officials have informed the U.S. Embassy in Hanoi that similar investigations are occurring in other provinces.

Source 5

Source 8

I'm not sure which category this topic falls under. This is the closest I could come up with. I have seen so many success stories on international adoptions and I know of many couples who are hoping to have a family by adopting internationally. It sounds like some people were exploiting these children and their families out of greed. I am glad they are doing something to stop the corrupt practices, but feel bad for those who have had their dreams crushed because of it. Hopefully a new system can be developed that will protect the interest of all concerned.

Sponsored Links:
25th Sep, 2008 - 6:24pm / Post ID: #

Suspended Vietnam Adoptions International

We are debating doing this as we would like a daughter. But other countries are open just more expensive. I am glad if the children benefit more in the end. Plus adopting Canadian is getting better slowly.

> TOPIC: International Adoptions With Vietnam Suspended

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,