Canada: Corporal Punishment

Canada Corporal Punishment - Sciences, Education, Art, Writing, UFO - Posted: 7th Oct, 2008 - 3:43pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Canada, Canadian Did you know that?
6th Oct, 2008 - 4:26pm / Post ID: #

Did anyone know that corporal punishment is allowed in the school system in Canada? Can you believe that!

43. Every schoolteacher, parent or person standing in the place of a parent is justified in using force by way of correction toward a pupil or child, as the case may be, who is under his care, if the force does not exceed what is reasonable under the circumstances.

R.S., c. C-34, s. 43.

Source 7

But then there seems to be a reform:

The Supreme Court of Canada ruled in January 2004 that parents have a limited right to use physical punishment. The court ruled as follows:

* *The court did not strike down Sec. 43 in the criminal code, which
    allows physical punishment of children by parents and teachers.*
  * *School corporal punishment in both public and private schools is
    banned*, immediately because the Court removed the defense. Just
    as in the you.S. states that now prohibit school corporal
    punishment, teachers in Canada will still be able to use physical
    force to remove a student or prevent immediate threats of harm to
    person or property, but they can no longer be subjected to
    physical punishment.
  * *Parents may no longer spank, slap or otherwise use any corporal
    punishment on children under the age of two or older than 12*.
    Such action would now fall under assault laws.
  * *Parents may still strike children ages 3 through 12, but may not
    hit with an object*, such as a paddle, belt, switch, etc.
  * *Parents may not hit an age 3 to 12 child on the head or face*
    under any circumstance.

It seems to be one of those old laws that nobody really enforces.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 7th Oct, 2008 - 2:31pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Punishment Corporal Canada

I like how the court is telling PARENTS what they can and con not do to help them raise their children right. I notice that as a parent I can not strike my teens. I have seen a lot of teens that need a swift slap to let them know they are crossing the line. I am glad that I am not in Canada.

7th Oct, 2008 - 2:39pm / Post ID: #

Canada: Corporal Punishment UFO & Writing Art Education Sciences

QUOTE (KNtoran @ 7-Oct 08, 10:31 AM)
I have seen a lot of teens that need a swift slap to let them know they are crossing the line.

Is that your only method Klar? Is it legal in your state to strike your children? I have seen a lot of PARENTS who need a swift slap. rolleyes.gif

Teachers in Canada or anywhere else should not be allowed to physically punish a child under any circumstance. Also I agree in laws that protect children, specially toddlers and babies from the brutal abuse we see happening every day in the news.

Post Date: 7th Oct, 2008 - 3:43pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Punishment Corporal Canada

No that is not may only method. But I dislike the government or the courts trying to tell me how to raise my children. If they are so good at raising children then why do they allow us to keep them?

I do not use corporal punishment if I can help it. I would rather not use it at all. But at times it is necessary. I do not and will not beat any child. That is abuse and I am against it. Corporal punishment should not be something parents use as a way to beat their children. Usually a time out will work of a quick smack on the back side. Usually this is done by the mother rather than the father.

> TOPIC: Canada: Corporal Punishment

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,