Mormon Autistics - Autistic LDS - Autism & Mormons

- Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 17th Nov, 2008 - 4:08pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (10) »
Autistic Mormons Autism - Aspergers - Special Needs - High Functioning - Low Functioning - Autism In Mormonism - Special needs Members that face challenges in the world as Members of the Church. Are Church leaders and teachers sensitive to the issues surrounding those who may need their support with understanding the special needs of those around them? Controversial Mormon Issue.
14th Oct, 2008 - 2:55am / Post ID: #

As the mother of Felipe my special needs child who has autism, I found the story of Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin (About his autistic grandson) in the last general conference sad and at the same time refreshing. Only those who have special needs children, specially with autism, know that the journey is long, filled with disappointments, frustrations and tears but also with laughs and moments of peace when you realize there is a higher purpose of why a special needs child was placed in your care by a loving Heavenly Father.

international QUOTE
"Because Heavenly Father is merciful, a principle of compensation prevails. I have seen this in my own life. My grandson Joseph has autism. It has been heartbreaking for his mother and father to come to grips with the implications of this affliction.

They knew that Joseph would probably never be like other children. They understood what that would mean not only for Joseph but for the family as well. But what a joy he has been to us. Autistic children often have a difficult time showing emotion, but every time I"M with him, Joseph gives me a big hug. While there have been challenges, he has filled our lives with joy.

His parents have encouraged him to participate in sports. When he first started playing baseball, he was in the outfield. But I don't think he grasped the need to run after loose balls. He thought of a much more efficient way to play the game. When a ball was hit in his direction, Joseph watched it go by and then pulled another baseball out of his pocket and threw that one to the pitcher.

Any reservations that his family may have had in raising Joseph, any sacrifices they have made have been compensated tenfold. Because of this choice spirit, his mother and father have learned much about children with disabilities. They have witnessed firsthand the generosity and compassion of family, neighbors, and friends. They have rejoiced together as Joseph has progressed. They have marveled at his goodness."

Sponsored Links:
25th Oct, 2008 - 6:07am / Post ID: #

Mormons and Autism LDS Autistic Autistics Mormon

It is good to see some talks dealing with these Topics. I think Members just as the rest of the public needs to be educated about persons with Autism and why they do the things they do. I also think teachers and leaders need to understand the constraints involved. Just because something works for everyone else does not mean it works for that special Member or those who have to take care of that Member. Environment plays a key role for autistic persons, most do not understand that a sound, or something said can easily set them off for the day.

Post Date: 7th Nov, 2008 - 5:54pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Mormon Autistics - Autistic LDS - Autism & Mormons Studies Doctrine Mormon

I don't know what to say without sounding phony or anything. That kind of sucks for you though. To bad there isn't some kind of way to pull them out of their shell.

That has got to be some trial and tribulation for people that seam so structured about everything. That has got to be messing with you quite a bit. That has got to take an exercise of extreme God like patients.

Maybe there will be some kind of neurological cure for it one day.

God bless

Post Date: 15th Nov, 2008 - 8:36am / Post ID: #

A Friend

LDS Forever

Only those who have special needs children, specially with autism
, know that the journey is long, filled with disappointments, frustrations and tears but also with laughs and moments of peace when you realize there is a higher purpose of why a special needs child was placed in your care by a loving Heavenly Father.

Also, those who have worked with autistic children, know the long road, frustrations, and disappointments. Those who work closely with autistic people do become emotionally involved as well. I grew up in a family where members of my family (my older siblings--they were much older than me) worked with clients that were autistic. We had many of these children (mainly those whose parents could not care for them) over for dinners and just to hang out with us. They became an extension of our family.
The road is very long, difficult and discouraging at times, but through the gospel we know there is hope and a loving Heavenly Father who has a plan for each one of his children, especially those with special needs. It is ourselves who end up learning so much from these autistic children, and are lives have been blessed to have them in our lives. I can remember as a child, I was scared of many of the "different" people that my brother would bring over to our house, not just autistic, but many other types of seriously developmentally disabled individuals. Believe me, I have story after story. Anyhow, once I became more comfortable, I grew to love all of these people so much. I truly believe Heavenly Father sent some special spirits down indeed. Remember, what a special person you must be for Heavenly Father to choose you to send such a special spirit to your home to be raised and taught the gospel. If you try to keep this perspective, I hope it will ease your pain a little by embracing what an important role you have.

Dbackers has failed to mention that he worked with all kinds of people with developmental disabilities, not just autism, but serious brain injuries, too. He has quite a bit of knowledge about taking care of individuals with autism as well as other capacities. He may have some advice or comments to make. He just doesn't like to get too personal sometimes.

16th Nov, 2008 - 1:50am / Post ID: #

Why are we saying "Mormon Autistics" seems like a label? They should just be our brothers and sisters in the Lord.

16th Nov, 2008 - 12:13pm / Post ID: #

QUOTE (Pianomom @ 15-Nov 08, 4:36 AM)
Also, those who have worked with autistic children, know the long road, frustrations, and disappointments. Those who work closely with autistic people do become emotionally involved as well.

I agree. I hope what I am going to say does not sound unfair because isn't the intention but even those who work with special needs children go home after a long day and at the end of the day no matter how emotionally involved they can be and how much they love these kids, they're not theirs....the feeling isn't the same. In the past, when I used to see a kid with special needs it used to break my heart specially kids I personally knew and interacted with but the pain a parent goes through with a special needs child is very different.

Remember, what a special person you must be for Heavenly Father to choose you to send such a special spirit to your home to be raised and taught the gospel.  If you try to keep this perspective, I hope it will ease your pain a little by embracing what an important role you have.

Thank you for your kind words. I believe everyone has a mission to fulfill in this life, maybe mine and my husband's is to raise a special needs family, actually I feel it is many times. Having a child with special needs have changed our lives in so many ways and I am grateful the Lord sent our son to our home and not to another one where he could have ended up being abused. I believe it was Brigham Young who said the reason many kids are abused, etc is because less and less couples are willing to receive these Spirits Heavenly Father wants to send them.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 17th Nov, 2008 - 3:27pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Mormon Autistics Autistic LDS Autism & Mormons

lds forever

In the past, when I used to see a kid with special needs it used to break my heart specially kids I personally knew and interacted with but the pain a parent goes through with a special needs child is very different.

I totally agree with you. Parents of special needs children are really the only ones who understand the whole spectrum of problems, and they have the most interest invested as parents are the ones who love their child more than anyone else. No one else will love your child like you. I just wanted to make sure you knew that you were not alone. There are loving, supportive people that work with these children who do care about them and desire to help them the best they can. Of course, they don't love your child as much as you because a parent's love is too deep to even describe.

However, I do have to point out, that unfortunately, many autistic children and other special needs children are not as lucky to have such wonderful parents as you seem to be. Unfortunately and very sadly, I have seen the results of abuse and many of these children, have been institutionalized. This is not because of their "original" (for lack of a better word) problem--that being autism, but many are sent to institutions because of the harsh physical and emotional abuse they have endured at the hand of their parents. Their parents could not handle the stress of dealing with their child, and took it out on the child. It is so sad. I have seen the tragic results. Members of my family have worked with children and adults, who are only placed in group homes and other programs, only because of abuse. I have several personal stories I could share, but they are too painful to even talk about.

Your child is very lucky to have you for a parent. Heavenly Father entrusted you with a very special spirit, and how important and difficult your job is. My sister has two children that are autistic, and I am fully aware of the day to day struggles she goes through with them as she shares them with me.
Rather off topic, but...
Her son, who is know 11, organized a Scavenger Hunt for his sister for her birthday that lasted for 2 hours and 30 minutes. Another Scavenger Hunt for a younger sibling lasted 2 hours and 5 minutes. The hunt was very detailed with hints from different movie clips and such. He did an awesome job.
I wish you only the best with your son with autism. It seems as though you understand the role Heavenly Father has in store for you, and if you trust in Him, he will help you in raising your son. Remember, after all, he is Heavenly Father's son, too. Of course, he wants to help you raise Him. Go to him in prayer and faith, and I know he will help you find the answers you are looking for.

17th Nov, 2008 - 4:08pm / Post ID: #

Mormon Autistics Autistic LDS Autism & Mormons Mormon Doctrine Studies

QUOTE (Pianomom @ 17-Nov 08, 11:27 AM)
I just wanted to make sure you knew that you were not alone. There are loving, supportive people that work with these children who do care about them and desire to help them the best they can.

Maybe in the US? Unfortunately, I haven't met many of these people where I live but quite the opposite. Our son was removed from 3 different special needs schools because he has been both a witness and a victim of corporal punishment by the hands of teachers, an archaic method of discipline that even though is now technically illegal, still enforced, accepted and encouraged by most parents in schools. That's why I home school.

Rather off topic, but...
We created a site about the special needs of our son. Feel free to check it out:

Source 3

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (10) »

> TOPIC: Mormon Autistics - Autistic LDS - Autism & Mormons

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,